+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting Prepared for Surgery  (Read 2347 times)

ajw

Getting Prepared for Surgery
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:31:28 AM »
Hello everyone, my name is Andy Jones-Wilkins, I am a 47 year old male and have been running ultra marathons since my early 20's.  I am scheduled for hip re-surfacing surgery with Dr. Gross on Monday, September 21st.  I would love to know what I can do over the next few weeks to be as well prepared as possible for the surgery and the immediate aftermath.  I am having the procedure in the surgical center not the hospital and my wife is accompanying me.  We are traveling from Charlottesville, VA for the surgery.  Any advice from the veterans out there?  And, in particular, people who have successfully returned to running?  Thanks.

karlos.bell

Re: Getting Prepared for Surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »
 :D Hi Andy. Not from the US but Dr Gross is well represented here you will be in goods hands.
Q? Bilateral? or Unilateral?  there are Hr runners on this site , have also met previous marathon runners like your self but they choose not to run anymore with the risk of more surgery.
In the end its a decision up to you and where you would like to go. I prefer the mountain bike now. But one also needs to be careful again as injury falling off these can be another issue.
Good luck Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:33:48 PM »
Your surgery date is getting close but you need to work on your upper body and your core.  Upper strength will be important in your recovery.

In the week before my surgery, I tried to run again figuring that I had nothing to lose.  I didn't last long but at least I tried.

Good luck with your surgery and your recovery.  You'll be running again next season.

Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

surfhippy

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 01:14:13 PM »
Just be in the best shape you can. I also had out-patient surgery with Dr. Gross, and the rehab has been pretty easy as I went into it in good shape. I surf and ride my mountainbike all the time, and it helped. It has been hard not engaging in my activities for 5 months, but the wait will be worth it. After surgery, be patient, and follow the guidelines. I just walk, and swim a lot and I feel great. We drove back to Florida and it wasn't nearly as bad as I tought it would be. Long live pain meds! Good luck!
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat