+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: THR recommendations?  (Read 3124 times)

Debcoco

THR recommendations?
« on: September 08, 2015, 02:34:56 PM »
Has anyone had an anterior THR?  Just curious as to the pros and cons of posterior versus anterior. 

deb

RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: THR recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »
Hi Deb

The anterior approach requires a surgeon that does a lot of them.  Experience is key.

I have a website with some info

http://www.anterior-approach-thr.com/

Patients post op recovery is faster, but again you need a really good surgeon.  You also want to make sure you get a large ball, probably ceramic THR.  Smaller ones have restrictions.

I know Dr. Stuchin from hip resurfacing courses.  He is an excellent surgeon land does a lot of very famous people.  Here is some interesting info he shared with me:

1.   I have something new on Anterior total hip that I have been doing that you might like. As you may know the usual incision is longitudinal and in the front of the thigh. It is quite visible and not very cosmetic as it sticks out below the level of a bathing suit. I have been using the Anteriot Bikini approach. The incision is buried in the natural skin crease where the leg joins the hip. Flex your hip and you will see where it is and why it is so cosmetic. Obviously it is not for everyone, but in the right patient it is quite satisfying. As an example, I have a patient who  used to model. Appearances for her are quite important. The inciosion has blended in to her natural lines and to all intents and purposes is not visible.

2. For Anterior approach, at this point I mostly use the Zimmer ML taper stem. As you may know different companies have different ideas about how long  the neck should be on the stem. This in turn affects how long or short the whole leg can be. As you know I have apretty high demand crowd. My leg lengths are within 3-4mm of equal- an undetectable difference and very important to people to have equal leg lengths. The Zimmer M-L taper has been the most useful to me in this regard, though I am looking at some other designs.
Dr. Stuchin is from NY.  His listing is here
http://www.anterior-approach-thr.com/surgeon-list.php
and here   http://www.hipsforyou.com/doctorslist.php
The list also shows other anterior approach surgeons.  Some have done like Dr. Matta from CA who has done over 2000.  And Dr. Kreutzer from Texas  over 2500.
Take a look at the list and find a really experienced surgeon.  Some use a special table and some don't.
Good Luck and let us know how things go.
Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Debcoco

Re: THR recommendations?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:18:21 PM »
Hi Pat,
Thank-you so very much! Your anterior approach website is fantastic as well as all of the links and tons of information! And the personal stories in the link to "hip stories about total hip replacement" are so encouraging! I will continue reading as the days go by.  Just so much good info!

Yes, I will keep you posted.
deb

RBHR, Dr. Richard Sellers, 04 DEC 13

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz