+-

Author Topic: Leg length or muscle tightness  (Read 2744 times)

surfhippy

Leg length or muscle tightness
« on: October 02, 2015, 01:04:14 PM »
I'm just a couple days away from my official release date @ 6 months. We have had surf all week, and I jumped the gun and surfed 3 days in a row, with decent results, and it felt good with no pain during, or after my sessions. The main issues are range of motion and lateral strength. As I was lying on the floor last night stretching, bringing my legs to my chest, I noticed when I put my feet flat on the floor my new hip knee is noticeably higher than my other knee. I don't know if my leg is just longer or if it's muscle that needs to be stretched. When I stand up, everything seems to be level. Anyone have an idea what's going on?
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

MattJersey

Re: Leg length or muscle tightness
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:35:47 PM »
No idea what is going on, but when I have been rowing, or knees to chest/thereabouts, I too have noticed that.

I wonder if it is an illusion, that I had 19 years of it being lower, and now it is closer ...?

Not a problem at all, but interesting.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

JHippy

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 10:15:52 PM »
I just checked and mine are even. Trying to remember if I had the same experience earlier on; I'm thinking that I did but my memory is fuzzy here.

My guess it's much more likely it's probably the position of your hip than leg length. Fortunately that will correct itself.

In fact I don't think lengthening is even possible in HR (other than the thickness of the components, worse case).
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Juno

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 11:07:06 PM »
My right leg was lengthened about 3 mm during surgery and now when I bring my knees together I notice a length difference. I only see it when I pull my knees toward my chest and do not notice it all a when standing. I was slightly bow legged before surgery and now I am not bow legged -- I think my hips now sit differently in the acetabulum.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

John C

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 05:22:02 PM »
Dr Gross measured mine as being 4mm longer after surgery, as confirmed by the PTs doing follow up. He said that he could even things out when he did the other one to match some day. Minor differences like this have to do with how deeply the acetabulum is routed out, and how much is shaved off the head of the femur.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

surfhippy

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:48:19 PM »
Thanks everyone! Some seemed a little odd but I'm going with the flow. I assume it will change as things quite down. I don't notice it when standing or walking, so it's really no big deal I guess. Juno, I noticed when cycling my leg would really stick out to the side, and this felt right. Now my knee is close to the top tube which lets me know the new hip is straight and lined up properly.

karlos.bell

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:04:36 PM »
Surfhippy.
Hopefully the body will adjust new tissue lengths to all concerned ligaments, tendons, muscles to retrain. It is an amazing thing the body when we look at it with lots of changes going on we do not realize. Be positive give it some time and look at the results I am sure you will be fine if you have had a good surgeon help you out (the fitter). Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding with FAI Hyperflexion

surfhippy

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 11:04:12 AM »
Thanks karlos, I'm about to get into some yoga, and getting some muscle work to loosen things up. It's nice to feel good!

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats