+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting annoyed by the uneducated  (Read 2692 times)

gasyz

Getting annoyed by the uneducated
« on: October 11, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »
Had my new bhr fitted by Mr Treacy 5 weeks ago and couldn't be more happy at this stage,just a shame not everyone shares my view.Obviously being on crutches for a while gets people asking what's the matter,just had my hip resurfaced I tell them which gets the sucking through teeth reaction from the concerned person in front of me.Then they proceed to tell me stories of gloom and doom about some elderly relative who had a new hip which dislocated every time they went to knitting club and in the end it killed them.Don't worry I say implants are a lot better these days and anyway I've had a  metal on metal hip resurfacing.With that I usually get a look like I've got 2 months to live and get told how they've read or been told that it's going to fail for sure.As I tell them that I've done all my home work and chosen the best surgeon I can,they look in disbelief and go away muttering.
Only today I was spectating at an extreme enduro(motorbike) when I was approached by a limping ex rider telling me how he had a ceramic and poly thr and wasn't advised to ride anymore.when he asked if I would ride again I said yep hope so,I've got no restrictions after 6 months.I'll just pad up really well and ride with a bit more caution.No restrictions he said,why.Because I've had a Birmingham hip resurface I said.I almost knew then what the reaction was going to be.He looked me straight in the eye and said it's going to break up.what do mean it's going to break up I said.there sh-t he said.with that I gave a dirty look and walked off ( without a limp).
It's such a shame there's so many experts out there ready to dish out stories of doom from their limited knowledge.
Perhaps more people could be benefiting from resurfacing if it wasn't for the scaremongering of the uneducated.
Sorry for the spelling,gramma and ramblings because I am also uneducated, but 110% sure I have made the right decision and in time I will get back to riding/racing motorbikes and mountain bikes( and I will kick some butt).
Rbhr 60/54
Ronan Treacy, 5th September 2015

Jon

Re: Getting annoyed by the uneducated
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
That's a funny post.  You're obviously not going to let them get you down.

Ride hard, don't limp, kick butt and enjoy life...!

McMinn RBHR, December 2011

China Lady

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »
Ha......let them talk......
After 3 month I was back on my sidecar (BMW R 1200 GS), the crutches always in the "car". When Dr. Brockwll was sure, that I could do it, I rode the G 650 GS again. (Without mounting it like a stranded walrus)
..... I will find out

surfhippy

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 11:32:17 AM »
I know someone who just had thr on both hips. When I told her I had resurfacing, her reply was that it would buy me a couple of years. I had to correct her with the facts on longevity with resurfacing, and that I had no limitations after 6 months. Her jaw dropped. I'm 2 weeks past my release date, and have surfed 6 times, ridden my mountain bike 4-5 times, with 2 times being around 20 miles each. I feel so good, I'm going camping in western North Carolina for a 4 day mountain biking trip this weekend.
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:06:35 AM »
I had mine done with Dr Treacy too. Found him to be very supportive and very quick to respond to emails with questions.

I found people to be more puzzled than skeptical when I explain what I had done. And the most common response was "aren't you too young for a hip replacement" at which point I have to repeat myself and explain the difference.

Good luck with your recovery  :)

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 08:16:51 AM »
I am a Treacy Bilat and am one of the younger members on her i think. 28 at the time of my left 32 for my right. I am back training in judo, bjj and boxing. I also do some jogging and lots in the gym. I intend to try and complete an ironman probably in 2017/18. I have had all of the condisending crap from loads of people including some surgeons who when asked to back up thier stupid statements with published evidence couldnt!

I am a huge Treacy fan he's done more BHR's than ANYONE and i was told by a family friend who happens to be a hip surgeon if he had to have an arthroplasty in the hip then Mr Treacy would be the man he would go to and that is a very big endorsement from a well renowned surgeon himself!

Dont listen to the nay sayers. i find it quite ammusing when ive just choked some cocky arrogant idiot half unconcious and they ask why ive not competed for years and my reply is im coming back form a double hip replacement they are gobsmaked ;)
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz