+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Was This Major Setback Avoidable?  (Read 3039 times)

Comfortably Numb

Was This Major Setback Avoidable?
« on: December 31, 2015, 10:21:05 PM »
I'm not sure, but I do feel a bit stupid.......

Yesterday on my 8 month post-op anniversary, it was raining.  Just like it's been doing almost continuously for several months in South Carolina.  I decided I would investigate the source of a leak in one of my out buildings. I then decided I would walk down the grassy side slope and check out a drain pipe.

I was wearing a pair of slip-on Crocs, the same shoes I wore for the first few weeks of my post-op recovery.  In little more than the blink of an eye, my left foot slipped forward on the wet grass while my right leg (resurfaced hip) went backwards.  I nearly did the splits.  The pain in my right knee and thigh was excruciating--maybe something similar to the those injuries that quiet a stadium--the most painful thing I've ever experienced.

After a trip to the emergency room yesterday and an appointment today with the sports knee surgeon in Dr. Gross's orthopedic group, I learned that I have a ruptured quadriceps tendon.  Miraculously, my hip implant was not affected, but I will have to have surgery next week.  They try to do it before too much scar tissue forms at the site of the rupture.  The doctor told me that the surgical procedure is not nearly as complicated as my hip resurfacing, but the rehab is "20 times more difficult."

My leg will be locked straight and immobilized for 6 weeks.  I will be on two crutches with absolutely no load bearing on the affected side.  This is almost the opposite of hip rehab where we were encouraged to get up and walk! Speaking of walking, I've been on a 3 mile per day routine for several months now.  I have had occasional groin pain but, as evidenced by my carelessness yesterday, I often forgot that my hip was ever resurfaced.  Hopefully, buy the 4th of July I'll be back to my old self again, trying to get in shape--just like I was this time last week.  Difficult at age 67.

I'm really not looking for sympathy (that may come later).  I just wanted to remind those of you who have been able to return to running, rock climbing, soccer, swimming, martial arts, basketball, etc., that we are literally one slip away from a major setback.  I went to sleep for a second and now my hip rehab is over--for a long time.

Happy New Year and stay safe!
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

blinky

Re: Was This Major Setback Avoidable?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:18:13 AM »
Oh no! Dang, I am sorry.

Don't beat yourself up. Part of why you had HR was to lead a normal life, to get out of bed in the morning and take risks, even small ones. like wearing Crocs and walking outside.

Good luck with the healing.

MattJersey

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 01:10:51 PM »
Sorry to hear this, and hope you come off the crutches and rebuild smoothly. You've done it once, so positive sign there. I'm sure you were relieved that the hip was fine, so hope you can build on that positive. Best wishes.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:07:06 AM »
Don't beat yourself up about it. It could have happened to anyone, with or without a resurfaced hip.  We choose HR over THR for the ability to get back to a normal, unrestricted life. Be patient with the rehab; I know you're not looking for sympathy but if you do ever need any you can find it here.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 08:43:52 AM »
Sorry to hear about your slip.  Accidents happen to all of us.  Take it easy and see your self dancing around this summer  ;)   It is not that far away.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

karlos.bell

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:14:20 PM »
 :) Bugger Numb. Yep sh _ t happens then we have to deal with it. Keep trucking along and be positive it will all go well. Good luck with the rehab and it may not be as bad as they say...
Cheers K
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 05:14:57 PM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

JHippy

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 04:10:04 PM »
Sorry to hear that, that's a major setback. Glad you're hip is good, though. I was forced in a split playing soccer in high school that was excruciating pain. Killed the season for me. Good luck with the surgery and recovery, well wishes sent your way.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 01:19:06 PM by JHippy »
Left HR; Dec. 17, 2014; Dr. Gross and Lee Webb NP;
uncemented Biomet Recap/Magnum; 50mm/56mm.

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 04:54:15 PM »
Well, the news is not all bad.  This time there will be no urinary catheter :)
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal