+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Advice on running again after BHR  (Read 2447 times)

KevinHalicki

Advice on running again after BHR
« on: January 25, 2016, 07:43:47 PM »
I had a BHR with Dr. Mckenzie May 22. 2105. Any feedback on when I can start running again and precautions I should take when I do? I believe Dr. Mckenzie's protocol was ok after 6 months, I did a little in December and it felt ok but I don't want to push it.

Thanks

Kevin

Kingrob

Re: Advice on running again after BHR
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 07:48:48 PM »
I am able to start getting back into running at the 6 month mark. If you had your surgery last May and you feel good it seems that you should be at a point where you can start to ease back into running. I would really go by what your DR tells you though.

There is a good post by Arrojo, in the Running, Ironman, Marathoner, section titled "Resurfacing to 5K Program". This would be a real good program to follow on how to ease back into running. I will be using this as a guide when I hit the 6 month mark.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 08:41:46 PM by Kingrob »

MattJersey

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:10:24 AM »
My surgeon, McMinn, says treadmill at 11 months before gradual return at 12.

Please don't tell as I am only at 9 months now, but I slowly jogged about 3/4 mile last night and night before, on fairly soft (nearly soggy!) grass. No reaction at all.

When I had the op and pre op I recall commenting on here saying I probably wouldn't run again as I don't want to risk anything, and want it to last forever. But feeling so good (after 3 weeks of flu which knocked my rowing program sideways!) while out walking the dog, I couldn't resist. It is joyous!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 02:11:44 AM by MattJersey »
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »
You really can push it all you want.  The implants can take it.  I'm at 4 1/4 years and I've been pushing pretty hard since the 6 month mark.  No ill effects to me or my hips.  My long runs are in the neighborhood of 10 miles and it all feels good.  At first I didn't want to run two days in a row, then it was not 3 in a row.  Now I don't care, I run every day that my program calls for with no issues. 

You will be able to do the same.  Just ease into it

Good luck
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Arrojo

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:33 PM »
 Follow your surgeons protocol, and listen to your body. Back off if something doesn't feel right, but otherwise go for it.   I started light jogging on grass at four months, on the track at five months and on the roads at six months. There's a wonderful 16 week resurfacing to 5K program that I posted over in running:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/index.php?topic=3941.0

Find a good 5K that's 16 weeks away, and then follow this program. It's really gradual and will prevent you from pushing too hard too soon, but will still get you to where you want to be.

Don't forget to break up that scar tissue before and after runs – foam roller is great for that.  Good luck !
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM