+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Treatments for Hips and Knees  (Read 7969 times)

suncag

Re: New Treatments for Hips and Knees
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2018, 04:10:23 PM »
Thanks again, Blinky.   Just realized I missed one of your posts.  Regarding how bad my hip is, I was managing ok until recently.  Meaning walking was not much of an issue other than some fatigue setting in after a while but tennis was pretty hard to enjoy anymore due to lack of mobility.  And recently, after trying stem cells (now 9 weeks post op), it seems to have gotten significantly worse. 

regarding your post from back in Feb 2015 in this topic, the one non-surgical thing that did really help for a while was the artificial synovial fluid injections I got.  Actually the medicine is called "Supartz" and it contains the lubrication and shock absorption properties of synovial fluid.  I had a significant improvement with that.  Enough so that I could play tennis again and move quite well.  But it is something you have to "get a refill" on each 6 months to a year and eventually the efficacy goes away. I did it three times, 3 years running with diminishing returns each time.  Last time was pretty much no help.  which is why I tried stem cells (but harvested from my own adipose tissue as opposed to amniotic) 2 months ago, but that also did not pan out.  Condition actually seems worse since that.  Been struggling just to get back to where I was before that.

karlos.bell

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2018, 06:16:22 PM »
 :) Hi done the stem cell thing before resurfacing.Nope no improvement and I have not seen - read of any trials or documentation expressing that it works.
I have heard of persons having stem cell (neighbor down the road) which went bad for him.He had leukemia and it made it worse. Boom. He died earlier than expected.Not all surgical procedures are the same and some come with high risks.
Cartilage regeneration is the stuff in a magic box they cannot work out.But resurfacing works....... Just been for my early run...... Was excellent :o
Cheers K

2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

suncag

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 11:26:42 PM »
Thanks everyone for all of your input.  I am happy to report that I met with Dr. Gross today and he was extremely helpful, positive, patient with all my questions, and straightforward as usual.  He has a really genuine warmth and humble confidence about his convictions.  A real pleasure to see him and Nancy as always.  I'm happy to report I have finally scheduled my resurfacing with him!  Took me a few years of trying everything else to get to this point (even my stem cell Dr. told me yesterday it was time to accept I've tried everything else and that it's time to "go get that operation I've been talking about").  Feeling more positive and excited about it than ever.  Will keep all of you posted.

Kind Regards

John C

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 01:33:50 AM »
Congratulations. I have been where you are, after having went through all that you did, and can report that things are happy on the other side. I cannot promise that it will be all fun and roses at first, but at just over two months out from my second hip from Dr Gross, and 10 years out from the first, I can report that life is good. At just two months after my second hip, I am doing two mile hikes through the mountains almost every day, and the new hip is already pain free doing these long hikes, something that it has not experienced for many years. The limp is gone (except for startup, which I know from last time will last a few months).
The hardest part is behind you now; making the decision. Keep moving forward, follow instructions on your rehab, and I bet you will do great!
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

suncag

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2018, 03:49:44 PM »
Thanks very much, John.  Your input helped me finally go forward with this.  I am not quite 2 weeks post-op yet, but everything is going well so far and while the first 4-5 days were very tough (as you honestly told me they would be) I can now see (and feel) the light at the end of the tunnel.  So happy to hear you are hiking already after 2 months.  At 2 weeks post op I am able to walk pretty well and have to keep reminding myself to use the cane, but I am still just walking in the house and taking it easy. 

Anyway - I promised Pat I would start a new thread under patient stories and I just have not had the time (I just finished a full week of work) nor have I felt up to it.  But I am finally ready to do that, so I will create a new patient story today under the area Pat instructed me to.

thanks so much again, John!  Your honesty and encouragement really helped me!

Kind Regards,
Chris

John C

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
Great to hear that you are already doing so well at two weeks. I am just past six months now, and back to a fully active lifestyle. I am back to surfing, windsurfing, and playing tennis for many hours every day, and the new hip feels like new. No unusual sensations at all. Strength is coming along nicely, and as usual for me, flexibility is coming along slowly. i will be heading back to the mountains in a couple of weeks for the start of ski season, and it feels like this hip is going to love skiing hard every day.
As well as you are doing at two weeks, it looks like you are going to be another great success story. Congratulations!
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

suncag

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2018, 05:01:32 PM »
Thanks again, John!  So glad to hear you are doing all that.  I have to admit it was only a few days ago that I started to envision myself being able to do much of anything based on the way I felt, but getting better every day by large steps.  By the way - since you bring up skiing.  I am really hoping to take my wife and kids skiing during their spring break (first week of April in 2019).  That's actually at the 5 months completed mark and not the 6 months completed mark.  But we have to start to make plans/reservations now.  What are you thoughts on doing some light, blue run skiing after just 5 months post op?  I realize I need to run all this by Dr. Gross based on how I'm looking then, but just wanted to get your gut opinion on if that is too early.

thanks!
Chris

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat