+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Don't Forget Your Stretch and Strength Exercises  (Read 2782 times)

Woodstock Hippy

Don't Forget Your Stretch and Strength Exercises
« on: March 11, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »
Hi all,  when we are recovering from our surgeries, most of us develop a routine of exercises that we do every day or most days. As we start to feel better it's easy to lay off the exercise, but remember our muscles have been though a tough time.  They need the mantainence.

I'm as guilty as anyone.  I have been busy swimming and biking and running and I ignored the strength and stretching for almost a year.  This is the second time and now again I feel it in my hips.  The left is worse just like it was in the beginning and like it was about a two years in when I had to go back to PE for two months to strengthen the whole area.

Now I'm back in the gym twice a week and doing my home routine another three times a week and feeling stronger already.

Big running race tomorrrow; 15k of hills and more hills.  And you get to run through an abandoned insane assylum!

Don't forget you stretching and strength, it's important!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Clarkefan

Re: Don't Forget Your Stretch and Strength Exercises
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
Well said. I'm "training up" for a Tough Mudder in May. Strong hip muscles are essential.

karlos.bell

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 04:10:02 PM »
 :) It is probably most important to get back to as normal as one can be.
That is doing absolutely what the hips can take or what you feel like. To me its a 5 k run most days (cause I feel like it) maybe tapped on top of that additional chores around home and progress in a job.
People then do not think about you as a liability rather an asset and you can get on with your life.
At present 10 k is no issue as have done them and I cannot see 21k an issue.
But I do not want to over do it.
I can humbly say to be as normal as possible but some highlights are cool.
My wife said for the first time in 9 years yesterday man you did a lot how do you do it?

There are 2 things I have found most important and 1 is fixing the issue that was crook or seemed to be crook and 2 is nutrition. I could never have done 1 without the other........
was 84 kg now 74 kg and like to be about 72 kg getting there, no issues.
So every one is different we are not all the same.

Cheers K

2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

hipnhop

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »
Hey guys, I know.  I just went straight to running, swimming and biking.  Forgot about basics.  Now knee meniscus is out and rotator cuff torn. Says somwething about basics.

3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:21:07 AM »
Today was my second run since the race.  All of the muscle pain is gone but my legs are still very fatigued.  I just have to take it easy until the legs start coming back.  It's a tough very hilly run, I gave it everything, got passed in the last half mile by one of my competitors and could do nothing about it. But hung on for third in my age group
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

surfhippy

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 06:34:42 AM »
Good topic! I have been doing a lot of mountain biking and surfing when the waves are good, but have slacked on specific hip exercises. I still notice movement in the hip joint every once in a while. I just bought a bosu ball for exercises and balance, and it seems to help nicely. I'm going to Indonesia next month for a surf trip, and am a little nervous about how heavy the surf will be, but nothing can really simulate what I will experience, so I'm doing what I can do best prepare. I'll let you know how it goes.
Mark / Dr. Gross Uncemented Biomet Right Hip Outpatient Surgery on 4/6/2015

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal