+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long after surgery before you could tie your shoes?  (Read 3289 times)

catfriend

How long after surgery before you could tie your shoes?
« on: March 27, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
I'm curious as to how long it took after HR before people could comfortably tie/buckle/zip their shoes. My resurfacing was done 1/19, and I still can't do this. I just don't yet have the range of motion. I know it will come in time, but I'm just wondering how long it took most people. While I have several dozen pair of shoes, only a few are of the slip on variety, and the bungee laces are... well, not exactly fashion forward. This is really cramping my shoe style. So how long did it take for you?

blinky

Re: How long after surgery before you could tie your shoes?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 04:04:57 PM »
Six weeks. It was challenging, but I could do it.

I was very limber pre arthritis.

Juno

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 04:45:55 PM »
How are you sitting when trying to tie them? Are you crossing ankle over knee or sitting and bending down? Crossing ankle over knee will likely take longer as the ROM and internal rotation of the hip takes time to come back. Like Blinky I was pretty flexible years before my ROM began to diminish -- it was about 6 weeks for me. I recommend sitting on your stairs and bringing your foot to the stair below you are sitting on -- then you just need to bend from the waist -- I hope that helps.

My recommendation is stretch a little every day -- progress takes time. 3 years later and I am still seeing positive changes ion my ROM.
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

blinky

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
Good point. I was tying my shoes, but the feet didn't come to the hands in the same way, not even each time.

These big release points, six weeks, six months, I have been allowed to do more, but not always been able. Getting down on the floor and not yet being able to just squat, that is still driving me crazy. I am stiff and awkward going down one knee at a time.

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 04:23:58 PM »
Stop the presses! I finally tied my right shoe for the first time! I was beginning to think it would never happen. I didn't do the greatest job, and it was just the bungy laces, but I'll take it.

January 19 - 17 About freakin' time!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat