+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Moral support  (Read 2956 times)

Johng

• DeSmet bilateral resurf 2016 conserve plus
Moral support
« on: April 06, 2016, 10:55:59 PM »
Hi All, I am week eleven post bilateral HR with Dr DeSmet. I am able to walk up to four km and have no more pain in the hip joints. I have muscle pain around the right hip and down the inside of the legs (adductors), sometimes quad pain. Dr. DeSmet said the pain will go away in time as my muscles adjust to the new orientation. Have any of you experienced this? I feel anxious at times wondering if there is a problem with the placement of the Conserve Plus. I have read many accounts of people who are surfing etc at the 3 month point. Would appreciate feedback. Best regards, John

blinky

Re: Moral support
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:39:50 PM »
I didn't have those pains, but I did have a variety of transient pains in both hips. Right hip seemed to swell a little until four months out and generally was a more troublesome hip. The swelling would make my incision site sensitive. When I do something new, I often get some new pain, not a bad pain, but some discomfort. It passes. I started swimming with my masters group again about a month ago, for example, and my hips were so pooped from kicking they couldn't do the PT leg lifts. Now a month later I can swim and then do the leg lifts.

I wasn't surfing at three months! Dr Gross wouldn't let me squat yet, so that would hold me back. I was walking a lot, about as much as you are, swimming on my own. I had and still have some very good days and want to do more and feel like I will be completely back in action. And then I have a day when I am stiff and awkward. It takes awhile, especially with two hips. I keep telling myself I am in it for the long haul and so have to be patient and let the hips heal right.

Hang in there.

[size=78%] [/size]

Johng

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 06:57:04 AM »
Many thanks Blinky. Once in a while I need to reframe with feedback from someone who has experienced HR. Big help, much appreciated.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
Hi John

As a Dr. De Smet patient, I can assure you of excellent placement of your Conserve Plus devices.  I had my BHR with him 10 years ago and he has placed many more since then.  He is the type of surgeon that gets it right and that is why so many people, especially in the early years, went to him. 

There is no normal in healing.  Some people are able to run marathons at 6 months - which they really should not - and some people take a year or two to get back to normal.  A lot depends on how bad your hips were to before surgery.  When a hip is bad, they whole body is out of balance trying to allow you to walk with the poor joint.  So all the muscles and ligaments have to learn how to move again with the hip in the proper place.  It is especially difficult with bilateral replacements. There is a lot for your body to adjust to.

Poor placement of a device would most likely cause a lot greater pain than you have, but I am not a doctor and can only tell you about the experiences I have read.  You would probably not be able to walk or move without it hurting.  Since you can walk well without hip pain, I imagine the rest of your body will take time to get back to normal. It is especially difficult with bilateral replacements.

I did not have ongoing muscle problems, but for months after I walked and then sat down, felt like my incision was ripping apart.  Finally the scar tissue, I assume, stretched and got back to normal.

Give your body time to heal.  Hopefully, it won't be long before things straighten themselves out.  You body has it's own timeline to heal, you can't force it.

I did not have any formal PT, but was able to do water walking in a pool.  A lot of people find that helpful.  Maybe with warmer weather on it's way, you could try that. 

http://surfacehippy.info/pool-and-water-exercises-and-stretches-at-surface-hippy/

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Pat
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 09:04:09 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 11:53:20 AM »
Good point that if something is really wrong, you would have more pain and not be able to move well.

I was thinking about you on my daily 5K walk. No cane, no limp, but also 9 weeks further along than you. At eleven weeks I was still sometimes using a cane for my long walks  and was wondering when I could ditch it completely. We went to NYC that week and after a lot of back and forth I took the cane. I was glad I did because that was the week of the historic snowstorm that shut down the city. It was such a marvelous event that yes, I had to get out in it and probably walked way more than 5K. Hey, I had my cane! Not to mention my husband's arm. At the end of each day my hips were sore and I had to ice them. All those little balance muscles had been activated from walking in the snow.

Any PT? It could be you are sore from overcoming some long standing bad habits.

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
I am a big advocate for any water based therapy. I found a place that offered managed and unmanaged sessions and used it a bit further along in my development as preparation for and in addition now to running.

But if you haven't got a specialized facility nearby just head along to you normal pool. In hindsight I wish I had got in the water earlier for the type of stuff in Pat's link which looks really helpful.

And echo what others have said about everybody's recovery being different, there is no normal.

karlos.bell

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:49:23 PM »
 :) A 52 week Dr De Smet. Bilat Conserve. Can run on them do want I want  . Yep it has shown me there are still musclar issues I have from injured in the hips yes the hips. I have to get sorted but the HIP JOINTs work well........ I have climbed and jumped over sticks logs and are getting better and better. The mucsles will get better if you work at it. Now some of you may think he is stupid but De Smet said "you can do anything you want" as these units are designed well and are different than THR. Muscles will have an issue but they will get back to normal be optimistic...... I am sure you will be fine. :)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 06:50:29 PM by karlos.bell »
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Johng

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 10:41:08 PM »
Thank you all for your advice and support. I am a steady type of guy but once in a while I wonder if I am off course. Not many Canadians are lucky enough to have the HR option. I appreciate being able to share the experience through this forum. I have lined up a very good physio and I hit the pool today. Felt great.

catfriend

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 10:24:57 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced on 1/19, so I'm guessing this is within a few days of when you had yours done. I still experience soreness in my abductors, and some soreness on the outside near the incision, and the iliotibial band is still tight. However, the soreness lessens every week. It's less this week, and a whole lot better than it was four and eight weeks ago. In my case, I had hip dysplasia and the muscles on that side were quite weak before the surgery. I've been swimming regularly - about 40 minutes of crawl nonstop plus water exercises - since six weeks 2 days postop. Today I walked for probably a couple of miles in a local garden (I stopped to take a lot of photos, so not nonstop), and the garden is on a hill. No problem, but I'm aware of the soreness. I'm sure you're in the normal range of soreness. Don't forget, the surgery is pretty brutal.

Johng

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 07:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback catfriend. Very reassuring. I think I was compensating for years. I found an excellent PT who says that my legs have been doing all the work for a long time and that I need to retrain my glutes and core muscles to fire in sequence again. A few seemingly simple exercises require extreme concentration! The PT also suggested pool exercises as a few of you did.  Again, many thanks.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat