+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: To Cement or Not Cement  (Read 3160 times)

xocy

To Cement or Not Cement
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:17:31 AM »
No cement here, I thought it might sink me to the bottom of the pool. Seriously, I know the thoughts you have going thru you mind. Uncemented is really tight anyway. I know it is somewhat "experimental" , but he has done over 250 (please verify) uncemented with little or no problem. THR technique, has been using uncemented for a long time and I belived it is approved. Check this at www.bonessmart.org. That is a Total Knee and Total Hip Replacement site. They don't like me discussing resurfacing over there, but it is a good resource.

Have you seen Dr. Gross yet?

Pat can probably add a great deal to this subject.

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: To Cement or Not Cement
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:07:50 PM »
Hi Mike

I thought I would spit your post out to start a new conversation about the cement issue.

Here are some of the experienced surgeons opinions  http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqcementcomponents.php

Even Dr. Gross admits he does not know the answer until he has done enough and eventually finds out what is best.

I don't think the THR cementless can compare since there is a really long stem that is forced into along drilled hole in the femur bone.  Lots of surface for the bone to heal to.  In hip resurfacing, there is only the small stem and the bottom of the cap.   I am not medically trained at all and just don't know that much about it technically. 

I have read many long, long emails about peoples opionions and engineers opinions.  But none are doctors or medically trained.  So all the talk is just that - talk.

Personally, I would stick with cemented since there are so many sucessful hip resurfacings with cement.  I will say, however, if doctors don't try new things - then we never get new methods.

A lot depends on each persons view.  I go with what is old and proven.  However, when I had my BHR, it was not even approved in the US by the FDA.  So I was experimenting according to most US doctors.

THis is something each person will have to make up their own mind about and feel good about their own decision.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Big Bill

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:35:19 PM »
Good topic Mike...I did a little research on this ...it is new for resurfacing...when I asked my doc he told me that on the acetabular side they are all cementless...on the femoral side he uses the Cormet, which is a "press fit"...they use only a little cement for fixaton. This still allows for bone growth. Whatever  develops will ultimately help others with hip problems. It has made a tremendous difference for me  ;D!

Big Bill --C.A.S.H.  8)

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »
I just think the less they put in the better.I was just sooo happy to find an alternative to THR that I didn't even think to ask if I should/shouldn't have cement. I just wanted to be painless so I could get on with my life......

Anyways,
Did some MALL walking today, and it felt GREAT!!!!!
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat