+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need advice- partial 5 years ago  (Read 3652 times)

Palmers

Need advice- partial 5 years ago
« on: May 27, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »
Hi everyone!

Glad to see that this site is still up and running! This site helped me so much before I got my partial hip replacement 5 years ago. In March I started to have horrible pain in my hip again. It has continually gotten worse. I have seen two orthopedic surgeons. The first one came to the conclusion I needed a revision. However, he changed his mind right before surgery and thought something else could possibly be going on due to my amount of pain. Eventually I started seeing another surgeon who is leaving the option of the revision for me to decide. I've had a MARs MRI, an ultrasound, fluid from my hip tested for infection (the doctor performing the procedure pointed out that there was a lot of inflammation). Everything has come back negative. Five years ago, they told me I had an auto immune disease that had only attacked my hip. I recently went to a rheumatologist and she completely ruled out any form of RA. The pain has been so bad I am seeing a doctor for pain management and frequently have to go to the hospital when the pain medicine can't be controlled. Sometimes I get a cold tingly sensation like there's icy hot inside my body. It is swollen on the outside and I can feel the pain around the apparatus. They have pulled my model from production due to the fact that it was not good for women, especially with small frames. I was 21 when I had the procedure and they had to use a larger apparatus. Has anyone had anything similar to this? I'm so tired of the horrible pain and all of the pain meds.

catfriend

Re: Need advice- partial 5 years ago
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 03:39:32 AM »
Your situation sounds horrible. I don't know where you're located and who you've seen, but I'm going to recommend you consult with Dr. Pritchett seattlejointsurgeon.com not because he was my surgeon, but because a) he does resurfacing on women b) he uses a ceramicized(sp?) metal with a cross-linked polyethylene device (so no metal on metal issues c) he has experience revising recalled devices and d) he has revised hip resurfacings to hip resurfacing (so not only THR). He does see out of state patients. I wish you luck with your situation and hope you're out of pain asap.

Palmers

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:39:32 PM »
I am outside of Washington, D.C. I was wondering if someone else had ever had similar symptoms or any idea what it could be. Just read for it to be over.

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
Hi Palmers, I don't think you are getting much response yet because no one is sure what you mean when you say you had a "partial hip replacement". What exactly is that? What is the device called?
To me is seems like you mean to say you had a hip resurfacing but I'm not sure.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

blinky

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »
^Yes. Is it a resurfacing or a different procedure? There is a procedure, seldom done, in which only one part is replaced, the socket or the ball; is that what you had?

Catfriend's idea to talk to Dr Pritchett is good in either case. He has done a lot of revisions and seen a lot of different procedures/devices.

Palmers

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:45:22 PM »
Chuck,

Thank you for bringing that up, I probably should've specified. I have the Birmingham Hip System. It is 40 cm. 

Palmers

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 01:34:36 AM »
I really need support right now. The pain seems to be getting worse and the pain meds no longer seem to be working. I take medicine for depression and it has currently gotten much worse. I'm so worn down from the pain and frequent the hospital due to the severity of the pain. I am an active 27 year old and just want my life back. Unfortunately, they can't figure out what is causing the issue.

chuckm

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. 40mm device probably means a 40 millimeter cup size. The femoral piece then is probably 36 mm. That's fairly small but the odd thing is when you mention they had to use a larger size.
Typically, the surgeon aims to fit the largest femoral component that will fit. And if it turns out to be too large for the bone then they shave a little more bone and try the next smaller size. But not the reverse.

Sounds to me like your best bet is to go see a resurfacing guru.
Dr. Pritchett is probably a great option but that is far for you. Anther good option is either Dr. Su in NYC or Dr. Gross in South Carolina.

The device could be coming loose and I wonder if an x-ray or MRI would even show that.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Palmers

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 12:14:37 PM »
Chuck,

I will try Dr. Su. They have looked for loosening through X-ray and ultrasound, but say everything looks good. It has to be extremely difficult to fully see what's going on around a hip devise without actually cutting someone open. I really hope it's something that can be taken care of with revision and not something permanent like nerve damage. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear