+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trigger Point Therapy Ball  (Read 2972 times)

chuckm

Trigger Point Therapy Ball
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:07:43 PM »
Hi all, I have something that could help many of you out there after hip resurfacing. Especially those with stubborn stiffness in the hip flexion areas, tight groin, etc.
I was at Dick's Sporting Goods last week to buy new soccer shin guards and I saw this therapy ball in one of the displays. I bought it for about $20 and gave it a try with HUGE immediate results. The link below is for their new 5" therapy ball. It says it is for massaging hips and shoulders.

https://www.tptherapy.com/product/MB5_Massage_Ball

If you try what I did, make sure you are alone because you will look silly. I placed the foam ball on the padded arm of one of my couches at home and straddled over the ball on the arm with both feet on the floor. Lowering myself onto the ball I was able to put pressure on the most sensitive areas right next to the implant from underneath. This is also the insertion point for the psoas, the iliacus, and other muscles that affect adduction and that whole movement.

If you roll around and move yourself in different ways you will massage muscles that no foam roller or any other device can get to. I was surprised to find all these "sore" areas up at the very top of the inner thigh.
The moment I got up I was astounded at the instant improvement. This could be a solution for a lot of people with hip resurfacing and hip flexor tightness.

I played in two soccer matches this weekend and performed better than I have in decades. I was very sore this morning and the groin had become a bit tight again. I rolled on the ball as above and it fixed everything.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Quig

Re: Trigger Point Therapy Ball
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 05:35:24 PM »
Interesting remedy Chuck! Next time I'm at Dick's I'm going to look for that ball... it's really early for me (8 weeks out) but my only gripe at this point is the psoas on my right side. Thought it's definitely making progress it remains grumpy.

Congrats on getting back to soccer and being pleased with your performance!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

chuckm

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »
Thanks Quig.

I suppose you could try to use something like a softball but you would need to be careful while rolling around those sensitive areas.

I'm 3-1/2 years post op and I wish I had figured this out 3 years ago instead of just recently. It has made that much of a difference in the adduction for me.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 06:29:17 AM »
I use a regular softball that I found.  It works great!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Quig

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:25:15 PM »
I've yet to make it to Dick's to purchase the ball as I intend to but experimented with a foam roller a bit this morning. As Chuck suggests, make sure nobody is looking because you're going to look pretty silly. I basically used the roller to massage the hip flexors (psoas?) by rolling on top of it, using my body weight to control the amount of pressure. I've recently upped my workout/activity level (again) and cannot believe how good I'm feeling and today the psoas(?) on my right hip is bothering me almost not at all. It's literally less than 1 on a 1-10 scale of annoyance and that's if I notice it at all. I intend to incorporate this into my recovery exercise from this point on...

Thanks for the suggestion Chuck!

Ljpviper

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:53:07 PM »
Hey Quig, are your muscles almost like waking up, in your back and hips. It almost feels like they are tyring to return to normal mechanics, if that makes sense. I am getting alot of muscle soreness, in a good way.

I am noticing this with returning to normal excerises.

Thanks,

Larry

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:08:23 PM by Ljpviper »

Quig

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 04:02:07 PM »
Hey Quig, are you noticing  your muscles almost like waking up, in your back and hips. It almost feels like they are tyring to return to normal mechanics, if that makes sense. I am getting alot of muscle soreness, in a good way.

I am noticing this with returning to normal excerises.

Thanks,

Larry

Yes, I'd say that's a good way to describe it Larry. At first I had plenty of aches and pains in my knees and I feel like it was because my knees where working differently (and hopefully properly) with new, normal-ish hip functionality. Same with my back. In the last couple weeks I've really, really noticed a big improvement in my flexibility, my energy level and my strength. This morning I did 10 minutes on the treadmill, 10 minutes on the elliptical, and then 10 minutes on the stairmaster all before working out with weights and machines. It felt GREAT. I feel like those hip muscles are indeed waking up and I feel like they're READY FOR and RESPONDING WELL to exercise and that is a really fantastic feeling. I'm glad you're experiencing something similar! Keep up the good work!

And, yes, I'm getting a 'good' soreness now from workouts and can feel the progress getting back into shape. And all of this while experiencing ZERO arthritic hip pain. Nada. None.  8)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 04:03:49 PM by Quig »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat