+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 weeks post op Dr. Engh  (Read 5930 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
6 weeks post op Dr. Engh
« on: July 29, 2007, 08:26:46 AM »
Hi Pat,

I had a left BHR with Dr. Andy Engh Jr. in VA on 5/11/2007.  I am 37 year old female.  You can add that info to your list. 

I do have a question if you have the time--I went to my 6 week post op and was given permission to go from 50% weight bearing to full.  I used crutches and a cane but now 5 weeks past the 6 week mark, I'm cane-free.  I'm doing a lot--walking 1/2 mile to work, up and down stairs, taking care of my 2 little boys, and swimming.  I'm sore as heck now!!  Is this normal?  Am I doing too much? 

Thanks for your website--it is great!!

Carolyn

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:51:55 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
Re: 6 weeks post op Dr. Engh
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 08:27:39 AM »
I think it is vry normal to have very sore muscles for a long time after surgery.  I did not have much pain, but became very stiff after sitting at the 6 week point.  The first few steps really hurt and then they pain would go away.  My incision remained tender for a very long time, but I did not have real pain in the hip - just sore muscles.  I started taking pool therapy at the 6 week point.  I did water walking, stretches and exercises. I did that for several weeks and it really helped. Once I got the muscles loosened up and exercising again, they were OK.  I actually kept doing the pool exercises for much longer, but it only took a coulple weeks to take care of the immediate stiffness. I really enjoyed being in the pool and building my muscles back up in the water.

You are also in good company with many people that have had very slow recoveries.  There seems to be no way of predicting how fast your will recover.  It took me about 6 months to get my energy level back, but I was 61 years old and very out of shape. A lot of people also feel depressed since they are not being very active.  You know you have had the surgery and want to get on with your life, but it takes a lot of patience for some people.

If your muscles are really sore, why don't you take some pain meds to help them out.  I found Advil did great for me after surgery.  I did not need vicoden or darvoset or anything really strong, just something to ease the muscle stiffness.

I hope that helps you out some.  I am glad my website was useful to you.  I feel it is important to tell people about hip resurfacing and what to expect after surgery.  Also how great it is after you heal and get your life back.

Pat

3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
Re: 6 weeks post op Dr. Engh
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 08:28:43 AM »
Thanks!!! Pat,   You are so sweet to write back such a great answer and advice!  I really appreciate that a lot.  I saw your pool exercises and am going to try them.  I'm also going to take some Advil too and relax about the soreness--I was getting myself all worried--like did I accidentally loosen the prosthesis?  I should realize this was major surgery and not try to do so much so fast.  Thanks again,  Carolyn
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat