+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pep talk needed  (Read 2566 times)

Johng

• DeSmet bilateral resurf 2016 conserve plus
Pep talk needed
« on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:09 AM »
Hi All, after two weeks of rest and NSAIDs I am still having extreme groin and adductor soreness making activities of daily living and sleep difficult. I have been told these strains can take 8 weeks or longer to heal. In the meantime I am laying off long walks, have dropped the intensive physio that started the problem. I am holding on to the hope that my adductors are having to adjust to hips that swing properly. I think I need to hear that it gets better. Sleep deprivation and lack of exercise have me chewing the furniture. Would appreciate some support as I experience another sleepless night. I hit the six month mark next week. I hope you are all well. IfIf

Paul_D

Re: Pep talk needed
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 07:06:15 AM »
Hi John,

When does the soreness occur? After or during a long walk or just sitting and resting?

If I am idle too long (sitting around for a few days), I find that I get cramp when I do my long walk. When I stop, it goes away within 10s and I can continue on. After 3rd day this problem disappears if I keep it up daily.

Are you consistent in your stretching/walks or sporadic?

Regards,
Paul

L BHR (52 mm) 28/7/2015, R BHR (52 mm) 23/7/2015

blinky

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:22:10 AM »
Pep talk coming!

First, what does your doctor say? What has he told you not to do? He confirms you have a sprain?

Second, okay, let's think what you can do. Can you ride a stationary bike gently? Can you swim? Some gentle freestyle? Or would that kick bother your groin? If you can't kick, I bet you could pull. You could get a pull buoy and put it between your legs to keep your butt afloat, and swim just using your arms. The pool makes me tired and helps me sleep better. I hope it will help you. Can you pool walk? Can you lift weights just using your upper body?

I am sure this is very frustrating, especially at six months when you want to be free and back to normal.

Johng

• DeSmet bilateral resurf 2016 conserve plus
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 02:26:51 PM »
Hi Paul and Blinky, my Dr thinks that I jumped into a high volume, high intensity strengthening program while my glutes were still very weak, resulting in very aggravated adductor muscles and fascia. Even gentle activity flares them up so I can't sleep. So...I am going to take it easy for a month, sticking to activity of daily living, icing , massage therapy, with no other exercise.  It is likely that my glutes have forgotten how to fire. So I will have to start over with very gradual strengthening once the pain is gone. I have been cautioned not to do anything that will engage the core and adductors till the pain is gone. Dr DeSmet agrees and recommends gradual return to walking to retrain my legs. I am a teacher so I have the summer to rehab. I'm sure you can relate to that feeling of being on a long road and just wanting to be there. The pain over the years has worn me down but I am up for another round. The bright side is that my hip joints don't grind and grab and that the muscles can be retrained. Thanks for responding. Helps a lot. John

blinky

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »
Time for Netflix.

And a stack of good books.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat