+-

Author Topic: Upcoming Surgery With Dr. Gross  (Read 1765 times)

jmorriss

Upcoming Surgery With Dr. Gross
« on: July 02, 2016, 03:18:19 AM »
In January of 2008, I had my left hip resurfaced in Madison Wisconsin at University Hospitals and Clinics with a cemented Biomet device.  My outcome has been excellent. Fast forward to today and now my right hip is wearing out.  The surgeon who performed my left resurfacing no longer performs resurfacings and tried to steer me towards a total hip replacement.  No thanks.  I reached out to Dr. Gross and I have surgery scheduled for September 21, 2016.  Anyone have any guidance to offer me?  Dr. Gross indicated I'm a suitable candidate for the outpatient option.

Quig

Re: Upcoming Surgery With Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:33:30 AM »
Surgery with Dr. Gross? Not a thing to worry about. I'm almost 3 months out from Bilateral and have nothing but good things to say about my experience in South Carolina. Relax, and just get ready to be impressed by a team that has the whole process down to an art. You've chosen the right Dr. and I have no doubt you'll be pleased.

Good luck!
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

jmorriss

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 04:14:09 PM »
To Quig, thanks for the response.  Glad you had a good experience with Dr. Gross.

blinky

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:38:29 PM »
Dr Gross is great. I had both my hips done in November by him. He has seen it all, knows all about hips, and is meticulous. I really like that while he is an advocate of resurfacing, he always turns you back to the data when you ask a question about the longevity or uses of the hip. And his data is fantastic.

I also found him to be very transparent and personable. My husband adores him; when Dr Gross came out to tell him how the surgery went, H asked all kinds of questions, some not hip related. The way Dr Gross and his staff handle patients (and their spouses) is a model for how all medical procedures should be.

Lee was warm and calming during the pre op meetings. I think she set the right tone, assuring me everything would go well and I would come out a new woman. Nancy dealt with all my nervous questions before I went to SC. When I had a question or needed information, Lee or Nancy would get back to me quickly, which is pretty amazing.

Because I did two hips, and maybe because of my insurance, I was in patient. A good friend did one hip with the right insurance and did out patient. She was happy not to be in the hospital----she had her three kids at home, so not a fan. My friend did say that 1) the degree of log leg she felt post op was surprising to her and 2) she needed a lot of help that first day. She didn't read the stories here, so I think  she was caught off guard by how hard it is to move right afterwards. Now you know! Your leg will feel like a log, not like part of you, and it will be difficult to move around due to that, maybe your bp, the narcotics.

Best of luck. I am very glad I went to Dr Gross and had my hips resurfaced.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:03:17 PM »
Dr. Gross is an excellent surgeon, he has done 4000 hip resurfacings.  I have a lot of Dr. Gross stories here:

http://surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/stories/dr-gross

and older stories here:

http://surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/stories/2013-02-01-00-40-11

I think you will find a lot of support for Dr. Gross and Lee on this group.

Good Luck with your surgery. 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats