+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Beware massage therapy!  (Read 4184 times)

Johng

• DeSmet bilateral resurf 2016 conserve plus
Beware massage therapy!
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:54:14 PM »
Just need to vent some frustration. I've been trying to settle sore adductors and groin for about seven weeks. Slow progress but a massage therapist took it upon himself to pull and twist my leg to lengthen the adds. Huge flair up. I am really dejected and frustrated. Starting to fear I will be one of those patients who need revision. I am desperate for a good night's sleep. Hoping Dr DeSmet is right when he tells me my legs will adjust...massage therapist said many hr patients have chronic pain for life. Trying to stay positive.

chuckm

Re: Beware massage therapy!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 07:35:48 AM »
Hi John. Obviously don't go back to that therapist.

Have you tried to just shut it down completely? Don't do any exercising. Go about your normal daily activities and make sure to focus on good walking mechanics around the house.

When PT caused problems with the groin and psoas I just stopped all exercising for about four weeks.
I did continue stretching the hip but avoided the adductors and psoas completely.

In hindsight, those four weeks were very important in the healing process. I dropped the notion of trying to be a fast healer and so there was no pressure on myself and it might have actually helped me be a fast healer.

Good luck,
Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Johng

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 08:15:45 PM »
Hi Chuck, with you on that. I have cut back to activities of daily living for the last six weeks. I went for massage thinking it would be passive. The manipulation came out of the blue. I did some really aggressive strength training with a ohysio at four months which I think caused massive inflammation of the psoas and adductors. They flare up pretty regularly so as you suggest I need to go easy. There is that niggling fear that I may be one of the few who continues to have pain. Dr DeSmet is a world class surgeon and I was lucky to have him on board. I think my adductors must be very short and tight from years of funky biomechanics and high mileage running. How far along were you before the soft tissue and muscle settled down?

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »
"How far along were you before the soft tissue and muscle settled down?"

I started PT at week 4. By the end of that first week I told my physio to stop all hip flexor exercises. It took me an additional 4 to 6 weeks of shut down after that before my hip flexor felt good. For you to still have pain after seven weeks must be frustrating.

But I wasn't coming back from a setback. I was lucky enough to shut it down while the exercises were very light. And it still took that long for the soreness to settle down.

Your situation is different. To me it sounds more like an injury to the area. There have been posts in the past where some have had terrible hip pain that persisted like yours after aggressive training early on. One guy was doing squats with lots of weight and another using heavy kettle bells. Both recovered but it took time and patience - which sucks when you have already spent so much time convalescing. All ended up being muscular and related soft tissue injuries.   

In order for the surgeon to resurface the hip, he/she must cut through the tissue around the hip which includes the bursa that cushions the psoas. That is why it is so painful to lift the leg after the surgery. And it is quite a feat for the body to rebuild that cushion for the psoas.

If it turns out you did a little more than aggravate that area I could see that it will take a little more time. It's a setback. Just hang in there and wait for your body to tell you when it is ready to go again.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

Johng

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:25:56 AM »
Thanks Chuck, I am now six months post op. Dr DeSmet does not see the pain I describe as evidence of metal poisoning nor angle of implants.  He said the three month X-ray was "wonderful".  If there is a problem with angle/orientation would it be evident in an X-ray ?  He is world class. I don't know whether to sit tight or to start planning for a second opinion. I just don't know what the norms are around recovery. Really appreciate the feedback. Thanks. John

chuckm

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 11:50:52 AM »
The x-rays are very precise in allowing the surgeon to see the position and angles of the device.   

The norm for recovery is all over the place. From what I have seen on this forum recovery ranges anywhere from three months to a year and a half. So there really is no norm.

Six months would be a fast recovery. Eight months to a year seems most likely. Over a year happens less but there are still many surgeons who insist on waiting at least a full year before release to all activities. 

The aggressive strength training you did at four months I would consider a rare activity at that early stage and is most likely the cause of the issues you have. I really think you need to go back to square one and just deal with having to let the injured tissues heal. It sucks but we had to do it. And they eventually will heal unless you stress them too much while they are still delicate. Then start on a disciplined three month gradual return that keeps yourself training well below full exertion.

Chuckm

Left BHR 11/30/12
46 years old

Boomer

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 04:57:27 PM »
Johng you should heed the advice of Chuckm. I went through two slow recoveries but had no setbacks. Concentrate on walking. If you did nothing but gradually increase the distances you walk, you would be having a successful recovery. You cannot accelerate the pace which your body recovers.

Chuckm helped me through both of my resurfacing experiences.

Good luck to you.

Boomer
RBHR with Dr. Rector on 11/30/2011
LBHR with Dr. Rector on 6/11/2012

Johng

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 10:50:04 PM »
Thanks Chuck and Boomer,   You've helped me frame this situation and I appreciate you taking the time. Cheers

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 07:43:27 AM »
I would also suggest you back off, forget the massages for now and walk, walk, walk.  I am a De Smet patient and he never recommended PT at any time.  Just walk walk and walk.  Trying to push our bodies does not help recovery - as you found out.  If Dr. De Smet Reviewed your X-Rays and says all is well, then most likely it is.  He reviewed your x-rays before you left Belgium.  He is one of the best in the world.  Many people, as has been mentioned, had very slow recoveries.  Even some very athletic people.  If it hurts - don't do it, give it time, rest and ice if needed.  Sometimes patience is the most difficult aspect of healing.  Good Luck.  Let us know how you are doing.  Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Johng

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
Thanks Pat.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone