+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Zero Gravity Recliner + Places to Stay + Dr. Gross  (Read 3501 times)

Riz

Zero Gravity Recliner + Places to Stay + Dr. Gross
« on: August 01, 2016, 08:46:56 PM »
Hello,

I am another fan of Pat's. What a gift this website has been as it has made this process much more palatable.

I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Gross on September 14, 2016. I had two questions for those who have preceded me with Dr. Gross:

1. Residence Inn vs. Courtyard Marriott. I have reserved them both; however, I wasn't able to get one night at the Residence Inn. Apparently, it's family weekend for the local college in town. I like the idea of having a kitchen and being able to eat healthy. I plan on staying a week, so I can focus on swelling and recuperation before flying back to California.
2. Has anyone rented a recliner chair in Columbia for their stay? I bought one of the Lafuma zero gravity chairs in preparation for my recovery at home and I love it. It should work perfect. I should have no problem sleeping in it and it will help keep my feet elevated. I may just buy something in Columbia or have one shipped there if there are no other options.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

jmorriss

Re: Zero Gravity Recliner + Places to Stay + Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 07:38:33 AM »
I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Gross on 8/15/2016.  My understanding is that Dr. Gross's office takes care of making the hotel/motel reservations.

Quig

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 01:20:22 PM »
I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Gross on 8/15/2016.  My understanding is that Dr. Gross's office takes care of making the hotel/motel reservations.

I had bilateral resurfacing done by Dr. Gross in April. While everyone I dealt with in South Carolina was incredibly nice and very, very helpful it was never offered that they would take care of any reservations.

Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

John C

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 01:34:05 AM »
Here is how we did it. My wife stayed in the Courtyard the night we arrived and for the two nights I was in the hospital, since she could just walk back and forth across the parking lot to the hospital. When I checked out of the hospital, we moved a few blocks away to the Residence for two nights before flying home. It was nice to have a kitchen, living area, and a couch as an option to stretch out on. At that time, Dr Gross's office was not involved in any reservations, but that was 8 years ago.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

sheltons

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:03:59 PM »
Riz,

Good luck and look forward to your story.

Scheduled with Dr Gross December 12 and 14th for bilateral.

Shelton

Joe_CA

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:35:26 PM »
Hi Shelton,

Just saw your post. I too am scheduled for bilateral hip resurfacing on December 12th and 14th. You will receive a lot of well-wishes and good answers to your questions here. There are many very informative people posting on this website - including several who also recently underwent bilateral surgery with Dr. Gross. Good luck with your procedures, and perhaps I will run into you. I too am equally scared, excited and impatient. I think once I made the decision, I feel like it's time to get it over with. :-)

Joe
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:03:02 PM by Joe_CA »
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Quig

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 12:06:35 AM »
Riz, good luck on your surgery!! You're going to do great!

Sheltons and Joe,

You two are going to do great too. Bilateral isn't as scary as it might seem and you've got the major benefit of ONE recovery. Don't get me wrong, it's a big deal and the first couple weeks aren't a heckuva lot of fun but they're very, very do-able. While it's a major, major thing to have this type of surgery and especially two at once, you're going to the very best. Dr. Gross and his staff and the folks at Providence hospital are incredibly good at what they do. You'll be amazed at how well you're cared for in Columbia and how fast your progress will be during recovery. Each day you'll see improvement and you'll go from having worse and worse and worse hips to heading completely in the other direction and just knowing that you're healing instead of doing more damage is a very, very good thing.

If I can offer some advice it would be to go into surgery in the best possible shape you can. After that, it's time to relax and recover. Follow the protocol they give you and, most importantly, listen to your body!

I'd have a very hard time putting into words the positive effect those surgeries have had on my life and I'm only about 5 months out! If either of you have any questions you don't see addressed here, don't hesitate to ask here or to send me a message if you'd prefer and I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

I'd also say that you're both having surgery at the perfect time of year. You can start your recovery in the winter and as spring arrives you're going to be feeling pretty damn good and by summer you'll be ready to get out and REALLY enjoy your new, PAIN FREE hips!

Best of luck to the both of you!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 12:08:37 AM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Riz

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 01:40:05 AM »
Thanks all for your good wishes. Dr. Gross and his team rocks. I am one week post op and feeling great. I'll share my story and all the details soon.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear