+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 5 months and walking!!  (Read 3001 times)

Dessay

5 months and walking!!
« on: August 25, 2016, 11:33:06 PM »
Hi all!

I'm at 5 months and I'm finally off my cane, walking and doing stairs "the normal way." It feels really good to be moving around and productive again.

I'm more of a tortoise with my recovery, but I actually don't mind. I have low bone density and I just refuse to rush things or feel bad that it's taken a little longer. I even slowed things down further than Dr Gross suggested, and I think it's worked well for me personally. Just wanting to make sure my green bone is nice and solid.

I actually don't have much pain, just that "startup pain" in the outer thigh for the first few steps after I get up from sitting for a while. My thigh is pretty mushy,  :P , but it seems to be a little tighter every day.

So nice that even after a day of walking around, that old hip crease arthritis pinching is completely gone. Ahhhhh!
I kinda miss my cane a little. It was pink with rhinestones. Saving it just in case the left hip goes later on.  :-*

Hope everyone is doing well!
Right Biomet Dr Gross 3/30/16  42mm

blinky

Re: 5 months and walking!!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
Great news! And it will keep getting better.

jmorriss

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:48:03 AM »
Don't feel bad about taking a little longer with recovery.  Better to take a little extra time and have a good long term outcome, versus pushing it and having a setback or failure.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:58:18 AM »
Glad to hear you are finally getting back to normal.  It is also nice that you post about your slower recovery.  Recoveries are so different. As you know, some slow and some fast, with most in between.

Keep up the good work.  It will still get better and better, slowly.

Good luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:49:23 PM »
Fabulous! I know it's been a tough road for you. As I've said before, so what if it's taken you a little longer than average. The average accounts for longer recovery times (that's why it's an average). Your long term outcome is the most important thing.

Dessay

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 10:39:01 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

I guess after hearing I was osteopenic, I was just scared I was going to fracture. I didn't even want to do stairs until the soreness was completely gone. My husband finally said, "It's been 5 months- Dr Gross would've let you do stairs 2 months ago!"

So I just started doing it, and it felt pretty good within a day or two. I'm working on my osteopenia with diet and supplements as well. Just feeling much more normal and optimistic now. Thanks for all your kind words!

Next milestone: 6 months. Then I can start walking for actual FITNESS!!!!

Best,
Cara

Right Biomet Dr Gross 3/30/16  42mm

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz