+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Derek McMinn's First 500 -- Where are they now?  (Read 5058 times)

Canadian-Ice

Derek McMinn's First 500 -- Where are they now?
« on: September 25, 2016, 11:55:28 PM »

As I recall Derek McMinn the inventor of the BHR has had his first 500 BHR's tracked. I think they were done between 1997 and 2000 or so. Does anyone know how many of those have been revised now we are creeping up on 20 years? Do we have any data on the impact of running, martial arts, and other sports on BHR survival, pain, or any other untoward side-effects?

:)

Granton

Re: Derek McMinn's First 500 -- Where are they now?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:25:11 PM »
Hi,

I don't know what number I was in Mr McMinn's series, but I got a BHR on my right side on 11th November 1999. That's getting close to 17 years.

I have played a lot of tennis in that time, including plenty of singles. Nowadays, my knees limit me to doubles. I have also walked a lot, motorcycles a lot. I had so much energy that I had a late career change, went to drama school and trained as an actor. Worked at that for about nine years. Now mainly retired (though doing a filming job for the next couple of days.

In short, I am very glad I had it done and it has never given me a moment's trouble. I went back fairly recently to have the left side done and they said that the first one looked as new on X-ray.

I hope this helps.

David Vale
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:27:34 PM by Granton »
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Quig

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:50:46 PM »
Great update Granton, thanks for checking in. For those of us who are just starting the journey with a fancy new joint (or two!!) it's really reassuring to read replies like yours. Keep on moving and enjoying your life.  8)
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

petemeads

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 04:40:16 AM »
I met a lady at a concert last month who was using a cane to walk/stand and obviously had a hip problem. I was astonished to find that she had possessed very early resurfacing from McMinn - one from 1995, before the BHR design was finalised, and another from 1997. The later hip is still fine but the early one had been getting painful and a surgeon told her it needed replacing and then the replacement job was botched and the repair of the replacement has not been very successful, leaving her with ongoing difficulties. A sad story, and she agreed with me that she should have gone back to McMinn for assessment and treatment, but nevertheless she had twenty years with no problems (and she was a large lady) with a prototype device. She had been very active in the horse riding circles as a young lady.
I also have a friend Roger who got a Treacy BHR in 1997 when he was a very active runner. He is still absolutely fine with his hip but has a heart pacemaker and has had to slow down a bit now he is in his seventies. Last year we had several longer bike rides together - 40, 60 and 70 mile days - and he was not the slowest...
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 08:44:57 AM »
David, thanks for describing your experience. Very good news your BHR has lasted and performed so well! I'm glad you are all but out of pain now on both sides.

petemeads, I think McMinn mentions in one of his videos at that his pre-BHR series had not performed well enough but his BHR series has done much better. I hope that 90% of them are still functioning well in living patients at 40 years!

Very sad for that lady. It raises the question of what is life like with a resurfacing revised to THR, which realistically can happen in a patient's lifetime. I read that about 75% of revision THRs last 15 years. I'm sure the results will improve over time and depending on surgeon.

RobMsport

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »
Dereck McMinn did my hip resurfacing on the left in November 2000 then resurfaced the right hip in July 2015 . Both are great still and I walked a lot during this covid year , still race both my cars in motorsport . Best decision I've ever made
LEFT BHR  -- Mr D McMinn 20TH Nov 2000
RIGHT BHR  -- Mr D McMinn 16th June 2015

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2021, 11:21:30 PM »
Hey Rob,

I haven't been on this site in at least two years until now, and viola! just saw your post.

Great news that both have worked out so well. That's great!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear