+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: My Second Hip Resurfacing  (Read 1964 times)

raggedymike

My Second Hip Resurfacing
« on: October 25, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »
In 2010 I got my right hip resurfaced by Dr Edwin Su (story here). This past Friday (10/21/2016) I had the left hip done, also by Dr Su at HSS. The main difference was the amount of time spent in the hospital. I was discharged in less than 24 hours this time while the first time I was in the hospital for three nights. I did crash a bit on Saturday night when I got home, but that was more because I allowed myself to get overtired than any other reason. I did not experience the nausea that I experienced while walking the first time. I did experience it briefly when I got home while walking to the bathroom early in the morning. It did not recur.
This time around, there was no PCA. The only pain relief was oxydocodone. I took two 5mg as necessary. I never felt like I needed more. At this stage (Tuesday 10/25) the recovery does feel a bit easier and faster than before (and that was pretty good).
I will likely go to the PT next week

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: My Second Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »
Hi Mike

Thanks for sharing your story.  It is so helpful for perspective patients.

I put your old story and new one together and posted it so more people can see it.

http://surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/stories/dr-su/854-mike-s-bilateral-hip-resurfacing-with-dr-su-2010-2016

I will watch for your updates to add to your story.

Meanwhile, take it easy and let us know how you are progressing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

raggedymike

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 12:28:03 PM »
It is Saturday 10/29, one week and one day from surgery. I walk slowly around my condo (no stairs) unaided and without cane or crutches. I usually take one walk outside every day and I use the crutches. This routine has been essentially unchanged since Wednesday. This is a bit faster than my first recovery, due largely (I think) to leaving the hospital so fast this time. When you are in the hospital, you never get up without someone being there. You spend a lot of time in bed or sitting and I suspect that impedes your recovery. I have a basic rule that says when I get up for any reason, I walk around for at least 5 minutes and do one of the exercises before I sit back down.
The only pain I have is a slight throbbing at the site of the surgery. The only time this pain changes is when I am at the limits of my range of motion when I am putting a sock on. Walking causes no additional pain (the motion actually eases the pain a bit). The pain does seem to increase modestly as the day progresses. My pain relief consists of 10 mg (two 5 mg tablets) of oxycodone in the morning and 10 mg in the evening. My instructions say I can take up 50 mg per day. I also apply cold to the site two or three times a day in the form of a bag of frozen peas. Also, on the advice of my brother (a PT), I spend some time each day lying down with my ankles higher than my heart.
Early next week I will call my PT and make an appointment to start my rehab. I have not driven yet, but I do not see any problems ahead in that regard (it is my left foot).
One thing I miss is returning to work (between the two hips, I retired). Getting back to work was a good intermediate goal and got me up and out every day.

It does not escape me that both my recoveries have been fast and relatively easy. I hope this does not discourage those of you who may have a longer road ahead of you. Everybody is different and the speed of the recovery makes less difference than your attitude toward that recovery.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:28:57 PM by raggedymike »

raggedymike

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 12:23:44 PM »
It is 11/9, about two and a half weeks from surgery. I have driven my car and have walked further outside (with crutches) I have continued to do the exercises on my own. My leg appears to be getting stronger. The only troubling thing is that I continue to have pain at the site of the surgery. I cut back on my pain meds (ocycodone) from 10mg twice a day to 5mg twice a day. While the pain is tolerable, I think I will go back to 10 mg.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 05:09:20 PM by raggedymike »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal