+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Newbie here....  (Read 3585 times)

B.I.L.L.

Newbie here....
« on: July 30, 2008, 01:11:11 PM »
Hey everybody, I'm brand new to this board, hopefully I can get some honest, un-biased info and return the favor after my surgury. Heres where I'm at.  I'm 49 years old and scheduled for a hip resurfacing 9-22-08.  I have Kaiser Permamente insurance so pretty much thats the choice as far as wich dr.  The dr.'s name is Gurbir Chhabra and he works out of the kaiser office in Fontana, Ca.  When I first met him in january of this year he had done about 15 resurfacings.  I scheduled at the end of summer because I clean and repair swimming pools/equipment and wanted to wait for my "Slow time".  I am waiting to hear back from him to find out wich brand of implant he uses, so don't have any info on that yet, but my main question is what are the major differences between glueing vs bone fixation ?  I have heard that the glue breaks down over time and can "coat" the bone and prevent the bone from ("grafting" ?)  to the implant ?   And that "bone fixation"  is a much better option ?   The nurse at kaiser seemed to think that they glue their implants.  I am very active at work, I constantly walk and bend over all day everyday, so I want to get the strongest, best bond as possible.   Thanks for your help, and looking forward to talking to you guys, See ya, B.I.L.L.  ;D           

Vicky

Re: Newbie here....
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:23:12 PM »
Hi,

There is no such thing as gluing an implant.  It is cementing.  The longest history of any resurfacing device out there is the BHR and that is cemented and has 11 years of data to draw on.  The newer uncemented devices are still unproven.  The best doctor in the Kaiser system is Dr. Klug in Roseville, CA.  There is a proven learning curve of about 100 -150 surgeries. It does not really matter what type of device you get or if it is cemented or uncemented if the doctor is not experienced enough to place the component correctly.  I have worked with several patients that had misplaced devices from doctors that were within their first 50 procedures.  They all faced or are facing revision surgeries to THR's.  Not the doctors fault, just a fact that errors WILL occur early on in the learning curve.  Although some doctors will never quite get the placments correct.  Is there a way you can get to Roseville?  Make sure you do not get the Zurom Durom device, although they say it has been recalled, just make sure Kaiser does not still have some and are using up what they have.  I have personally never heard of your doctor.  Do you know where he was trained?  When he was trained?  Very important questions to ask.  Did he get any advanced training as well or did he just go to one training session then start doing them?  Did he practice on cadavers first?  You only get once chance to get this right, if it isn't right, you face another major surgery so soon after the first one.  Don't let that happen to you.

Vicky

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 01:35:30 PM »
Thanks, I'll look into Dr. Klug.  I'm waiting to hear back from the Dr. to see wich implant they use, I will make sure it is not that one. 
"Cemented"  not glued, got it.  Guess I need to brush up on my terminology ha ha.  Thanks for the quick response.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:12:42 PM »
Any time B.I.L.L.  Interesting, does that stand for something or is your name Bill?  Sorry to sound a bit abrupt about it, but after speaking to several people that had to face revision surgeries and them telling me if they had it to do all over again.... it just makes me really want to caution the new folks on here.  I feel if you took the trouble to find Pat's site that you are smart enough to do your research and deserve to know what is best for you.  Where do you live?  I am in Northern California, Roseville is actually up by Sacramento, I am in the Bay area.

Vicky

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 04:30:15 PM »
Any time B.I.L.L.  Interesting, does that stand for something or is your name Bill?  Sorry to sound a bit abrupt about it, but after speaking to several people that had to face revision surgeries and them telling me if they had it to do all over again.... it just makes me really want to caution the new folks on here.  I feel if you took the trouble to find Pat's site that you are smart enough to do your research and deserve to know what is best for you.  Where do you live?  I am in Northern California, Roseville is actually up by Sacramento, I am in the Bay area.

Vicky

It stands for Boy I Love Limping.....  Naw just kidding, my name is Bill.
Someone came up with that one night so I used it for a screen name.  Still waiting to hear back from Dr. Chhaabra on wich implant and how many he has done by now. There is also another Dr. that works with him, I will get his name as well.  I'm in southern california (San Clemente)  We actually drove through sacramento last weekend for a long weekend the Mt. Shasta area.  I have no issues with going to Roseville for the operation, and the pt and follow up down here, I'll have to check with Kaiser and see if that is an option, for what I pay every month it oughtta be.  This seems like a pretty cool site, I'll look through all the topics tonight when I have more time, Thanks for the input, Bill 8) 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 04:32:36 PM by B.I.L.L. »

Vicky

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 04:54:57 PM »
That is funny, but you will have to change the limping to laughing after your surgery when you get to return to all the activites you love.   ;D

There is a great doc in Mt. Shasta too but he is not with the Kaiser system.  I hope you will be able to go to Dr. Klug, he is probably the most experienced that you will find within the Kaiser system for resurfacing.

Vicky

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 09:07:15 AM »
Hey Bill - You're going to love the feeling of post-hip resurfacing. But Vicky is right - make sure to do your homework and find out what all your options are as far as devices and doctors. There must be someone in your network/area with more experience than 15 procedures.
Obviously, you're taking a big step with this surgery, so learn all you can ahead of time. There's lots of great information on this site.
Good luck -
- Tom
Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (RBHR)
7/1/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:05:26 PM »
Hi Bill

Boy I Love To Limp!!!!   Love it!

You won't be limping after your get your hip resurfaced - at least not for long.

You might want to do a little homework and do some reading on the website.  Here is a page about cement and cementless hip devices by several of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the world  http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqcementcomponents.php

If you don't have a lot of time to read, I would start with the visitors guide
http://www.surfacehippy.info/visitorguide.php

I would also suggest you try to take some time to learn a bit before you have major surgery.  I have been doing my website for over 3 years and have learned a lot.  I am not a doctor, I just read peoples stories and read medical information.

The one thing I have learned is to use the most experienced surgeon you can.  Sometimes people have a difficult time due to their insurance restrictions.  If you can, try to get a second opinion from one of the really experienced surgeons on my list  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

In general, it is the newer doctors still in their learning curve that have problems, so the best way to make sure you will have a good outcome is to use an experinced surgeon.  Not everyone can do that, but you are taking more of a chance by using the newer surgeons.

You also have to go by your gut feelings.  If you like the surgeon you have talked to and think he will give you what you need, then go for it.  If you still have some of those nagging questions or feelings inside - look further.  No one knows more about what you should do - than you.

Good luck.  Lets us know if you have more questions.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 01:50:31 AM »
Well I met with Dr Chhabra and he answered all my questions (22 of em) I'm set to have right a bhr on 9-22-08.  He has done over 50 now and I feel confident with him so I am going for it.  I had some concerns about cemented vs uncemented, as well as what type of thr if the bhr will not work.  He said he had one where the end of the femur (ball) was too damaged and they had to go with a thr. He showed me the aborted implant with the end of the femur cemented on and you could see where they cut the ball off for the thr :o.  I feel confident after seeing that piece that the cement will be ok. From what I've read in here the cemented ones are holding up fine, and most of the doctors listed in here cement the ball side. Also I noticed its not like a loose fit, its more like a nail driven into a piece of wood.  If the bhr will not be an option, the thr is uncemented metal on metal with the same larger ball (like a bhr)  The fact that he can recognize when there may be a future problem was reassuring.  He said I was his most curious patient (Ha Ha Thanks for this site !!, reading the posts in here and using the links is where I got most of my info)
  I've noticed a few people in here asking about returning to sports etc.  I've read almost all of them and watched alot of you tube videos and feel confident I'll be able to do whatever I used too.  I'll be fifty in jan. and surfed regulary until about 6-7 years ago when going from paddling to standing in a quick fluid motion went out the window ha ha, Iv'e been boogie boarding but it aint the same.... Cannot wait to surf again.  We also do alot of dirt biking and an occasional motocross race. There are several guys in the club I race with (So-Cal Oldtimers motocross club) that have new hips and are doing great. So after putting it off for close to seven years, it's down to 12 days away. I've been pretty nervous about it lately and kind of stressing out more than a little bit, but am excited about getting back to pain free living.  Haven't been posting in here too much but doing alot of lurking and reading, you will be hearing more from me in about 14-15 days when I will be spending alot more time at home. Thanks again for this site !!  It has been very informative and helpfull. Talk to you soon, Bill.    (Soon to be R BHR 9-22-08 Bill)

DirkV

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 03:09:36 AM »
Hi Bill,
As somebody who has been very active and participated in competitive sports, I think you can use that to your advantage as you approach surgery. I know I put the surgery in the framework of a major competition (hockey tournament, cycling event, etc.). For the mental aspect, one vivid recollection of surgery day was talking to the anesthesiologist and commenting that I was sure I had plenty of adrenaline coursing through my body - told him I hadn't had such an adrenaline rush since I stopped playing hockey a few years earlier. He smiled and looked at his big syringe of goofy drug and said, "I have something for that."
Good luck and I look forward to hearing positive results of your surgery and recovery!
-Dirk (bilat ASR)
Bilateral 02/08, 03/08, Dr. Ball

John C

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 04:07:49 AM »
Hi B.I.L.L
I really related to your story about surfing, and losing the ability to jump to your feet, which happened to me about 10 years ago. Hopefully we will both get back to surfing. On a side note, when I gave up surfing, I discovered waveskiing (basically a high performance sit-on-top surf kayak with a surfboard like bottom shape), and I have enjoyed it so much, that I am not sure that I want to go back to stand up surfing even if I can. Check it out if your hip still gives you trouble. I have had a few friends who had hips replaced, and most were able to return to surfing with no problems.

John
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

graza

• Right Mid Head Resection McMinn 20/08/08
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 07:46:08 AM »
Yo Bill,

I'm from and Island of the coast of France called Jersey. (the original one)  :D

I've surfed for about 15 years and always said i'd get something done with my hip when i had to give it up. That day arrived 6 months ago. It took football from me, running from me and enjoying a full nights sleep from me, but i'd never let it take my one true love, and thats surfing.

I had Dysplasia of my right hip and due to lack of bone density in my femoral neck the BHR wasn't an option for me, so i had to explore other options, one of which was with a relatively new concept which i decided to go for. I'm 3 weeks post op after having a Birmingham Mid Head Resection with Mr. D McMinn in the UK. Check out his site. The BMHR is a step between BHR and THR (the BMHR video's amazing, we watched it a couple of days before the op and it made me feel so confident in McMinn's abilities).

www.mcminncentre.com

I feel great, with no pain and enjoying the post op rehab! Probably be a couple of months out of the water but already thinking of my next surf trip somewhere in central America

Derek McMinn who performed my operation pioneered the whole resurfacing procedure. The guy's a legend.
Cheers Boss
Graza.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 10:32:21 AM »
Hi Bill

I wanted to wish you good luck with your upcoming surgery.

You will be able to surf after your resurf  ;D

I am glad you found a doctor you like and feel confident in.

I will look forward to your posts after your surgery and recovery.  Be sure to start a story in the Hip Stories section so we can follow your progress. 

Good Luck!

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 11:36:46 AM »
Thanks Pat, I will do that.

bigmo, John C. , and graza, Thanks for replying. Hey surfer dudes, I see those surf kayak things at san onofre all the time. They have a little area by dogpatch where they all kind of congrigate. As much as I hated those things when I used to surf, I have to admit they look pretty darn fun, might have to get me one of those things ha ha. Anyway really looking forward to surfing again like I said. I've been boogie boarding the local beach breaks. Since its mostly semi-close out top to bottom tubes that nobody wants to surf, its usually just me. The rides aren't very long, maybe 5-6 seconds, but it's 5-6 seconds in the tube right ?  Can't wait to surf a nice long point again.
I don't know if you have heard of Bill Stewart, he is a shaper and has a shop in town here (San Clemente) he has a new hip (THR) and is back surfing after a long layoff, I can't wait to "surf myself back into shape"  Good luck you guys, talk to ya soon, Bill.

wayne-0

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2008, 12:41:53 AM »
Hey Bill
I am waiting for my hip resurfacing surgery and after it get done I hope to get back in the water as well.Your story totally reminds me of mine.I have not been able to stand up on my board for three years now and I have become a sponger too ( at least i still get barreled,better than no waves right).I live in Mission Viejo and sponge t-street,state park the pier and 204.Can't wait to surf them again.I,ve surfed san-0 and windsurfed there alot as well.Also I did not know that Bill stewert got a new hip(when?)I used to ride his boards when he was still shaping out of Dana Point back in the early Eighties.Good luck with your resurfacing and maybe we will have to catch a couple waves together after our surgeries.
                                                            Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 03:07:53 AM »
Hey Wayne,  I don't know how long ago Billy got a hip, seems like 2-3 years, so its probably longer.  I met him in the late 70's or early 80's (kinda fuzzy ha ha) He was shaping out of the south shore shop in Tustin and I was a polisher.  Going to hopefully hang out at the beach and ride some waves tomorrow. We usually go just north of state park but not quite riviera, right in front of where the canyon dumps out and the new beach trail has a little bridge.  I'll be the bald guy on the red bz that takes about 10 minutes to put my right fin on....ha ha.  The water is still warm so I'm trying to log as much tube time as possible before surgery on the 22nd.  If ya get a wild hair check it out, it aint usually that good but hollow and empty is hard to beat. When is your surgery date ?

wayne-0

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
Hey Bill,
I,m still waiting for autorization thru pacific care hmo.I am in an appeals process because I am trying to go out of my medical group to get this done.In my medical group there is only one doc that does resurfacing and he has only done four and he is not so sold on this surgery because of what happened in the 70's.I am trying to get Dr. Ball to do this surgery and he is out of UCSD.Pacific Care has to make a decision by September 18th (four more days).I will keep you informed.By the way Dr. Ball surfs so he knows how bummed I am out of the water,and he has had a few surfers after surgery back in the water after six weeks,maybe not shreding yet but standing up and cruising.By the way do you know a glasser named Steve Zeidman?
                                                   Wayne
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2008, 01:07:29 AM »
Hey Wayne, nope, I don't know any glassers anymore.  I hope you get your approval and are able to use the doc you want. Keep us posted.   
  Well I'm one week away and am starting to get kinda nervous ha ha. You know, what if he eff's it up, what if this, what if that, having dreams where I'm doing something and my leg comes off....., (I know , stupid!) I've had two knee surgeries before so I know sort of what to expect as far as the hospital visit etc. but I've been putting this thing off now for a long time and really wish I could just fast forward to after the surgery where everything went well and each day is a day healing instead of waiting... Surfing at 6 weeks post op would be phenominal to say the least, if I am surfing 2 months from now I will be one happy camper. I've been doing a lot of swimming, butt crunches, leg lifts, stretching, everything I can think of to go in as strong as possible, hopefully it pays off in recovery time.  My pre-op appt. is tomorrow. Good luck again with your ins. and keep us posted, B.I.L.L.  out 8)   

obxpelican

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2008, 10:13:39 AM »
Hey Bill,

Good luck in your surgery and I wish you a very speedy recovery.

I don't want to downplay the surgery, but I read enough pre-op from enough surface hippies that I was not too worried, that is until they told me to put on that hospital gown, that was when I got freaked out, sort of like I was on a roller coaster and I was locked in with no turning back, but then shortly after that they gave me the "I don't care" medicine.... that stuff was great.

In the end, it was not a big deal, my biggest problem when I awoke from surgery in recovery was that I wanted to get up and do some laps around the floor.  I guess I was not aware that I was still in recover, not in my room.  As far as pain goes I had none the day of surgery and the day after it was more like a big old cramp in my hip, not screaming pain..... I would have to say that the pain was less than when I had to walk for more than a block on my bad hip.

Start thinking about how nice it's going to be a week and a day from now Bill, think of how nice it will be to be painless--- don't think about the operation, think about what you will be the day after.

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »
Thanks for the encouraging words Chuck. The pre-op is over so the next trip up there is the real deal. Glad you are doing well. Talk to you guys soon, Bill.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat