+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Getting back to biking/walking  (Read 3444 times)

aedny

Getting back to biking/walking
« on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:18 AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm 3 months post-op, having been non-weight bearing on crutches for 6 weeks, and then in PT for 4weeks after that.  Finally got back on my two feet a few weeks ago, walking pretty darn well.  Hopped on my road bike for the first time last weekend and felt great.  Did a 3 mile walk last night and felt great but a little achy (not severe at all) in the groin today.  Is the aching to be expected for a while yet?  I just want to make sure I'm not pushing it.  Thanks...and LOVE this site!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Getting back to biking/walking
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 12:25:29 PM »
Hi

Your body will take a lot of time to heal from the major surgery.

Dr. De Smet always told us to listen to our bodies!  If you do a lot of something and have pain afterwords - back off a little.  You are still only 3 months post op.  There is no reason to push yourself too much.

Increase your activities a little at a time.  You have the rest of your life to be really active.

It takes close to a year or more for everything to heal from the surgery.  Just back off if you are getting achy - not worth having to take pills or give your body a hard time while it is healing.

Best of Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 12:35:34 PM »
You go Aedny! It's great to hear so many people motivated to get up and get active again. I'm just over 4 weeks post-op, but I'm getting around great and had a beautiful early-morning walk with my wife today. About a mile through our quiet neighborhood - some hills. This is what I've been waiting for, and it feels great!
Good luck Aedny, and keep us posted.
- Tom
RBHR 7/1/08
Dr. Ari Pressman - Pittsburgh

aedny

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »
Holy cow, thanks Tom and Pat for the fast replies!  I most certainly have learned that my recovery is just that:  MY recovery.  Everyone's surgical procedures are different, implants vary and, as such, recovery varies.  I do miss running, which I have not been able to do for more than four years now.  And unless I want the other hip to go, I will stick to walking and biking, but living in Buffalo, my outdoor biking time is somewhat limited.  I will make the most of it this year and just bundle up as it gets cooler!  Any tri's (new or old timers) out there...how has your swim experience changed at all since your resurfacing?  Never was a swimmer, but would love to give it a whirl.  Anne

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear