+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Approaching Two Years Post-OP  (Read 2360 times)

Comfortably Numb

Approaching Two Years Post-OP
« on: February 20, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
As I approach my two year anniversary with Dr. Gross, I have some questions for those of you who have suffered pain beyond a year or so.

In the way of background, I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross on April 29, 2015.  I recovered very quickly and after a couple of months post-op, was walking about 3 miles, 5 days per week with minimal difficulty.  Eight months into my hip rehab (Dec. 2016), I slipped on wet grass and ruptured my right quadriceps tendon.  According to everyone who has seen multiple x-rays of my hip since that event, I did not damage the implant.  “Your hip looks great!!” they all say.

The knee injury was the worst experience of my life.  The post-surgical pain was unbearable, and I was locked in a leg brace with 0 flexion and 0 weight bearing for six weeks.  Needless to say, I lost most of my hip rehab over the 3 month period when I was either on my back or involved in PT for the knee.  Around the first of May 2016, I was able to resume walking and gradually try to build back to where I was before the fall.

I say build back to where I was, but it hasn’t been that way.  My knee is probably as good as its going to get, but my hip is an almost constant problem.  I am always aware of a tight feeling in the operated area just inside the scar.  Sometimes I will experience groin pain that radiates across my upper thigh from the tight area. Walking several days in a row seems to bring this on, particularly in the evening.  I’ll end up in bed with a very deep, dull pain. After a bad night, I usually wake up the next morning with no pain at all!  It seems that if I had strained a ligament or muscle, the pain would not go away as quickly as it comes. 

I reported all of this to Lee last June and she said that it often takes two years for total recovery.  She told me last year that we could try a PSOAS injection if the problem persisted, but I haven’t been in enough constant, severe pain yet to request that.  I keep thinking that it will get better if I keep walking.  This does work for awhile and then I'm in pain again.

Do any of you have ideas about what’s going on with my “recovery?” Have you tried any exercise or PT that have relieved similar symptoms?  Maybe I’m expecting too much given the five month setback I suffered. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:26:40 PM by Comfortably Numb »
Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

MattJersey

Re: Approaching Two Years Post-OP
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
Hi Comfortably Numb, good to hear from you albeit with your difficulties.

Is there any sign of it improving just a little over the period? Is your strength improving? Maybe it is a bit binary, and you need to reach some strength level before it settles?

Has your building back up been knee rehab, or the original hip exercises too? if not then perhaps worth going back to basics. At least they're saying the joint looks ok (although having uncertainty as to why is probably frustrating).

I hope that it is just a matter of time and you will get there. Best wishes.

Matt
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Comfortably Numb

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:25:11 PM »
Thanks Matt.  It's good to be back.  I think I have improved over the past two years considering the severe interruption caused by my knee injury.  The knee has required most of my attention over the past 10 months, but fortunately the rehab for the knee (walking) is also my primary hip rehab.

I can't say for sure that my hip issue is directly caused by overuse.  In fact, I have occasionally awakened with this hip pain after a night's sleep--possibly having slept in an awkward position.  Also, the pain is not usually noticeable during walking.  It seems to come on in the afternoon following several days in a row of walking.  If the pain were due to a strained muscle, tendon, or ligament, it seems logical that it would last for several days. However, that's rarely the case.  The pain is intense and kind of scary when it happens, but it most often leaves by the next day.

I think your suggestion to go back to the basic hip strengthening exercises is excellent.  I have not been doing them at all thinking that regular walking was all I needed.  Also, I think I need a good exercise for stretching the PSOAS.  The one where you lie down on your stomach and pull you knee from behind may not be possible considering the condition of my knee. If anyone knows of a good stretch for the PSOAS (preferably standing) other than the one just described, a link would be greatly appreciated.

Right HR, April 29, 2015, Dr. Gross and Lee Webb; Uncemented Biomet Magnum 60/54 and Recap AHA 54;
30 degree angle

MattJersey

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
There are some fans of the foam roller on here to help with stretching out which might be worth searching for.

And I have discovered myself that just walking isn't enough, it doesn't strengthen some important muscles in there.

I wonder if there is any similarity with the runners who get a sudden pain after a few miles and have to stop, but it goes away immediately on cessation...
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal