+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out Patient  (Read 2286 times)

always phil

Out Patient
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:40:21 PM »
I just had my left hip replaced after years of pain.  I am an ex-athlete and 52 years old.  So much has changed with these procedures.  I went in at 7 and was home by 6 that evening.  The nurse came by in the morning to draw bloods, the doctor stopped by in the morning and the rehab person had me up and going that afternoon.  I have an excellent support system at home.  I was shuffling in the walker about 3 or 4 hours post op.  I know out patient has been done before but I was wondering if anyone else had such a positive experience.  I am 12 days post op and walking up and down stairs unassisted and walking unassisted albeit slow.  I still use the cane but am working on form.  Pain is moderate and am reducing the use of the meds gradually.  I'm a coumadin patient so I can't use NSAIDs or the like and have to stick to the opioids.  I'm walking a few hundred meters each day, but do rely on the cane.  Anyone else know of the out patient approach.  It really encouraged me to stay out of the hospital.

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
Re: Out Patient
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:07:02 AM »
Wow Phil. I guess I could have done outpatient, but it was nice to have the nurse there to hand out pain meds for a couple of days. Sounds like things worked well for you.
We're the same age and background. I'm 5 weeks post-op with a Birmingham hip resurfacing, and it's feeling better every day. Keep us posted on your progress.
- Tom

xocy

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:35:41 AM »
NOT ME!

Mike

Bilateral
Dr. Gross
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Big Bill

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »
To : always phil.....I noticed that you mention "replacement" in your post ....Did you have a   "replacement" or "resurfacing"....just curious....,but whatever you had ....same day out patient for a hip procedure like replacement or resurfacing is faaassst! I went in on a Wednesday for resurfacing and was out on Friday. That was quick enough for me !I have read about out patient procedures for the hip. Where was it done...who was your surgeon....what device and approach was used...give us some more info!!! Sounds like you are doing great,,,post your progress! Best of luck !

Thanks, Big Bill  C.A.S.H.

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
If I would have one outpatient, i would've had to been poured into the car and forklifted out or one giant spatula. I was sooo groggy.

spencer

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:30:07 PM »
Hi Always Phil

I wonder too if you had a MIS THR or a resurfacing.  I have read about some doctors working on the MIS THR as an outpatient surgery.  I have not heard about hip resurfacing as an outpatient yet.  However, you never know as the doctors develop new techniques.

We would like to know which type of hip you received and also who was your doctor?

We like to know about doctors that have new techniques.  Other people might want to consider using them.

We look forward to learning more about your surgery and how your recovery is doing.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevenp

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »
Gee, I dunno about the outpatient thing. I was glad to stay for a couple of days post-surgery--enough time to feel comfortable on crutches, let the incision drain and have the drain removed, etc. Plus I would not have been able to go to the bathroom myself right away--not without extreme discomfort! My short hospital stay was a great experience, and over before I knew it.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat