+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rugby after BHR  (Read 2104 times)

Ormwills

Rugby after BHR
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:23:27 AM »
I had a Birmingham resurfacing on my right side in the U.K 14 months ago.

I've had a fantastic recovery and feel 100% and have been gyming, circuit training and regularly running.
Before my operation I played rugby on a casual basis and wondered if anybody else had dared to return to contact sport after the BHR?
I am 28 and generally in good shape. I don't want to admit my rugby playing career is over at my age and have a real desire to get back playing.

PMac

Re: Rugby after BHR
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »
Hi buddy

I'm a fellow UK hippie, where did you have your op? I'm about 20 months post op now and feel stronger than ever, I'm not a rugby player but have returned to playing football with my surgeons blessing. He basically told me to listen to my body and don't try anything to extreme. I guess the only fear is getting hit hard or awkwardly, if in doubt I'd ask your surgeon for his advice.

Paul
Age 46, LBHR 54mm head 13th Nov 2015 by Mr Stephen Eastaugh-Waring, Spire hospital, Bristol UK

Ormwills

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:11:39 PM »
Hi,
I had my op in Gloucester, started with a key hole operation and then went for the Birmingham 12 months later.
I've not heard anything from the NHS / surgeaon since my 3 month review, I assume I'm not being seen routinely until 2 years post op.
I stopped rugby 4/5 years ago due to pain pre op. Since then I've managed to keep myself distracted from playing rugby until a few weeks ago ( blame the lions tour ) since then I've started pre season training with my local team and have really caught the bug again. 
I'm determined I'm going to play full contact perhaps after a few more months of training. I'm currently looking for a suitable hip/ groin support that could potentially help and lesser the impact of a big hit.
W

karlos.bell

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 03:18:11 AM »
 :) Doubt whether it would be any issue at all. Play on and enjoy life. If it is installed correctly it will be hard to wear out. All indications are 95% life after 20 years at present. (correct me if I am wrong others) Means you could be 48 and still playing rugby? good luck... 8)
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz