+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Physical Therapy - Dr. Gross Says it's Not Necessary. Really?  (Read 3544 times)

Jps1776

Physical Therapy - Dr. Gross Says it's Not Necessary. Really?
« on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:54 PM »
I'm scheduled for surgery next week with Dr. Gross.  I was told he does not prescribe PT. That it is not necessary. All I need do is follow his "simple" exercises. Really? I'm athletic and have found PT to be helpful in numerous situations. Is anyone doing PT following surgery with Dr. Gross? If not, how do you regain control and strength of your muscles?

Quig

Re: Physical Therapy - Dr. Gross Says it's Not Necessary. Really?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
I'm a bilat about 16 months out from surgery with Dr. Gross. He does give some simple exercises but doesn't suggest or require active PT. I think it really boils down to your expectations and how **your** body reacts to the surgery.

I too am athletic and had (have?) very high expectations for these new hips. I don't run much (but can again!!) but am extremely active and ride a bike (mountain and road) quite a lot and at a pretty high level. While the recovery has taken time, and I'm still seeing improvement, I have not needed true PT. I have learned through this recovery how important it is to LISTEN TO YOUR BODY and act/exercise/rest accordingly and that has facilitated a recovery I'm pretty damn pleased with.

I don't think PT is a bad idea and certainly don't think Dr. Gross will tell you not to but I also don't think it's necessary assuming you are able to be realistic and patient and also push yourself at the right pace for a strong, athletic future. Regarding your question of regaining strength and control, I believe you will be surprised how quickly the 'control' comes back. That part wasn't an issue for me at all. As far as the 'strength' part, it's still coming back for me and I believe it will continue for some time. I think an active PT/gym schedule with realistic exercise and weight usage would not be a bad idea at all. I also think that an extremely active life and pushing hard at life in general will get the job done. I continue to use a combination of the two minus the formal PT.

Best of luck with your surgery. I hope you're as pleased with your results as many of the rest of us are.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:29:11 AM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

blinky

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:19:33 AM »
Another Dr Gross bilat, here, 22 months out.

I followed orders and stayed away from PT the first six months. I think Dr Gross worried an overzealous PT (coupled with an overly ambitious patient) could prevent the new hip from healing. Letting the hip rest and heal is the best thing you can do at first.

I'll offer an anecdote that illustrates this. I was also athletic and active and eager to get back to my old life running. Even though I stuck with those little exercises, I also walked as much as allowed and went back to swimming asap (the restrictions on swimming are looser). I was out crutching around the neighborhood every day from the first week and back in the pool as soon as the incisions healed. A friend here had both her hips resurfaced after me. She is not a former athlete and she barely left the house the first six weeks. She took the order to rest seriously. When I saw her at eight weeks, she was moving wonderfully. No limp, no indication she was recovering from surgery. Instead of pushing the envelope, she waited until her rest period was over. We got to the same result.

FWIW I did go to PT after six months had passed and Dr Gross wrote me a script for that no problem. At the end of six months I had a good idea of what was hard for me and what wasn't healing fine on its own. The PT I chose had worked with resurf patients before and had a good eye for unbalanced movements.

And as a final comment I'll add that I am still improving, but sometimes have to take a step back to surge forwards. I push myself pretty hard and have crossed the red line and then had to rest, but that red line keeps moving further out.

Joe_CA

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 01:48:27 PM »
Hey Jps,

Yet another bilateral Dr. Gross patient chiming in here (maybe this thread can be dominated by *all* bilat patients of Dr. Gross!). I'm almost 9 months out and haven't used any physical therapy to date, and it's unlikely I will. Would I have benefitted from PT during my recovery? I'm sure to a certain extent. However, I can guarantee that PT isn't a mandatory component in your healing. It may speed up the progress of regaining some strength and flexibility though.

As Quig stated, you will get much of your control back very quickly in terms of everyday activities. If you're doing one hip, you might find yourself feeling "normal" while walking in a mere 2,3 weeks. And as Blinky said, you want to avoid an overzealous therapist not accustomed to this type of surgery, and one who might push you beyond your restrictions.

Having said that, there is no reason you couldn't benefit from using a physical therapist. During your recovery, you'll know how your body is healing, and what areas you might need to work on. For me the glutes was/were the body part that needed the most attention. Having a professional show me different ways to strengthen these muscles would have helped for sure.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery! Your in great hands with Dr. Gross and his staff.

Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

John C

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »
When I asked Dr Gross about this, his answer seemed to focus on some horror stories regarding overly aggressive PTs that had pushed some of his patients too hard too early, and caused some very serious complications. I believe that some had to be revised in less than six months. He tried to hide it, but you could tell he was pretty upset with the PTs involved. I think that his feeling is that your can regain your strength and range of motion in time, so rushing in early with an overly aggressive PT is not worth the risk. I think that if he had control of who the PT was, he would be much less concerned, but his patients come from all over the country, so he has no control over what PT a patient might end up with.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:49:20 AM »
My surgeon said same thing. I asked why and he said "I don't want them pulling and pushing too hard too soon". And lets face it, physios do love to put your knee to their should and test out those hip flexors!

Me, as another active, and it has to be said, inpatient person, did go straight to my physio after my 6 week check up, told her what the surgeon said and began a program to start me on a run/walk regime at 4 months, which worked.

On reflection, was it necessary? I'm not sure. If I had to do it again I think I would stick to the simple exercises and regular walking the surgeon prescribed to at least the 4 month point and then start running at 6 months.

If you have any kind of athletic ambitions you need to increase you strength, range of motion and strength in the range of motion (its no good be strong at 60 degrees and weak at 80) but don't be in a rush to do so. Start and then push yourself when you body is ready. Which is different for everybody.

Good luck.

Quig

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 09:40:21 AM »
For my 6 week follow up I went to a local PT Guru I know who is also a top level cyclist and mega-athlete. While discussing my hips, he asked me what the surgeon prescribed for recovery. When I told him what Dr. Gross asked me to do and that his strong suggestion was to avoid PT especially early, the PT laughed and said he runs into that often. He said good surgeons don't want overzealous PT's screwing up their work. He complimented Dr. Gross for knowing what works for his patients and told me I'd be wise to listen but also don't be afraid to push a little as time goes by but DO NOT OVERDO it and to listen to my body.
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 12:47:54 PM »
I was prescribed both home therapy and physical therapy by my surgeon.

I did go in very cognizant of the issues with overzealous PT, but the groups involved had long experience with THR treatment (I was their first resurfacing patient and they were excited). They were careful and built up things well, also were in contact with my surgeon.

Having said that, if there were any question of dealing with a PT practitioner who was over aggressive, I would opt out and just do prescribed exercises.  I had a six month wait period for activity, and although at the time it seemed like forever, it was over quickly in retrospect.

I'd go by the advice of your surgeon. There's time enough for aggression when the healing is done.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

jmorriss

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. Gross in August of 2016 and followed his instructions, meaning no formal PT.  Have had no issues and I'm back to a high activity level.  I had my left hip resurfaced in January of 2008 by a different surgeon and had PT after that one.  I suggest you follow Dr. Gross's recommendation.

RebeccaT

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 10:22:55 PM »
I had my right hip done by Dr Gross about the same time as blinky...22 months ago last week. After about 8 weeks I was still limping slightly and very concerned the limp would never go away. I called Nancy at Dr Gross' office and she sent me a script for PT. Maybe the script was magic :) but within a week or so of getting it, the limp went away. I was back in the gym doing most anything but running anyway ... range of motion took a while but it didn't really limit activity ... however now I notice that my range of motion is completely back ... I can pull my knee up to my chest with no prob and have better rotation in my right hip than in my left. All that sort of just happened.

I never went to PT and am glad I didn't. If you aren't fit and aren't working out, maybe PT would be a big help, and if there's a specific issue to address it would also probably be good ... but it is definitely not a necessity. I was totally surprised on that front!!

I had two friends who had hip replacements within six months of my surgery. They both spent hours at PT ... and $$$$. Am sure THR is different, but watching them I was definitely glad I didn't have to spend that much time or $$.
Right Hip - Dec 11, 2015 - Dr Gross

MattJersey

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 02:05:17 AM »
MR McMinn doesn't prescribe it either. He offers the videos and simple exercises that keep you going to six weeks, and beyond these should continue.

His recommendation is for breaststroke (frog leg) kick once you're cleared after six weeks. That is one of the best exercises for building a strong flexible hip.

And take your time ... here I am two and a half years later and all is rosy in the garden. It is easy to forget I've had hip done!
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Granton

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 04:00:29 AM »
Mr McMinn does not suggest it, but gives you some exercises to work on.

After my second one, I was prescribed a series of physio sessions for an unrelated back issue (which got better before I got to the first session). The physiotherapist used the time to look at me doing my exercises and helped tailor them to my specific needs and ability.

I found this very helpful.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat