+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: both at the same time?  (Read 2847 times)

sks

both at the same time?
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:52:33 PM »
Can anyone direct me to info about having both hips resurfaced at the same time or has anyone had this done?  Thank you for any help you can give me. ???

Vicky

Re: both at the same time?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »
There are only a handful of surgeons that will do bilateral resurfacing on the same day.  Many like to space them apart.  Doctors that do bilaterals same day that I know of off the top of my head are, Dr. Su in NYC, Dr. Amstutz in LA, Dr. De Smet in Belgium, not sure who else.  Where do you live? 

The people that have had bilateral the same day all rave about it being the way to go.  Of course it depends on whether or not both hips are really bad off.  I was told I would need both hips done by local doctors and of course they all recommended THR's, but my doctor told me that he would fix the one really bad hip and the other one might get better.  Almost three years later, my right hip is not giving me any problems so I am glad I waited and did not have both done.

Vicky

sks

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:25:30 PM »
Vicky,

Thank you so much for replying.   I live in Hawaii, but am going to LA (Dr. Amstutz's partner, Dr. Schmulzreid is , hopefully, going to be my doc).  I have my first phone consultation (pretty sure they'll say yes) on Thurs.  When talking with his asst yesterday, she asked if I wanted to do both at once.  I hadn't even thought of it before that, but the more I think of it, it seems the way to go.  I'm healthy and both hips are pretty bad.  The left one has been bad for around 20 years and the right for around 6.  Now, the right is the worst of the two. 

My other reasoning is that I'm in an HMO and the reason they authorized other-state surgery is that no one in my HMO is doing it here.  I'm afraid that waiting for my left one will leave me open to a newly-trained doc and Dr. Schmulzreid has done over 500.

My fear is that it'll be too much.  I've never had surgery so I don't even know what healing from something like that feels like.  Do you, personally, think that you could've managed having both of them done at once?

Once again, thanks for replying.

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 04:33:01 PM »
Hi,

What is your name?  Dr. Schmalzried is an excellent surgeon.  I had the pleasure of spending a good amount of time chatting with him while I was in Belgium recently.  He is SO TALL!  I know the patients that have had both done on the same day say that is the only way to go because they describe it as having two good legs to stand on after the surgery.  I think if you need both done and they gave you the option, then I would go for it.  I do not believe Dr. S would offer to do both the same time if both did not need to be done.  He is very conservative so if he is willing to do both at one time then you must need both done.

Do me a favor and tell him I said hi. 

Vicky Marlow

sks

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
Vicky,

Thanks again for the info.  I will come back here after I talk to him on Thursday to let you know what he says.  I'll tell him you said hi.

Sally Simonds

sks

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 08:50:08 PM »

Tarhoo2

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 10:08:09 PM »
Sally,

I had mine done just shy of 4 months apart.  I'm glad I did it the way I did, but would suggest that you rely on actual first-person experiences of doing both at the same time.  I'd be happy to discuss my experience,if you're interested.

Jim

xocy

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:46:07 PM »
I had one on 6/23 and the other on 6/25. I would not do it any other way. Feel free to contact me.

Mike
mraycox@aol.com
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

sks

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:13:24 PM »
Jim,

Thank you.  I think I've pretty much decided to do it at the same time if I can.  Having to travel to another state to get it done adds to it too.  I'm just glad my HMO will pay.  Glad you're doing well.

Sally

sks

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 08:10:34 PM »
Vicky,

It hurts to sit too long or I would have been researching more myself.  I'm very greatful to you - thanks for additional info. I've also been getting lots of info from Mike who did it two days apart.

I read about that age thing when I first started investigating, but have heard of older women doing it too.  I also heard the woman thing has to with being short and I'm pretty tall with long legs so hopefully that will help too.  I haven't stockpiled blood and that could also be a problem. But, I'm in pretty good physical shape and health, no meds, and only a few (I like to think) pounds overweight so I have my fingers crossed that he takes me too.   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 09:40:15 PM »
Hi Sally

I wanted to welcome you to Hip Talk.

Vicky has given you a lot of information. I know of some patients that have their bilats done at the same time and many that don't.  Not all doctors will do them at the same time.  You also have to have good physical conditioning and good mental attitude to do both at the same time. 

Many that do feel it is the only way to go.  One surgery and one recovery.

I was with a bilateral in Belgium 2 years ago when I had my hip resurfacing with Dr. De Smet.  He does them at the same time normally.  Anyways, the bilat patient stays in the hospital a day or so longer.  The Bilat I was with was walking with only one crutch at about the same time I was.  I found that interesting.  I was 61 and older.  It is more difficult for people as the get older.

I don't know if you also realize that some doctors in the US don't like to do older women.  If you find you are not being offered a resurfacing, then try another doctor or two.  There are some that will do older women.

Good Luck and stay in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

sks

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 01:45:57 PM »
Vicky,

Well, I just talked to Dr. S.  I told him you said "hi" and he talked about how helpful you are out here on the internet.  He won't do both hips on women on the same day cause, statistically, more women's (I think he said 50%) femurs fail than men's.  So I guess that answers that.  Anyway, the good news is he is going to take me and do the resurfacing.  Thanks for all the info.  So very helpful.  I'll come back here afterwards and report in.

Sally

Vicky

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 01:48:33 PM »
That is great news Sally!  I think you will be in excellent hands with Dr. S.  Do you have a surgery date booked yet?

Vicky

sks

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 05:52:43 PM »
Tentatively, Sept 15.  Oh boy!

nwugrad

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 02:54:26 PM »
Vicky,

We exchanged emails several weeks ago and you suggested I contact you after I received new xrays.  Since that time I've had a consult with Dr. Mont.  He will do a Bi lat but 1 week apart b/c he does a posterior ( I believe) incisison. I just got a cd of my xrays from his office.  I want to consult with Dr. Su but couldn't get an appointment until late Sept. actually after the date Dr. Mont proposed for the surgeries.  I really would like to get both done and once and at least from what I read the method Dr. Su uses, which preserves the cup tissue sounds to be superior.  Do you think there is any way I could get in to see Dr. Su sooner?  Should I send him the CD in advance and ask for a phone consult?  Any suggestions or assistance would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Mike

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat