+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bilateral due for newbie  (Read 2746 times)

Mcopt

Bilateral due for newbie
« on: September 28, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »

Hi I am new to this forum. I have a bilateral Birmingham resurface booked with Mr McMinn on 21st Nov.
I am 62 and in good health and fitness, my hips have both been getting worse over the past 2 years to a point now where I need sticks to walk can't put socks on etc.
I couldn't choose which side is worse, perhaps right, and working for myself I need to try and keep time away from work to a minimum. The thought of getting both done together and hopefully getting a life back quickly is so appealing BUT the thought of going through what is a very major procedure scares the .... :( out of me. I see nearly everyone who has gone down the double route has no regrets, I would appreciate a little confidence building from others that I have hopefully made the right choice. I believe that having  Mr McMinn treating me is as good as it gets.
Regards to all

moe

Re: Bilateral due for newbie
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:16:07 PM »
Hey there, welcome to the forum. I had bilat surgery at the age of 56, never had any regrets. Thousands of cycling miles since then, never felt better, no issues. The recovery is a bit harder than a single. But after the first few weeks it isn't too bad. Hopefully you have some one around to help, it can be difficult without a good leg to stand on so to speak. Mr McMinn is a pillar of the procedure so no worries there. I am sure you will be fine. You will get you're life back, good luck and keep us posted mate.

moe
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Quig

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 01:05:06 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I too am a Bilat, about 18 months out from surgery. Rest assured, you'll do fine and be pleased you had the procedure. The first couple weeks aren't much fun, but also aren't horrible. After that the progress is pretty consistent and you'll likely feel better than you expected to. You won't be winning any foot races during that time but you'll get around well and life will get back to normal. Also, during recovery time sure seems to fly...

Best of luck, don't forget to stop by if you have any issues or questions. There's lots of helpful folks here.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:09:22 PM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

blinky

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 01:15:51 PM »
Another bilat here to tell you that you are doing the right thing.

I had both hips done by Dr Gross almost two years ago. Two hips, one recovery. That's the advantage. For about five days I was pretty helpless, but after that I was doing okay. I could walk from the beginning, but was weak and wobbly. Husband and I were careful about me falling, especially at night, so I tried not to get up and move around when he wasn't in the house. After that, I felt better and stronger and was mentally clear enough to manage on my own.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 01:17:52 PM by blinky »

Joe_CA

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 04:35:25 PM »
Hi Mcopt,

Welcome to the group. I'm 9.5 months out from bilateral surgery (Dr. Gross last December). You'll hear this often in the forum: "My only regret is I wish I would have done the procedure(s) earlier". That's exactly how I feel. Check out some of our stories here. I wrote about my bilateral surgeries precisely for individuals like you: those considering getting it done.

My assessment of the recovery period was that there was some relatively mild discomfort for a total of one to two days after the 2nd hip was done. As I recall, within 10 days or so, I was walking around the house better than I was before the surgeries. Getting in/out of bed and chairs, walking up stairs etc. was slightly difficult for the first month or so. However, the upside is the constant, nagging pain from arthritis is gone.

Frankly, I had a knee surgery (ruptured quadriceps tendon) that was more difficult to recover from in terms of pain and time to fully recover. I might have been on the luckier side of the equation, with pretty much zero complications post-surgery, but my hip resurfacing story isn't unique. So please read some of our bilateral accounts (and the others while you're at it :-)). It should set your mind at ease (or at least alleviate some of your worries).

Good luck,

Joe
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Mcopt

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 05:17:52 AM »

Hi thank you all so much for your positive and supportive replies it certainly makes it easier to realise you are not alone in this ordeal.
I have opted for the traditional metal on metal resurfacing although Mr McMinn did show me his relatively new cross linked poly cup he admits he only has a couple of years track record with these but said it was a viable option for me and left the ball in my court as I said I opted for metal but not too late to change my mind any thoughts anyone ?
I am 62 and hope to be reasonably active in the next 10 years or hopefully more health allowing mainly cycling walking motorcycling and hopefully skiing the prospect of revision in later life does not appeal as I am sure it is a concern for everyone else.

moe

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
MOM, 20 year track record. I would stick with that.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Mcopt

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 05:38:46 AM »
Thanks moe, that was my original thought, can't argue with 20 years really, going to stick with MOM
Cheers

karlos.bell

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »
 :) Good luck wish I had be able to have mine at 40 instead of 50. :D
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Mcopt

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 04:29:17 AM »
Thanks Karlos.bell wishing you many years of pain free hips.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear