+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taking the Plunge, Looking for Reassurance  (Read 2414 times)

ArthriticHip

Taking the Plunge, Looking for Reassurance
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:30:30 PM »
So after 2 years or so of internal debate, I've decided to move forward with hip resurfacing surgery. The pain has gone from slightly painful only after strenuous activity, to very painful after strenuous activity, to painful with every step. I'm scheduled for surgery next June with Dr Peter Brooks of the Cleveland Clinic. I guess I'm looking for some reassurance from any of you that have had positive results from this procedure.  I've become inactive, missing out on things I would like to do...so I know I've got to move forward with it. Hearing a few success stories sure would help...
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

packman

Re: Taking the Plunge, Looking for Reassurance
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:15 PM »
Congratulations on your decision- I'm certain you won't be disappointed and will resume your strenuous activities in due time - the one caution for active people is the mantra do not rush your recovery and listen to your body as you progress with strengthening and increasing rom / flexibility with the associated muscles
The bone on bone jolts and Spurs was what led me to my timeline with my right hip
After 4 1/2 years I don't even think about an implant there and it feels so natural
I had complete success with my right hip and got my life back
As my left hip showed similar symptoms I did not hesitate in the second decision and am 3 weeks into my recovery
For younger active people with good width of femoral bone I am fully confident of success
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:26:03 AM »
Hi  Welcome to Hip Talk.

Dr. Brooks is an excellent hip resurfacing surgeon.  There are many happy patients that returned to active pain free lives.  I am sure someone on this group will respond to your post.

Meanwhile, here are 50+ personal stories from Dr. Brooks patients.

http://surfacehippy.info/dr-brooks-hip-resurfacing-stories/

Everyone has a bit of doubt before surgery, but soon after surgery realize they should have done it sooner.

Good Luck.  Give us an update when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Joe_CA

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 01:41:02 PM »
Hi AH,

This extensive forum is loaded with success stories going from recent patients to those who underwent surgeries 15+ years ago. Spend some time reading here and your worries should be lessened. There's no doubt that you're going to have some reservations. Surgery of any kind is always a little daunting. I'm certainly no tough guy, but I almost had zero worries going into this (had bilateral surgeries 10 months ago, and am very satisfied).

I believe my perusing here for several months, hearing about other patients successes and return to much loved activities had an impact on my attitude going into this. Of course, all the stories weren't without issues and problems, but it appeared the majority of those who chose experienced surgeons (like you have) ended up with more than satisfactory results long-term (even those who had initial setbacks). The driving force which provided me a comfortableness in my decision was looking past the surgery and recovery periods (which actually wasn't that bad at all), and envisioning all the great stuff I would be able to do again.

And I'm doing everything I thought I could, and more. I frankly don't even think about my hips anymore.
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

karlos.bell

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 01:20:06 AM »
 :) Yep only wish I had done it sooner "If I only knew". 10 years out of my life is all I can say. Life is too good now to be missing out on stuff. All the best!!!!!!! 8)
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2015 MOM Conserve plus
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding

Granton

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 03:54:02 AM »
My right BHR is 18 years old in the next two weeks. The left one is four years old.

I have never had any problems with either of them - best thing I ever did.

There are always worries beforehand. I considered getting up and going home the night before my first surgery. Glad I didn't.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Mcopt

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 05:00:20 AM »
Hi 4 weeks today and I am having bilatertal BHR with Mr McMinn, it is a daunting prospect and it would be unfair to say I am not worried/anxious but and the big but is that the pain in both hips is getting worse on an almost daily basis and the lack of mobility is limiting nearly everything I can do, no long or short walks with my dogs can't throw my leg over any of my motorcycles or pushbikes and certainly no planning for a ski holiday. I am living on the prospect of given time for recovery I should be able to return to enjoying life again.

Shiggy

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
Mcopt, 

Good that you decided to get the BHRs done. No sense in prolonging the pain and immobility that goes along with it.  Good luck  and keep us posted on your recovery.

Shiggy

LBHR 6/20/2017 Dr Pritchett
RBHR 10/10/2017 Dr Pritchett

https://shiggyblog.wordpress.com/

Granton

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 05:10:22 PM »
McOpt

I remember that bit about motorbikes. Put on centrestand, stand on foot peg in order to get the leg over. Riding again after the ops was so good.

Mr McMinn is a genius. You could not be in better hands.
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

Mcopt

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »
Thank you both for reassurance happy to have Mr McMinn he is a brilliant man.
Tried to keep riding as long as possible was ok for a while with Harley with forward foot controls but too uncomfortable now tried lowering foot rests on my Royal Enfield which helped a bit but couldn't get round a corner without grounding out ! Weather is turning now in Uk so not too good for biking so can accept just looking and polishing until next spring when new hips should be good to go.

gasyz

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 04:17:55 AM »
Let me reassure you my BHR is ace.I battled with myself for 2 years before taking the plunge and getting it done.I got back into motorbike racing after 6 months with no issues.I have just finished a very tough extreme enduro (WOR SUCKERPUNCH)
The only problem is now that I'm back to racing and circuit training etc is that my other hip is giving me pain,but I'll have no fears about having that done.Get it done and get on with fun.
Check out the video of what's achievable with a BHR.Also worth noting is that the winner David Knight MBE had a THR last year
https://vimeo.com/239494306
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:26:24 AM by gasyz »
Rbhr 60/54
Ronan Treacy, 5th September 2015

Mcopt

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 01:23:01 PM »
Thanks gasyz very inspirational . Used to race moto x with AMCA in the 70's bit long in the tooth for that now but a bit of green laneing could be on the cards in the near future might start looking on eBay  for an off roader will take my mind off impending op . All the best to you for your other hip .

gasyz

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 01:53:12 PM »
Let me know if you want guiding around the north Wales green lanes when your ready.Some really nice easy lanes heading over to Barmouth.My 76 year old Dad and his mates come now and again and love it.I'm only up the road from you at Shrewsbury and we go into Wales playing quite a bit.Just waiting for an appointment to see Mr Tracey about my left hip now,but I'll be riding right up to the chop date and hopefully start greenlaning 3 or 4 months after.
Good luck with your op and get back on a bike.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:59:51 PM by gasyz »
Rbhr 60/54

Mcopt

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
Hi gasyz sounds a good plan some lovely coastline up there, brings back memories of some brilliant weekends on rented KTMs doing the green lanes on the south Devon/Cornwall coast. Just out of intrest where did you have your hip done ?

gasyz

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »
Birmingham orthopaedic on the nhs with mr Tracey.
Rbhr 60/54

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM