+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need help troubleshooting HR hip  (Read 2121 times)

Ljpviper

Need help troubleshooting HR hip
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
As from prior post had my hip resurfaced back in April 2016 by Dr. Gross. Had some setbacks, the first 8 months were great minor psoas issues but over all my HR hip felt strong.

Fast forward to know I am having consistent Glute pain and over all weakness in my resurfaced hip. Once I bear weight in the am my hip starts to bother all day. Had recent blood work including cobalt all test are solid, no metal being released in my blood. In my May 2016 X-rays all components looked great.

I have tried PT but seems to work a little at first but then just flairs up my hip. My left hip which some arthritis has minor groin pain, no Glute pain or weakness.

I spoke to Dr. Gross this week the only thing he could offer was another MRI of my lower back and pelvis.

My gut feeling tells me there is something wrong with the Glute medius muscle. I think it's just shut down, thus causing the psoas to work even more. I don't really want to consult with anorexia Doctor as I feel they will offer no real benefit.

I could understand if I had issues consistently after the surgery but I was fine the first 10 months.

I am pretty much out of options anyone have any advice/clues

Thanks,

Larry

MattJersey

Re: Need help troubleshooting HR hip
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
Hope it is nothing serious.

Perhaps trying to gradually rebuild, imagine going literally back to day one exercises etc? Or swimming, no load bearing but still stretching it out?

I find with rowing, non load bearing, it really works the butt, and I think cycling would too, so perhaps a bit of swimming (breastroke with good breastroke kick) for a while, a few weeks or a month regular, not intense but gradually building up? Plenty of rest days too. And maybe a massage of the butt muscles and legs each week or hydrotherapy water jets on your glutes?

Just throwing ideas out really. Hope you find something to relieve it and rebuild.
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

blinky

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:36:58 PM »
I like the idea of starting over. Take some time off, at least 3-7 days, maybe more, and just walk and do those easy early exercises.

In addition, find someone who does bodywork, like rolfing or myofascial massage. See if that helps loosen up any overly tight muscles and lets your glutes work. Look for a different PT if these ideas don't work. (I've seen three different ones during my hip saga, pre and post op. They were all very different. This latest one was the best. She had an eye for imbalances and knew more physiology.)

Was there any one event that precipitated your problems? Overdoing it? Pulling something?

Did anything else hurt or feel weak back when you felt better? Like was your back stiff?

Best of luck.

Ljpviper

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »
Thanks for the responses. I have been resting the last weeks. Doesn't seem to helping. Only thing i did was prepare form hurricane erma early sep

That was over a month. What troubles me is that my HR hip hurts more than my arhtritic hip. You would think the opposite after a year and half of having the HR hope. Definately frustrating, as even Dr. Gross agrees.

I still believe the issue gas to to with glutes. Thanks al

« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 08:54:04 AM by Ljpviper »

MattJersey

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »
Hope you work it out. Maybe you already tried the swimming or back to basics approach.

Blinky's note had me also think: maybe it's a back problem? Did you already explore scans on your back?

blinky

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 03:58:30 PM »
Agreeing with Matt again. Do you have access to a pool? Swimming would be good. Flutter kick would help build abs and glutes and breast kick would help with hip strength and range of motion. You could also walk/run in the pool for some non impact strengthening. Working out in a pool could help keep you sane while you figure this out.

Can you do clamshells? Body weight squats or lunges? Or does that hurt? Can you do ab exercises? Just guessing here, but when I challenged myself in these ways my hips were sore in a good way---I woke up some lazy muscles. I discovered I had some lower ab weaknesses, too, in areas that surprised me.

Best of luck. I am sorry you are hurting.

Ljpviper

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:27:14 AM »
Thanks for the responses.

Yes I can do hip exercises but  I notice my hip flexor are dominant it with the clam. I proper clam usually only engages ur glute medius not your psoas.

I do have access to a pool, although we got a cold front in Miami a chilly 58.

Also I went for a trigger point massage last night, wow talk about painful.

It’s frustrating as I log my hip exercises and general feeling of each hip daily. Last year at this time I was doing way more activity, it like I am going backwards.

I doubt its my back. I can walk with no issues it seems when I stand longer than 10 minutes in the same spot, my glutes fatigue and my psoas and company take over causing them pain.

Dr.Gross is stumped as I am a year and half out. The crappy part here in Miami I cannot find a good PT with any knowledge, they all want to rush you. I have been resting the last 2 weeks I think I am going to start light hip work tonight.

Thanks,

Larry

MattJersey

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 02:38:59 PM »
Maybe you need to think glute exercises not hip. Treat it light you have a muscle tear in there, and work on the glute exercises, gently like recovering from a grade 3 pull, not on the hip? So trying to perhaps restore balance glute vs flexors and quads.

I still think sciatic nerve issues can cause all sorts of odd things, and perhaps something there not allowing your butt to work properly. I guess you've thought of all this stuff though.

Wish it was 58 here!

NYRFan19

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 10:49:38 AM »
Larry-

I believe I am having the same problem that you are , maybe we can troubleshoot this together.

I had a left BHR on 3/31/15 and right BHR 12/4/15.   I am 31 years old now and had hip problems from a young age that went undiagnosed until around age 25.  Most likely spent many years with hip impingement.  As a result, I think my brain has turned off certain muscles that could not function during the impingement and is now overworking others to compensate.

My left hip recovered great and I have no issues what so ever with it, you would not even know that I had an operation.

My right hip recovery was excellent initially...I was progressing much faster then with the left and was back attempting short running at 4-6 months approved by the doctor. 

Then everything kind of dropped off and Ive been struggling since.  My lower right back has been bothering me since June of 2016 and I cannot run for longer then 1-2 minutes before the inner part of my right knee cramps up, and then I suffer through lower back pain for days after attempting this.

Long story short I think I am having the same problem as you.   My glutes, particularly my glute medius is not firing properly, or not firing at all really.  the muscles are very weak and even doing body weight clam shell matrix and simple glute raises are difficult.  The muscles feel like they got a good work out after the exercises, and they respond well to foam rolling, but the results are very short lived---- minutes, hours, or maybe one day if I'm lucky.

I'm thinking of doing the same as has been recommended by others here and starting over as if it is day one trying to rehab that way.

I have been suffering from what feels like a pulled right groin since June of 2016 which I am starting to draw the conclusion that it may be my PSOAS muscle that is causing this due to it being overworked and trying to handle the load that the glutes should be carrying.

I had built up a decent amount of range of motion post op, better then I had had my whole life actually approx 125 degrees hip flexion which is really good for me.

Now I can barely get 90 degrees hip flexion in my right hip, which is about where I was when I had arthritis which is pretty bad and just goes to show how much things have fallen off since. 

hopefully we can push through this and get back to the comfortable pain free life style that we dreamed of hip resurfacing providing us.

Matt
Matt-----LBHR 03/31/2015 Dr. Su (HSS)
             RBHR 12/04/2015 Dr. Su (HSS)

Ljpviper

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 03:22:10 PM »
Matt,

Wow, that sounds what i am going through as well, to the tee. Can you shoot me a PM, maybe we can discuss over the phone. My PM is not working on here for some reason.

Also, thanks Blinky been trying to answer your PM as well.

Regards,

Larry

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM