+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgeon Score Card  (Read 1847 times)

Janmadloeb

Surgeon Score Card
« on: November 03, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
Good afternoon,

I am at the beginning of my hip resurfacing adventure!  I am looking at surgeons' "scores" for hip resurfacing. Propublica only lists the score for THR and does not parse out hip resurfacing. Also, I noticed that the score given only lists a small fraction of the number of surgeries noted for these surgeons on this website.

Is there a single place that lists surgeons' success rates for hip resurfacing specifically and what variables go into determining the score?

catfriend

Re: Surgeon Score Card
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:10:10 PM »

"Is there a single place that lists surgeons' success rates for hip resurfacing specifically and what variables go into determining the score?"

No.

Seriously, how could there be? This would require every surgeon reporting every surgery to some master database, not to mention the issues of determining success in the first place.

That db you mentioned is a case in point. It is based on insurance data (Medicare, so data specifically on a subset of patients that are elderly and/or disabled) regarding rates of complications. It tells you nothing about eventual patient outcomes. IMO it's utterly worthless for judging the quality of a surgeon.

Hip resurfacing, as opposed to THR, is such a subspecialty that only a relative few surgeons perform it. Several doctors publish studies of their own patients that you can find online, but nothing for everybody.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Surgeon Score Card
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:01:39 AM »
Hi
There is no specific list showing the retention rates of hip resurfacing surgeons.  There are, however, individual articles from surgeons about their results and whether they still continue to do women and small men. 

http://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing-for-women-and-small-men/

I have a list of surgeons that have done more than 1000 hip resurfacings.  The top, experienced surgeons are very successful and that is greatly based on doing many, many hip resurfacings.  It is a difficult surgery, much more than a THR, so a surgeon needs to do them weekly.  They need to specialize in HR.  It is like an athlete or great musician - they constantly practice or start to lose their edge.  Most people find these top surgeons to have great outcomes.

http://surfacehippy.info/surgeons-with-1000-hip-resurfacings/

I think you will get posts from many HR patients that have had great outcomes. 

Here is the 20 year anniversary video about the success of the BHR

http://surfacehippy.info/birmingham-hip-resurfacing-20-year-video/

Most people have to travel to get a Hip Resurfacing.  I think it is good that there are a group of very experienced surgeons that have done thousands of hip resurfacings.  Their good outcomes are the reason they continue to do hip resurfacing.

Good Luck

Pat
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:04:05 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz