+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: range of motion, 6 months, specifically straddle position  (Read 2078 times)

lizard

range of motion, 6 months, specifically straddle position
« on: November 15, 2017, 05:14:58 PM »
Couple questions for those more experienced.  I'm at 6 months, normal stuff doesn't hurt. But I used to be super flexible (a benefit of my abnormal acetabular shape), so I used to be able to sit on the floor in a straddle with my legs out really wide.  Now if I try to go very far at all out with my left new hip, I have sharp lateral pain.  That hasn't changed in months and months.  I started thinking, maybe this is the new normal because I have a new acetabulum which is oriented at a less steep angle.  Any experience with this?  I'm not tight in the groin, the sharp pain is antero-lateral, deep.  If I do end up with this restricted range of motion, will it always hurt so sharply?   I'd like to be able to do yoga and a cartwheel!  I still have some mild clunky feelings with some normal things, but no pain, so I decided not to be concerned about that.

Thanks!

vonhouser

Re: range of motion, 6 months, specifically straddle position
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 10:23:03 AM »
How is it compared to your non-operated hip? Are they the same?
49 yo Female
Wright Conserve+ with Koen de Smet
Scheduled December 7th, 2016

Quig

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
In my opinion your range of motion and pain level will both continue to improve for some time to come.
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

blinky

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 12:51:52 PM »
I think you will improve, but not achieve previous levels of flexibility.

Look up posts by Juno. She got lots of flexibility back. She might describe how she did it.

I was still pretty stiff at six months. I could sit cross legged, but not for very long. I could touch my toes with straight legs, but not for a sustained period. Both of those are easier now, two years out. I can sit cross legged comfortably for at least twenty minutes at a time (just did it, waiting, sitting on the floor), can jump and kick to waist high in a dance like move. DK if I can kick over my head while standing on one leg. I can NOT sit with my legs as far apart as I could preop, but like you, I had a deformed hip socket that made crazy flexibility possible. With a more normal hip joint I expect to have more normal range of motion. I admit I haven't worked on flexibility, though.

lizard

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »

How is it compared to your non-operated hip? Are they the same?
-- No, vastly different.  Not a big deal in day to day life, But I'd be afraid to try a kickboxing class or a dance class that had kicking.  I have seen some improvement, but minimal.  But I'm not known for my patience.
I've read Juno's post and have pretty good flexibility forward-backward direction, like a runner's lunge, just no straddle ability.  Not only is it so dissimilar to my nonoperative hip, but also, it just doesn't seem like a normal range of motion.   Is there anyway for me to send a message to Juno to ask her -- she seems much like me in age and some activities  -- or do I just have to hope she reads this and chimes in?
Does anyone else still have a fair amount of clunking?  I just started running, and I haven't noticed it with this.

ErikG

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 11:29:23 PM »
Lizard, compared to me you're doing great. At six months my rom was extremely limited. Now 16 months after second hip resurfaced I'm finally making some decent progress. A good friend had his hip resurfaced and is a professional ballet dancer. It's taken him about 2.5 years to get to a point where he's satisfied but still not as flexible as when his hip was healthy. Just keep at it and be patient.
Thomas Gross left hip 4/16 right hip 8/16.

ErikG

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 11:36:51 PM »
And while my left resurfaced hip never had any clunking my right one has for 16 months now but finally subsiding significantly. From what others say it just takes time.
Thomas Gross left hip 4/16 right hip 8/16.

lizard

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 02:15:02 PM »
I keep hoping time will heal, but it doesn't seem to change at all.  I afraid to "work at it" bcs I'm afraid I will do damage.  I was an athlete before.  I am pretty young, 48, and am scared and getting depressed.  It doesn't hurt like stretching, it hurts like sharp pain where the tissues are compressed.  Does anyone know anything about abutment?  I haven't googled that, thought I'd ask if anyone knows anything.  I mean after all, my new cup is at a totally different angle/position than my native, so maybe it's in the way now?

Liz

surratt

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
nice to hear these longer term situations as far as flexibility and improvement, only being 4 weeks out I need to keep that in mind.  Although I cant relate to you and Blinkys situation bc i has femoracetabular impingement so my flexibility was bad from birth. When I finally looked at the x-rays i understood why i had so many problems with kicking to the head in my kickboxing no matter how much i stretched.

Lol Im more flexible at 4 weeks post op than I have been in years, i was unable to bend my knee much past 90 on the bad side and even low kicks to the legs werent a possibility anymore so Im happy as a clam so far.
Bilateral Hip resurface Dr. Gross
12/13/17
12/15/17

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat