+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: So - can women have hip resurfacing or not?  (Read 2021 times)

claudia

So - can women have hip resurfacing or not?
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:14:50 PM »
hello,
Three years ago I was scheduled to have hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross however, I ended up getting a blood-clot (from unrelated minor surgery), and never got around to rescheduling.  I am now at a point where I must get something done and am revisiting the hip resurfacing.  I'm 61, in good health and want to get back to my tennis playing days.  However, I've read where they (Surgeons) no longer do Birmingham hip replacements on women and just wondering if Dr Gross is the only Doctor in the southeast that does hip resurfacing on women?  Also, is it only small women?  I am 5 ' 10 '' about 159.  No issues going to Dr. Gross but I fell in a hole on our property this week and it has worsened the whole situation.  I need to see someone sooner than a few months down the road.  Thanks! 
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

Paprika

Re: So - can women have hip resurfacing or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »
Claudia, I am also 61 and had my left hip resurfaced by Dr. Pritchett in April 2017.  I'm so happy to have done so.
It is more difficult for women in our age group to have the procedure.  The metal-on-metal devices can shed metal ions, particularly in the smaller sizes, triggering metal allergies (women are more prone) and possible removal of the device.  In addition, older women are more likely to have lower bone density, which raises the risk of femoral neck fracture.  Dr. Pritchett uses a device that has a coating over the metal cap and fits into a plastic socket - so there is no metal ion risk.  He requires patients to have a bone density test prior to accepting them for the procedure in order to make sure that they are not at increased risk for femoral neck fracture.  He's on the West coast, but well worth the trip - if you decide to go this route.  Best of luck!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 10:25:02 PM »
Hi Claudia

Dr. Gross is an excellent choice and is the only surgeon doing women in that area.  Dr. Pritchett still does women, but he is in WA.  Dr. Su was still doing women with the BHR, but he is in NY.  Of course, there are still the surgeons overseas.

Here is a collection of articles by many of the top surgeons explaining why they still do women, while others are not.

http://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing-for-women-and-small-men/

Good Luck.  Let us know how things work out.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Mcopt

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 05:55:46 AM »
I know Mr McMinn is now using a highly cross linked polyethylene acetabular cup for use with the metal femoral component this I think is targeted at women I don't know if it is available in the states FDA approval etc but it might be worth getting in touch with him also have you investigated SuperPath with ceramic on ceramic thr supposed to give good stability due to less capsular insult and less intrusive surgery may be less chance of blood clots ?

KM

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 12:13:06 AM »
Hi did you did you learn of Dr. McMinn using cross linked polyethylene? Is there a paper he wrote or other info? I am curious because I have hip dysplasia and I am deciding between Dr. Gross who is MoM or Dr. Pritchett who uses the cross linked polyethylene. He is is the only doc using it in the US. Which makes me feel a bit nervous. But there are not to many options for women with dysplasia...

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
Hi  Welcome to Hip Talk

Here is an article about Mr. McMinns Polymotion HR device

http://surfacehippy.info/polymotion-hip-resurfacing-device-by-mr-mcminn-2015/

He also discusses it in the middle of this video

http://surfacehippy.info/update-on-hip-resurfacing-by-mr-mcminn-2016/

If you are interested, I am sure you could email their office and ask more about it.

Unfortunately, there are not many choices for women in the US.  Both Dr. Gross and Dr. Pritchett have excellent outcomes with their devices for women.  Your only other choice is to go overseas.  Of course the overseas surgeons are also excellent and were doing hip resurfacing before doctors in the US.  I went to Dr. De Smet in 2006.  He uses several devices, but mostly the Wright C+ 

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

catfriend

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
I haven't posted in quite a while, but I also am a woman who had/has hip dysplasia. I had my hip resurfaced with Dr. Pritchett nearly two years ago with excellent results. Another woman who had hip dysplasia and bilateteral hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross is a poster named blinky. You might look at some of her posts for her experiences. Both doctors are capable of excellent results resurfacing women's hips. We're proof.

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
Hi Claudia.  I'm a gross hippy, 7 years out.  All I can say is that he is the BEST. It is worth asking him....if he says he can't do it, well....that's that.  But, if he says yes, don't hesitate. The only deal breaker might be bone density, as someone else mentioned.  So, start taking calcium, and re-schedule!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat