+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 10 years after  (Read 5700 times)

joeman68

10 years after
« on: December 04, 2017, 10:20:00 PM »
on 11/20/06' Dr. Brooks Birmingham'd my left hip at 56yrs. old and after5yrs. of OA pain. I walked out on crutches 54hrs. later and was doing everything w. normal agility in about 3 weeks. I continued normal high level activity for 8yrs. until lumbar issues limited walking distance. I subsequently had occasional left hip pain getting out of bed in the morning and started swimming 5hrs./wk. to keep in shape. Since Sept. this year I have re-developed a pre-replacement  'limp' and probable FAI (femeroacetabular impingement) pain. I called about a 10yr. checkup, since they called me for a 5yr. checkup, but I haven't heard back. The pain at the top front of the thigh  is most intense when I try to tie my shoe. Anyone have this problem and treatment options?

ArthriticHip

Re: 10 years after
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »
Hi Joe - I've been watching for someone to respond to your post but haven't seen a response. I'm 45 years old and unfortunately was diagnosed with arthritis about 5 years ago. It's gotten progressively worse. I went from very active in sports like basketball and golf, to being very inactive due to the pain. I'm considering having my left hip resurfaced with Dr Brookes next year. If I was older I may consider a THR but at my age, I hate to have some of the life long restrictions placed on my activities that it sounds like a THR brings with it. It sounds as if you're having some problems, 10 years out from your surgery. Was wondering if you would still recommend this surgery 10 years later? Really appreciate your response.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

packman

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »
Hi arthritic
Not forcefully threadjacking but ask Dr. Brooks for some statistics - think you will find joe even if this is diagnosed as trouble, would be in a very very small percentile. Dr Gross’s web site has some very impressive statistics going well past 10 years.
The default usually after a resurface device issue tends towards THR but recently I have read that this is not always the case
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

joeman68

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 12:42:52 AM »
Greetings, I played sports until 50 until I had rather sudden onset of OA. I started a landscape company at 40 so stayed in good shape until OA forced my BHR. I continued landscaping post surgery and my new left hip outperformed my right which began to hurt progressively (like the left) for 2yrs.,then the pain stopped??!! The OA caused spine degeneration and lumbar issues caused me to retire at 64.
My BHR issues started after I retired. It's possible that my present limp is caused in part by wear as my left leg feels a little shorter than my right. I opted for the BHR for the same reasons as you- 20yrs. or so before another surgery instead of 10 w. THR. I was extremely pleased with the BHR performance and hope the current pain and limited mobility can be remedied without surgery.

MattJersey

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 03:09:55 AM »
I hope your hip is ok, and you get to the bottom of things with a nice easy solution.

One thought crossed my mind and that was your back issues. I'm sure I've read plenty of threads where hip pain was actually referred pain from the back. Perhaps your current pain is associated with your back and not your hip (not much comfort I know).

You mention a leg length issue too, but I have trouble thinking this could be due to wear of the components. Again, your back could easily me causing you to set your posture in a way that causes a limp or gives impression of a leg length issue.

Maybe worth seeing your hip doctor, and keep questions about your back in mind when you see him.

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

joeman68

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »
Yes, spinal stenosis can cause all kinds of problems- in my case, from T12 down to my knees. However, the BHR pain is very site-specific and acts like a strained muscle (sharp pain) during certain movements sitting, standing, or walking. I can't get in to see Dr. Brook's assistant until Feb. and by then who knows what Medicare will cover.

ArthriticHip

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 06:21:41 PM »
Joe - Thanks for your response. I hope you get things squared away with your back pain. Best of luck.
Left BHR with Dr Peter Brooks - 2/26/18

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »
Hi

I think you should try and get an appointment with Dr. Brooks and discuss your problems.  I also agree that a short leg has made you walk unbalanced and that certainly can cause pain. 

I think you might want to get some more input whether is it your hip or back.  Sometimes very difficult to sort it out.  It might also be your other hip.

Try to get input from several doctors and also Dr. Brooks if possible.

You can get some updated x-rays and send them to several other HR surgeons to see what they have to say.  Many do free email consultations.  It is never easy, but really try to get some input before you decide it might be the resurfaced hip. Have you had a metal ion blood test?  That is something Dr. Brooks can do for you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

fenceman

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
Important to have your chromium and cobalt levels checked.  That will let them know if the device is wearing improperly.  Also they can do a special MRI (I think it is a MAR) at the main campus of Cleveland Clinic to see what is going on in the hip and surrounding bone. 

You will have to see Phil and have the tests done before you see Dr. Brooks.

Sometimes the lower back degenerates and tilts the pelvis causing the device to become out of alignment.   
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

joeman68

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 07:46:16 PM »
  Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions. I am happy to report that the sharp pain at the top of my thigh has gradually lessened. It may well have  been a muscle/ligament issue since I  can't seem to stop exerting myself beyond age appropriate limits- which probably would be more problematic with a THR. The limp is also improving (heel lift also helped) but still 'wobbly' in the BHR area. I'm hoping medicare will cover the metal ion test and MRI(s), if necessary, at my Feb. appointment since I no longer have 'Cadillac' insurance. I can happily live with the minor 'waking' pain and occasional brief discomfort I had before this incident if all goes well at my visit.  Joe

fenceman

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 02:45:18 PM »
Joe, any results from your metals tests?
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

joeman68

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »
My Feb. x-ray looked ok but my left hip was a little higher than my right. No diagnosis for my pain. Phil said high metal ion incidents are 1 in 3000. 3000 also being the number of BHRs' Dr. Brooks has done. It is so difficult to get accurate information from anyone on actual out of pocket costs and every charge that shows up on a bill, that I haven't had the metal ion tests done yet. Although I still think my injury (still there though almost pain free) is related to my hip, possibly too much soft tissue pressure against it from over-extension, I would have another BHR in a minute!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat