+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Welcome Surface Hippy Bikers!  (Read 31474 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Welcome Surface Hippy Bikers!
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:32:34 PM »
Here is a place to tell other possible Hip Resurfacing Patients how well you are doing, how far you are riding and how soon your are back to riding after hip resurfacing surgery.
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
Re: Welcome Surface Hippy Bikers!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »
Yesterday I went for my third ride since surgery on May 8th.  I spent 5 hours covering 200 miles in the Eastern Sierra of California.  It was a beautiful day and my hip felt fine.  I feel fine today also.  It's still a little challenging getting on the bike, and I'm not ready for dirt riding yet but all in all I'm really pleased to be back in the saddle again!

takilasunrise

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 04:15:06 PM »
That's great!  I bet the scenery on your ride was beautiful! Yep, getting on and off the bike (as a passenger) was not and probably still is not the most graceful looking, but I can do it!  And to be able to ride pain free is amazing.  The other day, I had to hop off rather quickly (shhh, don't tell my husband)....he turned the bike just a little too sharp leaving our driveway and it started to fall over, so I had to jump off quickly to help get it back up right, and amazingly, I got right off and helped him before it fell all the way over.  I thought later, I don't even remember HOW I got off, but I did it without thinking about it.  If that had happened prior to my surgery, well, let's just say, I wouldn't have been very helpful.  I had my surgery in January of this year and we went on a good 3,000 mile round trip in May/June! 

Here's to your continued healing and safe riding! 

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
MOTORCYCLES ?????  Them things are dangerous aren't they ? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Glad to see this section in here, Good stuff.
I don't ride in the street, just desert riding and some oldtimer motocross.  I doubt I will be riding for close to a year as I don't want to ride until I am absolutely 100% sure I can take a moderate crash without fear of dislocation or knocking something loose etc. But knowing that I will be back motivates me to get into the best shape of my life 8)    Several oldtimers (40 yrs. & up MX club) I know have new hips and have come back to be quite competitive. One guy is in his 70's, has both hips done, and races twice a month :o  I am the first guy in our club (socalotmx.org) to get a resurfacing and will keep you posted as the info comes in.  Now get off the computer and go put something exiting between your legs.  B.I.L.L.   out.

takilasunrise

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »
Well, I would have to say motocross is definitely a lot tougher on your hips, along with everything else!  It's tough enough on a 20 something, let alone a 40 something!  To be able to get back to motocross after this surgery just shows how far technolgy has come!  I'm sure most people who have had this surgery and can get back to the acitivities they love will classify it as a miracle.  Do you do any of those fancy tricks, like Cliff Hanger, Double Grab, Hart Attack, Nac-Nac or Whip?  Ride safe!

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »
Well, I would have to say motocross is definitely a lot tougher on your hips, along with everything else!  It's tough enough on a 20 something, let alone a 40 something!  To be able to get back to motocross after this surgery just shows how far technolgy has come!  I'm sure most people who have had this surgery and can get back to the acitivities they love will classify it as a miracle.  Do you do any of those fancy tricks, like Cliff Hanger, Double Grab, Hart Attack, Nac-Nac or Whip?  Ride safe!

No no no .....it's more like "Roll a Cross"  The oldtimers club is pretty laid back with more emphasis on comradarie than results.
 "The only doubles I do have cheese"      ;D 

rob webb

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 01:10:42 PM »
Hi all,

Left BHR 11/28/07 Dr. Ure.  I was back on a motocross track in April 08, a little under six months out.  I ended up riding motos and a little trail riding three to five days a week all summer with no issues.  I have even been riding on a supercross track from the middle of the summer on.  I've always said it and I will say it again, I truly believe that moto is way esier on your hips than alpine skiing unless you fall off. 

Rock on,

R. Webb

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 05:04:13 PM »
Hi all,

Left BHR 11/28/07 Dr. Ure.  I was back on a motocross track in April 08, a little under six months out.  I ended up riding motos and a little trail riding three to five days a week all summer with no issues.  I have even been riding on a supercross track from the middle of the summer on.  I've always said it and I will say it again, I truly believe that moto is way esier on your hips than alpine skiing unless you fall off. 

Rock on,

R. Webb

"Unless you fall off"  :D Ha Ha Yeah that pretty much sums it up right there.  It's not the riding, it's those pesky get-offs that take the fun out of it.  Thats awesome you were able to ride at 6 months, I think my goal will be to surf 1st. and then start desert riding next season and start racing with the oldtimers again in 2010.  Where do you live ?
Maybe I'll see you at a track. See ya, Bill

JohnS

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 05:16:20 PM »
I just joined Surface Hippy a couple of days ago.  Suregery, BHR, schedule 11/19 (next Wed.)

Really glad to find some kindred spirits (bikers) here on the site.

My intent was to have as much of the winter as possible to heal up.  I sure hope to be able to put on the miles next spring when riding season starts again.  It sure was frustrating this fall when I couldn't even sit on the bike since the middle of Sept, much less get in some fall rides.  And of course, any day it was over forty degrees, I had to share the road with the lucky stiffs who were still riding.  Frustrating!

JohnS

John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »
Last weekend I did my first single-track trail ride on my XR650L. 

I am just over 6 months post op and went with a friend on some moderated trails, maybe 5 miles total.  There were a couple tricky spots, one I let Kevin take my bike across some abandoned railroad tracks with no room for error, but other than that I rode the rest. 

We spent about 5 hours touring in the Sierra foothills above Placerville, CA. 

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 03:41:55 PM »
Last weekend I did my first single-track trail ride on my XR650L. 

I am just over 6 months post op and went with a friend on some moderated trails, maybe 5 miles total.  There were a couple tricky spots, one I let Kevin take my bike across some abandoned railroad tracks with no room for error, but other than that I rode the rest. 

We spent about 5 hours touring in the Sierra foothills above Placerville, CA. 

How did your hip feel ?   The XR650L sounds plush but heavy. I'm thinking about one of those KTM 300 electric start 2 strokes since its my right hip.   Glad to hear your able to ride at 6 months.  I'm hoping to be ready for next desert season. Does the XR have a button ?  Had a XL500 for awhile, fun to ride but no fun to start ha ha.  I think I want a button on my next bike.... ;D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:58:49 PM by B.I.L.L. »

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »
Gotta say, my hip feels fine.  I've been working hard with my PT and this has had positive results. 

My XR is a big bike, not exactly a trail machine, but I do what I can with it.  It does have a magic button, I'm a right hippy too.  I think kicking a bike over right now would be a challenge. 

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 12:21:28 PM »
So this past weekend I took a trip to Death Valley on the motorcycle.  575 miles in three days, 100 of them on dirt.  Highlights included Titus Canyon, Greenwater Valley and Crankshaft Crossing/Eureka Valley.

I'm a little sore today, but no pain at all.

And today is my 7 month post operation date!!!

JohnS

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:42:18 AM »
Clydascope,

Glad to hear you are getting out on the scooter.

Can you tell me more about your progress toward riding.  I'm in Minnesota and so I won't even have the opportunity to ride for a few months (March if I'm really lucky).  But I am very curious about how long it took you to get in the saddle and what you experienced with respect to comfort / pain / control.

Actually, I'm jealous as he-double-hockey-sticks  8)

JohnS
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 10:44:15 AM by JohnS »
John S RBHR 11/19/2008 Dr.Palmer, Minnesota

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »
Hey John,

I was riding at 3 1/2 months post op, nervous for the first 0.1 miles and then it all fell into place.  My biggest issue has been getting on and off the bike.  No trouble with control, comfort or pain. 

At 6 months post op I started dirt riding, easy, smooth, firm dirt roads.  In the past month I have upped the ante to include single track and some easy 4x4 roads, even threw in a little silt a couple weeks ago. 

This past weekend in Death Valley was a real test, three days in a row of riding.  It was okay, not much to complain about.

I spent a lot of time in physical therapy, we have a top notch facility less than a block from my office that caters to athletes, US Ski Team, Olympic marathoners, etc.  I pushed hard, they pushed me harder.  Well worth the sweat and discomfort.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 02:54:56 PM by Clydascope »

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »
Aloha Gang,

Ok first of all, it was this motorcycle that got me to the hip operation...trails, very single trek, a wet rollercoaster ride, hill climbs and then back down, no room for errors, I turned right when I should of stayed straight.  (Dec Dirt Rider Jimmy Lewis KTM 3 different rides, same bike, my backyard!)

I am stoked to hear you all getting back on the bike, my concerns though are the falls.  We have Hawaiian Ice out here, looks like a perfect trail, perfect tacky, perfect spills-tires just slip out on you if you hit it wrong, clay that looks dry on top, slicker then snot.  I am not going to ride through those for a while even our rollercoaster hills for now, but what are the thoughts on the spills and falls after the hip surgery?  I am way too early to ride, but is this the one sport I should give up.  I am worried that even to stand up with the boots on a slippery hill has chances of falling. 

So to the riders of the dirt bikes, have you taken any spills or falls yet or worst-a wipe out and how did the hip react?

How much PT were you doing and for how long.  At what month or weeks in did you feel like you were at 100% which made you confident to ride again?

What was the last mucsle to come back or give you the most challenge.  Mine is the leg lifts, I do work on it but the percent of strenght is still under 50%, but the rest seem easy, I am at 6 weeks post op tomorrow. 

I also want to kite surf, get some air on some jumps, and ride some waves, but the thought of my foot in a strap and the other coming free scares me...maybe I am only now going to give my body a break from all this Xtreme stuffs.  I don't snowboard here, but can imagine that that would be the same feeling, so snowboarders please advise me on your timing and feelings too.

Mahalo,
Eric

stevel

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »
Eric,

You should avoid high impact activities until 6 months post-op.  I downhill ski and I'm considering nordic skiing (cross country) but the risk of falling hard is too great so I will snowshoe with trekking poles instead.  Some doctors advise waiting 12 months before running or jumping.  I suppose taking a hard fall, "falls" in the same category.  Don't do any Judo for 12 months!
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 07:29:34 PM »
Eric,

My Dr. gave me clearance for light impact at 6 months, no more than 1.5 times body weight.  Otherwise I am good to go back to most of my normal activities, including carrying a 50 pack.  He said jogging would be fine, but hard running would not.  Falling was not on the list yet either.

At 7 1/2 months post op I'm still not 100%, don't know if I will ever be back there.  Still looking for better range of motion and strength.  But I'm also hesitant when it comes to many riding situations, I really don't want to go down or stick a foot in the dirt.  It keeps me focused and looking for the easy line.

Got to admit, I was sore for almost a week after riding three days in a row.

Years ago my skiing mentor advised me not to be scared of the mountains but have great respect for them, to know the dangers involved in your chosen activity and understand that there is no shame is backing off. 

I've applied this advise to many of life's difficulties and it always seems to help.

hawaiieric

• Happy kiter here...
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 09:27:07 PM »
Clydascope,

Excellent advise and knowledge on those thoughts.  I have been practicing the advise about the mountain, riding with those who think the same helps too over the guys who just want to be on top.

To further your information and to put it to use as a guideline, when you say your not feeling the 100%, in what area is not up to your par?  I am working on my muscle that works the leg lifts because its not up to par, today doing variations to PT's as in while its lifted up, I do circles and relax my isometric thigh and try to do sets as much as possible, till fatigue, and yes it hurts because its what my body wants to take easy, but I want to push through it.  I feel that if I fall down, wipe out, or do something stupid, if that muscle is weak, I will dislocate, so that is why I am working on it so hard.  (I asked my PT about athelets and she said they work on it because its their job and 8+ hours a day every day till they can get back to work, well, I want that).

I love the fact that I am doing well at 6 weeks today post op, but the thought of 6 months is my, well- I am impatient.  But I will do what it takes to get back to the place where I can do what I love and I will make sure I don't hurt myself by going too early.  Just loving the feedback on what it is that made you or anyone know when it was time to return to their sports that can simply hurt them if they make a typical unplanned mistake.

Mahalo to anyone who gives me their knowledge/experience/feelings/thoughts...
Eric

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2008, 02:56:53 PM »
Eric,

Once upon a time I was a very active mountaineer.  I would hike 1,000 miles a year after work just to stay in shape.  I worked as a ski patroller in the winters and would spend 50-60 nights a year in the backcountry, climbed hundreds of peaks and played a bit at rock climbing too.  Then there was the mountain biking, which nearly killed me several times.  My latest motorcycle has been a substitute for some of these activities when I was no longer able to do them because of OA.

After surgery I worked hard at PT and got my strength up to the point where my new hip is stronger than the old one.  But the old one is due for resurfacing soon and it got so hard that I was in pain on the old hip while working the new one.  That said I'm better than I was a year ago before surgery but a long ways from being 100%.

One thing that I have been able to do is ride the motorcycle.  It feels great to get out and have a little fun again.  Obviously I'm concerned about crashing, but that's never stopped me in the past.  I guess I'm wired for adventure.  Last December, while cold and suffering from OA in both hips, barely able to get on the motorcycle, I rode the length of Baja, solo.  It was one of the best things I have ever done for myself.

Today a clearing storm left behind a couple feet of new snow.  I am more concerned about falling on the ice than about falling on a dirt road.  And skiing seems even more hazardous than riding at this point.  (I'm hopeful that I'll be back at it after the second surgery.)

At 6 weeks I didn't think I would ever ride again.  At 4 months I never thought I would ride dirt again.  Hang in there, it does get better!

I suppose I could sit on the couch and drink beer all day, but I've always felt life should to be lived to the fullest.  Now, back to planning for my next big adventure!

Chris

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat