+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Andy Murrays Hip Sleeve Operation?  (Read 3978 times)

Steven

Andy Murrays Hip Sleeve Operation?
« on: May 31, 2018, 11:48:10 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone enlighten me on what type of operation Andy Murray had on his troublesome hip?
I am pleased to hear of his good progress & news of returning to some low level tournament play.

I am familier with the advances in Hip Arthroscopy & Hip Resurfacing but I am interested
in the news article which mentions a Hip Sleeve that appears on this site.

Is this a very new type of operation & if so some further information would be of interest.

Thankyou

Steven.

Saf57

Re: Andy Murrays Hip Sleeve Operation?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
I thought that he had resurfacing, which was what was reported in the media and on this site a few months back. One article I saw said he had a resurfacing, but then in briefly describing it stated that a "sleeve" is placed over the hip. I assume that this was just a sloppy description, although there is I believe a doctor in Germany that plans to test a sleeve device which will be implanted over the femoral head:https://www.medica-tradefair.com/cgi-bin/md_medica/lib/pub/tt.cgi/Hip_joint_sleeve_versus_endoprosthesis.html?oid=84518&lang=2&ticket=g_u_e_s_t To my knowledge, that hasn't happened yet, but perhaps someone has further information on the subject.

blinky

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »
I would love to know more about this, too. Anybody got more links? I searched awhile ago and couldn't find the details I wanted.

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 06:32:55 PM »
I suspect some sort of arthroscopic surgery, and not resurfacing. I found this quote in two different places (italics and bold mine):

"
Murray did not explain the details of the condition he has been suffering from, but he did say that O'Donnell had taken a light-touch approach to the surgery.A complete clear-out of the joint would probably have ended his sporting career, so the intention is to muddle through a few more years on the tour and then to have a full hip replacement after he retires."
I looked up his surgeon's website. He specializes in arthroscopy and anterior total replacement, not resurfacing.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 06:33:50 PM by catfriend »

suncag

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 10:58:27 PM »
I am pretty sure it was resurfacing.  My question is which device did he use? BHR? Biomet? H1 device he would be perfect candidate for given his UK residency. He would be great for that clinical study. I will be watching Andy like a hawk this grass season. 

MattJersey

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 01:09:33 PM »
His surgeon doesn't seem to do resurfacing, and I doubt it was THR.

So, one of the arthroscopic procedures I guess.

http://www.johnodonnell.com.au/procedures.php
28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

Steven

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

It looks like it was an Arthroscopic Procedure & not re-surfacing.

I wish Andy Murray well in his rehab.

Regards

Steven.

ricol

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 11:53:34 AM »
I'm pretty certain Andy Murray's surgery was not a resurfacing and rather was an arthroscopic procedure with contouring of the femoral head. As others have mentioned, Dr. John O'Donnell does not appear to do hip resurfacing.

This article is from today, on the eve of Wimbledon:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5905063/Ace-news-Andy-Wimbledon-according-doctor-saved-damaged-hip.html

This article describes an arthroscopic approach and states that the purpose of the surgery was to smooth/round off the femoral head to allow cartilage to "regrow" - which seems to be sloppy reporting, since every orthopedist I've seen has definitively stated that this is not possible (barring stem cell injection which does not have substantiated efficacy - and is not covered by insurance as a result).

Saf57

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 11:01:01 AM »
He pulled out of the tournament. From things I have read previously, his hips are pretty much shot, ie, very little cartilage left. He would probably be better off, assuming he wants to play at a high level again, getting resurfacing now, and coming back next year.

Saf57

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »
He's announced his retirement due to his problematic hip. He's now considering resurfacing:https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/andy-murray-announces-retirement-in-emotional-press-conference_us_5c38984ee4b045f6768b3006

MattJersey

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 02:09:24 AM »
Yes, what a shame for Andy Murray, I guess he is tasting the frustration many on here have experienced.

I noticed on this report https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46841711 that the reporter says maybe he will consider resurfacing, but for quality of life rather than to get back to the top.

Who knows though - I think most of us in this community would say our hips needn't be considered an obstacle to anything! I hope Andy does get back to full fitness soon, and maybe in 18 months he will be partnering his brother in doubles at Wimbledon, if not challenging in the singles! A milestone for hip resurfacing that would be!

28 April 2015, RBHR Mr McMinn

blinky

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »
Wouldn't it!

There have been some athletes who returned to sport after a resurf, but not one in pro tennis...yet. I was hoping for Tiago Splitter to come back to basketball, but he had too many other problems.

Hey, anyone following Bob Bryan, speaking of tennis? He is one of the Bryan brothers, a doubles team that has enjoyed tremendous success.Bob got his hip done by Dr Su and the pair is back in action. They made it to the semis at the Auckland Open just this last week.

Okay, so doubles isn't singles, but wouldn't it be great?!?!

catfriend

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 05:08:05 PM »
It would be completely great if he returned to pro tennis after resurfacing! But.... we don't know what his health status really is. We don't know how damaged this hip is, if his other hip is affected, or if the toll of pro tennis has worn down his body in other ways. But, yeah, if he has resurfacing and decides later that he is up to pro levels again, that would really be something.

petemeads

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 08:23:23 AM »
As of yesterday, Andy Murray has a metal hip - it looks just like mine! The only thing we have in common...
Age 72, LBHR 48mm head 18th Nov 2014 and RTHR 36mm head Zimmer ceramic/ceramic 2nd May 2017 by Mr Christopher Kershaw, Spire hospital, Leicester UK.

blinky

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 08:40:57 AM »
Wow! That was quick.

Wishing him all the best.

suncag

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 10:05:51 AM »
I'm so happy for Andy going forward with resurfacing!  Regardless of whether he returns to the pro tour or not.  I am officially 3 months post op today and already amazed at how it has restored my quality of life.  I'm looking forward to hitting the courts in another 3 months myself.

Regarding doubles vs. singles - I'm a singles player who dabbles in doubles and contrary to popular belief - I find doubles much harder on the joints than singles.  Everything happens twice as fast in doubles requiring you to jolt your body much faster.  Singles has more of a steady rhythm to it.  Yes, you cover more court but it's a smoother journey and less jolting to the joints.  Just my opinion.

Saf57

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 10:40:41 AM »
This is good for Andy Murray and good for resurfacing. Hopefully, he successfully returns to the sport.

Saf57

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat