+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Popping -Clicking in Hip  (Read 2633 times)

john49

Popping -Clicking in Hip
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:57:55 PM »
Hi John,
It's funny that you mentioned the "popping" sounds.  When I arrived in Orlando three days after my surgery I sat in one of those old wheelchairs that you see at the airport and immediately heard/felt a couple of pops when the attendant place my foot onto the foot rest.  At first I thought that I dislocated the hip.  And then I thought that I fractured the femoral head.  I'm wondering if this a similar condition that you experienced.

John

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
Popping -Clicking in Hip
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:04:20 PM »
Sounds like the same thing. It's almost a clicking as much as a popping. I've been told it's normal and it will go away. Mine has.
- Tom

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Popping -Clicking in Hip
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 05:05:23 PM »
Hi John

I ws 61 when I had my hip resurfacing and pretty much out of shape.  I had a lot of what I called clunking.  You could feel it more than hear it.  I had it right after surgery and could mostly feel it when I shifted my weight either standing or even sitting.  Dr. De Smet said it was because my mucles were stretched and out of shape.  He said as my hip tightened up, the clunking would stop. 

It got better as the months went on.  Again, there was no pain, but it is a weird feeling.  I am over 2 years post op and still get a little clunk now and then when I shift my weight when I am sitting.  On the whole, I don't hardly ever feel it now. 

It will improve with time.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:37:39 PM »
I still have the clunking fairly often.  I read somewhere that your fluids are what lubricate the "joint" now since you don't have cartilage there anymore, so the clunking is your metal parts rubbing together (it also has something to do with your stiffness, once it gets lubricated, then the stiffness will go away).  When I hear mine, all I can think of it's just like the ball joints in the front end of your car, which is basically what our new hips are! 

John C

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:24:32 AM »
I had a lot of "clunking" for the first week or so, which had me concerned. They promised that it would go away, and at eight weeks, it is a distant memory. :)
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

dgm

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:01:47 AM »
I didn't have the popping right after surgery - mine started a few months out.  It does not rise to the level of pop, it is more a sensation of slipping or something shifting slightly.  There is no pain but it is a weird feeling (and it goes away immediately)  I have a doctor visit next week so I will ask then but it has never been enough to make me panic and seems fairly random and intermittent.  It seems to happen when I stand or sit in a certain position although I cannot "make" it happen. 

Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat