+-

Author Topic: When to Schedule a Second Re Surfacing  (Read 684 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jimbone

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 207
When to Schedule a Second Re Surfacing
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:06:29 PM »
Hello All-

I had my left hip re surfaced July 16 after 3 1/2 years of increasingly debilitating OA.  When diagnosed in 2015 X rays showed both hip going fast although at that time I never registered any pain in my right hip, just the left.  2 months prior  to surgery I began noticing pain and increasing reduction of ROM in the right hip/leg, this time with a greater indication of orthopedic pain rather than muscle/soft tissue pain I mostly felt in the left.  The left orthopedic pain of the joint itself didn't really manifest as specific bone pain until about a year ago.  The last 3 days before surgery and not permitted any NASAIDS for relief, the pain and symptoms of the right hip were essentially equal to the left that was getting operated.  The first two weeks of recovery I felt very little discomfort in the right un operated hip/leg but by week 3 after being on one crutch and then a cane even the short 1/4-1/2 mile walks I was doing were getting quite unbearable on the right un operated hip.  The left continues to improve, feeling stronger, increasing ROM and outside some muscle/soft tissue pain in the Adductor when put in certain positions is doing very well.  At this point the pain in the right legs is hindering my progress and recovery as well as making life as miserable as before the relief of surgery.  So:  Who has had to make this decision and what factored into it?  I see both a medical and financial benefits to going forward sooner rather than later but I'd like to hear any feedback and experience especially regarding the as yet fully recovered strength of the initially operated hip.  Could you manage?  Find work arounds?  Did your surgeon add any restrictions or provide insight into the timing of your second surgery?  I am wanting to contact the surgeon's office this week to get the ball rolling on a surgery date.  Any suggestions on being prepared are appreciated.  And thanks to all that have commented, encouraged and provided good insights to both my earlier posts as well as the archived experiences you've shared for the rest of us that followed.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 11:07:08 PM by jimbone »

hernanu

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3896
Re: When to Schedule a Second Re Surfacing
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 05:01:30 PM »
Mine was a bit different from yours, but should apply.

I talked to my surgeon before the surgery and scheduled both procedures. The first was in late August, the second in late November.  In my discussion with the surgeon, he felt that since both were essentially bone on bone, there was no plus to waiting any time.

As to doing both at the same time, he didn't do that, so that was out. Three months in between seemed reasonable. His timeline for me had me driving in two to three weeks, on crutches beyond five or six weeks, then just walk and strengthen.

I decided not to wait, despite my work asking me to defer the second by a year. I was heading a critical project for them and they wanted me not to take the five weeks I did.  It was the best decision for me in that the time in between seemed to be enough to fully strengthen the joint and begin on the muscles, and my first leg/hip benefited from the physical therapy from the second.

Financially it was much better, since I paid only about 400 for both procedures; had I waited a year, my medical insurance changed at my work and I would have needed to pay 20 % which would have meant about 20,000.  I think once you know it's the right decision, it's better to move with considered speed.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 05:06:31 PM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

karlos.bell

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 389
Re: When to Schedule a Second Re Surfacing
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 05:10:18 AM »
 Yep get it done.
I had 2 done at once - 1 recovery but long.
Good luck.
Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding with FAI Hyperflexion

jimbone

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 207
Re: When to Schedule a Second Re Surfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
Thank you both for your feedback.  My surgeon doesn't do bilateral surgeries in one procedure and held a 6 week minimum wait time which I see as wise and is allowing me time to regain strength and confidence in my operated hip.  Current out patient PT is helping in that and I am seeing steady gains.  I have a 6 week check up scheduled at the end of the month [which will actually be 7 weeks] and a surgical date set for mid Sept.  Barring any negative opinion from the doctor at any point until then I look forward to being through surgery and another 6 week recovery interim by the end of Oct. just before the seasonal rains and winter weather begins here in the PNW which will still allow me a month or so of decent outside weather to begin recovery with.  After several years of chronic OA pain that has infringed on every aspect of living I am looking forward toward a return to full and pain free function.  Best wishes to you both going forward.

 

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats

Powered by EzPortal