+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Over 6yrs riding on the BHR and she’s still smooth as silk  (Read 2300 times)

WTW15

Over 6yrs riding on the BHR and she’s still smooth as silk
« on: October 14, 2018, 04:55:29 PM »
It’s been a while since I posted but I’ve been too busy riding.  I certainly feel that I am making up for lost time. I got a new bike in 2015, a Husqvarna FE250,  and this year had my suspension professionally set up and internally lowered and got a Rekluse. I am not gonna lie. I was very reluctant to go with this mod as I am so old school but after riding my daughters FE350 with it I was sold.  It is a game changer in those situations where stalling may be the worst thing you can do. I can still clutch whenever and where ever I want, too.

So last year I rode a few local enduros because my daughter was racing the women’s C (novice) class and she won the class overall and finished 5th C overall!  Since I was going with her to the races I figured I would just ride for fun and enjoy the courses without fear of someone coming head on at me.  This year since she had to move up to B class, and Open B at that, and she was more excited and committed to racing, it turned out that we did a lot more races this year and it was a blast.  And by just going out and having fun, no pressure on myself to ‘race’ just ride fast where I wanted and slow when needed, I ended up 4th in my class.  Nothing spectacular but just fun. She is in contention for 3rd Open B, in a class where at any one event there were 20 riders+ (And she’s the only woman). 😀

I had my share of crashes over the past 6 years. Some hard ones on my hippy side. Even had to have rotator cuff repair last year. But nothing has shaken me up about the hip. It’s perfect and I am so happy to have done it when I did!!! 

I will go for my annual check up in a few weeks and will post an update. For now we have a few more rides planned before the end of the year and then maybe even a trip to AZ for some winter riding.  Of course there’s Endurocross 10/20 to watch and the Denver gets Supercross in April and Motocross in June.   You can bet we’ll be spectating at all 3. 
Addicted is an understatement. 

Ride On Mi Amigos.  8)
Successful LBHR 1/19/12 Dr. Cynthia Kelly
Fear causes Hesitation and Hesitation causes your worst Fears to come true

Quig

Re: Over 6yrs riding on the BHR and she’s still smooth as silk
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 09:47:32 PM »
Ride on!!  ;D

Congrats on all your's and your daughter's accomplishments. Such a great story and it sounds like you two are having a great time and riding very, very well! And, I'll concur on the Rekluse! I ride a 2011 KTM 530EXC and put a Recluse on it following my surgeries (thinking it might be helpful during recovery) and I've absolutely LOVED the thing. Like you said, it makes the slow, technical (prone to stall) riding sooooooooooo much better. Talk about money well spent...

Keep up the good work and thanks for the report!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 09:57:22 PM by Quig »
Bilateral Hip Resurfacing by Dr. Thomas Gross
  -Right Hip; April 11, 2016
  -Left Hip; April 13, 2016

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
Denise - Great update.  Glad things have gone so well for you. Keep up the rides.  Thanks again for sharing your update.  It is so nice to share personal stories for the newbies.  I wish you the best.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Gino_Tortellini

• "Keep your tire spinnin!" - Me
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
Hi WTW15,

Great reading your story on the dirt biking! If you ever make it to AZ to ride or watch Endurocross we should meet up. We have similar bikes as I ride a '16 KTM250XCF.
Cheers, Gene
Dr. Gross / Biomet Recap Uncemented / Bi Lat / Dec 3 & 5, 2012 / @48 1/2 yrs due Cam FAI

arx4

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 01:20:38 PM »
Great to hear stories like this!  I'm a 55 year old woods rider, ride a KTM 350, and have been dealing with hip OA for about 7 years now.  It's getting time to do something about it and am in the process of choosing a doctor for resurfacing. I have no plans to give up riding, so hearing from riders who have had this done and got back on the bike is huge.
Two questions:
1. Can you get your leg over the seat with no problem?  I'm 5'8" and it's always been a bit of a task to get on and off these tall bikes, but now it has become impossible without finding a little rock or something to stand on to get a lift. Hoping to get enough mobility back after surgery to get on and off without drama (I've had my suspension lowered 20mm and installed a low seat already).
2. How is your leg strength with the new hip?  I can definitely tell that my "bad" side has lost some strength over time from favoring the hip.  Hoping that will come back with PT and more normal use.

P.S.  I'm from New England and I and all my  riding buddies run Rekluse auto clutches. Great product, don't notice it's there until you need it, then it is like cheating!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 05:26:17 AM

Re: start running by spartykus
May 02, 2024, 04:08:53 AM

Re: start running by BilateralRecerf
May 02, 2024, 02:27:12 AM

Re: when did your pain/discomfort completely go away by demens13
April 29, 2024, 12:12:52 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear