+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tony's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross 2018  (Read 1296 times)

Asalisbu

Tony's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross 2018
« on: October 29, 2018, 07:01:14 PM »
Hello all,

Just checking in.  Got my first him resurfaced today wit Dr Gross.  Second one getting done in two days.

The morning started very rough and I almost walked out on the whole thing.  Nothing to do with Dr Gross or his staff but because of the hospital administration staff. 

I walked in at 0730 for a 1000 surgery.   When doing the routine checking in they tried to present me with a bill for almost 8k dollars (4 k per surgery)I called my insurance and it was way wrong and it until took to 915 to straighten  it out and they almost cancelled for my refusal to pay that.   Finally they got it straight and on the same page with what I will owe (under 1K).  My advice is to check with them and check with them again (we went over this previously) so you don’t have to deal with a major stress an hour before surgery.  Hospital did apologize profusely but my blood pressure was sky high walking in from the massive debate I was having when checking in. 

As far as surgery.  Everyone has been spot on.  All the staff and Gross has been remarkable.  Nerve block is just about worn off but so far pain is manageable.  It’s just having a mostly dead leg and slowly figuring out how to maneuver even the slightest adjustments with it. 

PT came in and was surprised I could swing my leg almost completely under my own power out of the bed.   I sat and stood but they didn’t want me doing to much since I was still a little numb from spinal.  While swinging the leg out happened, swinging the leg with help back into the bed was whole different story.  That created a little popping sensation and hurt enough that I didn’t want to do it again but again laying here is not as miserable as I thought (so far).  I can’t imagine a world right now that involves me moving on the crutches but absolutely know it will all come with time so not stressed. 

The other piece of advice I have is make sure who ever helps you doesn’t snore.   My father is with me and he literally is my hero, but holy crap that guys snores loud.  Barley slept the night before the surgery cause of the freight train and even sitting here next me right now  it’s so so loud I can’t even sleep with all the drugs I am on. I am about ready to throw my cathedar bag at him.   Lol.   He is a good man and appreciate him being here other then that. 

Another thing, don’t joke with the nurses about where the fentanyl is stored and asking them how much I could get on the street for every pill they give me.  No matter how funny I think it is, I don’t think they do. 

To bottom line it hurst but not rolling around in agony.  Clearly my biggest issue is boredom, though know from this site it’s the coming days that typically get worse before getting better. 

I will try to keep posting for just writing about this is a cathartic for me as anything.  Plus this site has been very aimportant source of info for me so least I can do is offer is my experiences back FWIW. 

Thanks

Tony

SW27

Re: First hip down today w/ Gross
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »
 Good to hear …. I'm following ur footsteps in 2 months time for the first one and then not sure yet for the second side but it will be done eventually. Probablly sooner then I'm thinking. Keep up the good work!! rest
right side Bio-Met Gross 1/4/19
  left side Bio-Met Gross 3/4/19

avilax777

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 12:27:51 AM »
i like your sense of humor...keep it up and it will do you good on your way to recovery.    I am about 10 days from surgery with dr pritchett. 

Asalisbu

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 05:25:03 AM »
Quick update:

First thing I am surprised just laying here how little pain I am in considering what just happened.  The spinal is completely gone and I have only taken had two helpings of pain killers at the 12 hour marks.  Haven’t taken an oxy yet.  Not that I am to proud too, I just haven’t needed them yet. 

Again that’s just laying here and I have only gotten up the one time.   I can see things changing with some movement but baseline pain just feels really really sore and just locked up as if there is a brick in there instead of a hip. 

Sleep is a commodity the first night.  Staff is coming in all the time at all hours to poke, prod and examine. Hell its five AM and I was out cold.   They just scared the hell out of me, barging in here like they were the police raiding a crack house flipping on the lights.  Plus my Pops is still snoring like he is getting paid to do it.  I just asked the nurse if there was some sleep study I could enroll him at this hospital this week just to get the loveable scamp out here on nights (good man, refuses to leave my side).   

I am also amazed so far with zero nausea and I have an appetite.  My head feels really clear, but judging from all my typos maybe not as clear as I think.  Let’s see what the second one does to me.   

Most of are really active people to be needing this early so if anything right now I am fighting the boredom and inactivity.

So for now I am going to figure out how to barricade my door from the hospital staff (they are very professional staff) and exactly how I am going to shove a sock in my dads gullet,   

Good luck Avilax and SW on your upcoming surgeries.  I decided on both just to get it over with.  I have one that is worst then to other but wasn’t going to wait.   Plus it will allow to rehab and get back in shape  with minimal muscle Imbalances. I will start with zero with both and work my way up with them together.   

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 08:51:47 AM »
Congratulations of the new hip.  Sounds like you are doing great in spite of it all!  You will soon be home and out of the hectic hospital.

I wish you the best and look forward to your updates.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Asalisbu

Re: Tony's Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross 2018
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »
Thanks Pat. 

Day 2 Update:

They had me up twice today walking down the hall with a walker.   I found out Dr. Gross did four other hip resurfacing yesterday as well.   I ran into a fellow resurfacing patient in the hallway, practicing his new walk as well.  I challenged him to a walker race which was quickly shutdown by nurses. Good thing two because he was moving better then me.   

I continue to be amazed at how little pain I am in.   When resting in bed I feel almost no pain.   When moving with the walker I feel like I have the worst groin pull ever up front and a major Charlie horse where the incision is.   None of it pleasant but nothing major considering what just happened. 

The biggest issue is just simply the leg doesn’t work very well and does get tired very quickly. Amazingly though I can stand up straight with my full weight on the implant with no pain.

I am nervous for how I am going to maneuver after getting the second one done tomorrow as getting around is definitely going to be awkward. 

Other then that just dealing with the significant down time.  I actually found myself watching Soap Operas today, and I am not embarrassed to say I am now probably hooked on what is going to happen to poor Jack Abott from the Young and the restless. 

Asalisbu

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 11:59:21 AM »
Two week update on bilateral:

Well technically it’s only 13 days for Steve Austin aka my metal on metal  right hip and 15 days for Ozzy Osbourne aka my metal on metal left hip.  Yes that’s a bionic man and a heavy metal icon reference that I have named my new metal hips after, I am bored out of my mind and need to entertain myself.   

I have been off all prescription painkillers since day five and am only taking two Tylenol’s before bed. I am happy to say I never had any real sustained pain.   I will get jolts that quickly fade when I move certain ways but mostly just achy and uncomfortable which is manageable.   

At day 7 for Steve I started my walking program on the two crutches. I started milling around the house every hour or two for a few days.   Bedroom to kitchen to dining room, living etc. making several laps of that before calling it.  I think at day 10 for Steve I started outside and have been doing that 3x a day.   Currently at about a quarter mile each trip.   It’s not pretty but it’s not agony.   Some trips my gait is smoother, others not so much.  Not sure if I am over doing it.  It gets better on one walk  then the another seems a little tougher, sort of an ebb and flow.   I think gains come small but they come.  I know when it’s time to stop as I get sore and my gait kinda of goes back to my old john wayne walk.   

One of the best is things is also around day 10 My head finally got really clear and my energy has gotten way better and continues to improve.  Used to be out of breath just talking too much but now after my big “walks” I don’t feel the need to lay down ASAP before I fall down.  Can even just stand in place barely using my crutches for a chunk of time without dying.  I think the getting up and moving helped clear my head of medicines and started getting everything firing again.   

I already notice body changes.   My wife already asked where my backside went.   I had to look in the mirror and I noticed how upright  and aligned I was.   My weight was firm through my heels with my knees under my hips and my hips under my shoulders. I guess due to my compensation for having garbage hips, my posterior would flare out behind me and I would sort of lean forward at the upper body.  I am already 6’5” but wife says I look taller. 

I also notice my knee cap alignment in the Steve hip appears to be better.   They were both in bad shape but my Steve hip was definitely the more wonky of the two legs.   It kinda flared out and my foot was turned out.  I would have difficulty rolling through that foot when walking pushing into the ball of my foot.  Now I push more evenly (most of the time) and straight through the foot causing the firing of my glute and glute medius to push my leg forward, instead of the turned out push off I would get. Also before surgery when I would do a leg extension I would feel a little rubbing on my knee cap.   I would force a little more hip rotation to line it up so it didn’t do that.  Now even in my weak state when I do the little extensions I am cleared for I feel the hip rotate naturally to keep knee cap in the groove and zero rubbing. 

Don’t get me wrong it’s not all rosy.   Now that I am firing the Steve glute cleaner it gets seriously pissy.   I can’t remember last time  I used it right and its still a little wonky just nothing like it was.  It’s gets knotted up and tired out easily.   I usually rub my knuckle into it and then it loosens up.   Also my lower back gets crabby really easy right now.   When my hips and glutes tire out I notice I am using my back more to hold my self up.   That’s usually a sign to go rest.  I know it will get better as everything gets strength back but for now a stiff breeze can knock me down.

I am assuming that it’s normal but  my Ozzy hip appears to moving along faster then my second Steve hip.   It’s only two days apart but Steve is seriously a much bigger baby then Ozzy.   Before surgery I seriously favored the Steve side which is it was likely more wonky and turned out, but it was also the stronger side since I favored it.   I assumed Steve would respond faster being stronger but it appears Ozzy who went first is disproportionally doing better.    I am assuming it will even out in time.   

I also realize I am probably going to be a routine healer and not one of the miracle recoverybodies on here, despite being a two sport college athlete and big workout person my whole life.   I hate you miracle recoveries, there I said it, feel better with that off my chest, lol.   I am Ok with that but this really is going to take some time to recover.    I am very new but I really miss walking and my complete independence.   I’m dealing with it as the positives that I already see I know this Is working and I just need to be patient and let it happen.  It’s the one disadvantage to having a clear head, the boredom sets in and the wrestling with your thoughts ensues.

suncag

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 06:43:40 PM »
Hi Tony,

Looks like you and I probably were in the hospital together on the same day with Dr. Gross!  Your recovery sounds similar to mine.  I think we're both tracking well!

I love Ozzy too!  Keep the Faith!
Chris

Asalisbu

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 06:43:07 AM »
SunCag,

Small world.  I know Dr. Gross did four on my Monday surgery and maybe five on the Weds surgery.  I know I specifically asked to be the second surgery on both days so Dr. Gross would be a little warmed up but not yet exhausted by the time he got to me I wanted him sharp.  I asked not to be the first or the last surgery but begged not to be the first surgery after lunch, nobody wants to be that guy.   I don’t think Lee took the request under advisement though she said she appreciated the laugh.   The nurse said the whole floor was Almost all Dr Gross patients, but oddly during my five days in the hospital I didn’t see another patient plodding down the hallway on a walker, not once. 

Read your story and it sounds like you are doing great!!   That’s incredible your on a cane already.   I will be happy to get down to one crutch let alone one cane.  I can stand fairly well without any crutch support right now but I still feel like a baby giraffe when I walk so  I’m taking my time.  Best of luck as you keep recovering so you can get back out there and get some of those tennis matches back.   

suncag

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2018, 03:59:16 PM »
Hi Tony,

I was actually 1st that Monday and funny I had the same thoughts?  What if he's not warmed up yet.  Lol.  I am doing pretty good and totally off cane for almost a week now.  But I did make the mistake of joining my wife for a little Christmas shopping yesterday and overdid the walking a little bit.  Came home pretty tired but not too sore.  I am mostly alert and firing on all cylinders but I do have an occasional day where I feel really tired.  Today is like that.   I think the medicines are a little bit the cause.  The Meloxicam tends to get my blood pressure up and stresses me out.  So I am trying to compensate by drinking less coffee.

Anyway glad you're doing well too and I am counting down the days to get to the 6 week mark.   I start 4th week of post-op tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM