+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: metal ions testing and 8 year post op xrays.  (Read 910 times)

danebuxbaum

metal ions testing and 8 year post op xrays.
« on: November 07, 2018, 01:09:16 PM »
Is it usual and recommended to have a followup xray and metal ion testing for an 8 year old 100% successful BHR which presents with zero problems? My right knee (same side) is acting up and the surgeon I saw today didn't even want to talk to me about surgery without first doing an xray of my hip. I thought that odd given that my BHR with Dr. Brooks is the best thing I ever did for myself medically. The outcome has been "out of sight / out of mind."

I refused the xray and it was all I could do to even get the surgeon to discuss his reasoning. He was not happy with my questioning and I felt his attitude was bordering on hostile. He is one of the best in town (Little Rock Arkansas). Was I wrong to refuse the xray? I have to watch my dollars and I wasn't there for my hip.

catfriend

Re: metal ions testing and 8 year post op xrays.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:36:00 PM »
I can't answer your first question as I am not in your situation. But... I don't care how well regarded this doctor is, you need to find another one. If he was not happy with your questions, and was borderline hostile, he is the wrong doctor for you. When things start this badly, there will never be any trust. Move on.

Maybe this ortho just has a negative attitude towards resurfacing. Who knows?

blinky

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 08:08:37 AM »
My reaction would also be to get another opinion. See if a second doctor listens to your concerns better. You should be treated with respect.

Did the first doc think you had hip issues that were affecting the knee? Did he explain why he was so focused on the hip? I'd step back, too, and think if there could be any basis to what he said; could it be a hip issue causing a knee issue? Most likely, he just doesn't know much about resurfacing.

Does Dr Brooks do knees? Would it be worth a consult with him?

I pm'ed you about LR doctors.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:21:30 AM by blinky »

Saddlepal3

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
I agree with the previous posts. That being said, I had my metal ions tested after 12 years with a successful resurfacing. I had no pain or other symptoms. Like you, it was “out of sight/ out of mind,” but I had the testing done to appease our son-in-law who is a young ortho surgeon. He was taught that routine blood testing is valuable. To my surprise, my blood ions were elevated and a follow up MARS MRI showed fluid build up. I ended up having revision surgery in September with Dr. Pritchett. He replaced the cup with a poly lined cup. Smooth recovery. His opinion was that I would have started having significant symptoms and there might have been tissue damage by then. His recommendations were seconded by several other top resurfacing surgeons after they saw the MRI.

Your doctor may in fact have a point about the tests, although his bedside manner sounds bad.

ahausheer

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 08:07:38 PM »
Doing an x ray of the hip might not be a bad idea. 

My first 15 years of pain was felt solely in the knee but it was due to my hip.  I have spoken with 6 surgeons and they all said they frequently see patients that report isolated (non radiating) pain in the knee that is actually purely a hip issue.  He probably was thinking the same.

The brain literally misinterprets the nerve impulse and you think the problem is in the knee....sometimes.

Anyway, if you are having knee pain, it could actually be the hip. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear