+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Day 10 - second BHR  (Read 773 times)

Gretsch6

Day 10 - second BHR
« on: November 22, 2018, 10:28:49 AM »
Hi All ... I am day ten post op of my second BHR.  I had my right side done in Feb of 17. I have been happy with the results of my first procedure... only complaint is I have some hip flexor and psoas issues with intense knee raise activities (knee raise ab work, kipping pull-ups, etc). Joint is strong and mobile! 

Second hip wasn’t as bad pre surgery but decided to do it ... no use for waiting.  Having a new BHR with a bad opposite hip is not desirable ... hard to stretch new hip with the other one being bad. It’s like having a new Mercedes with two bald rear tires!

The second operation was basically the same ... same hostipal and staff... all wonderful!   The recovery iisabout the same. Made the same mistake by staying on opioid pain killers for perhaps one too many days. Same with the laxatives. Those two combined are no fun!!!  Was very fatigued as body burns a lot of energy during healing. For anyone new out there ... go to Tylenol for pain!   One thing that is different and harder this time is my groin. I have huge bruise and it sore to touch. Perhaps my groin was pulled or severely strained when the staff maneuvered the leg to test the joint while i was under ?  Curious if others had that issue as it wasn’t present with my first one. Just been icing a lot and walking on treadmill ( 50 pct weight bearing). Staples come out at two week mark. Each day is better. Glad the worst part is behind me!  Thanks !!!!!!

jimbone

Re: Day 10 - second BHR
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 12:44:25 PM »
Gretsch-

I had both hips done 2 months apart in 2018- not BHR but Synoval.  Hip flexor/psoaz issues with both to a degree but both have largely resolved themselves at least as far as knee raises/ab work.  Still stuck bringing either knee all the way to my chest as it seems to get stuck by the flexor and just doesn't want to move closer [plus some residual knee swelling and pain in flexion]. Both hips took their time allowing me to do and straight leg raises as well.  Two exercises I found helpful- marching bridges- had to build up slowly and avoided leg lifts while I built strength but it came around within a couple weeks of work, suddenly could do all the leg raises I wanted without hip flexor/psoaz pain.  The other thing was swimming the crawl stroke with fins.  The fins give extra resistance to the flexors especially on the down stroke which has been both relaxing and strengthening at the same time.  The leg raises came back for me about 2 weeks after getting back in the pool.  The second hip presented groin pain much stronger than the first.  I worked on stretching the hamstings as much as I could as early as I could under posterior precautions.  I added gentle adductor stretching as things began to loosen- still a long way to go with all that but seeing improvements.  The swimming is also helping with the groin pain.  I had to do a lot of self massage on both the adductor longus and gracilis muscle using a cross fiber "strumming" kind of technique- it helps.  They do put the leg under stress when they are confirming device positioning during surgery [there's a video of McMinne in surgery doing this and I was really surprised how vigorously he manipulates the leg] plus if there was a lot of stiffness  and/or muscle deterioration prior to surgery I think that contributes to the trauma of surgery as well.  Like someone said to me, "Welcome to the Bilateral Club", sounds like you are doing well and making a good recovery.  Best wishes in continuing that and keep us posted.

curtieman1

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 11:55:38 PM »
Gretch, Good Luck on your recovery. I can say from experience I had different pains with my second hip too. Nothing bad just different things I noticed. I have had no problems after six and four years since surgery with Dr Anseth. Good Luck again. Curt
LBHR Dr. Anseth July 20 2012
RBHR Dr. Scott Anseth July 24 2014

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »
Congratulations on the second hip.  I wish you a speedy recovery.  You will have a great Spring with 2 new hips!

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz