+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bi-lat crutchy question!  (Read 707 times)

Rich jones

Bi-lat crutchy question!
« on: December 16, 2018, 12:58:54 PM »
Firstly just wanted to say how good this site is! Reassuring me on my path to a pain free life and getting back to the sports I love.. i am two weeks in tomorrow after a bi-lat BH installed by the genius Mr Mc Minn.. what a ledge nd! The first seven days were brutal.. I was withdrawing from two years of tramadol. Never felt so poorly. Thought I was loosing it to be honest! The three days I felt tip top, back to my normal self with out any meds and it feels good.. the question I wanted to ask is I’ve been told to stick with the crutches for six weeks, I’m finding I’m not using them much indoors I feel good with out them I wouldn’t venture out side yet incase I slip, is this SAFE to do or am I risking upsetting my new hips? I am walking a a bit like yoda.. and I am worried I might slide into walking with a bad gait..thanks in advance

Asalisbu

Re: Bi-lat crutchy question!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:09:36 PM »
Rich- I am a bilat as well approaching 7 weeks. 
It’s impressive that you aren’t u the crutches I read on hear many that ditch them early.   I did also had mine done with a different heavyweight surgeon.   All these surgeons have different protocols so not sure on yours but I followed the docs instructions and started experimenting inside with one and no crutches at four weeks.  Others I think start doing it earlier but four weeks was definitely what I needed to wait for any way.   

As far as your gait i have been told my doctors office to really mind the gait and any limping.   I still keep the crutch close as when I sit to long I sometimes use it (like walking stick) to help me loosen up from the start up pain.  I know the waddle you describe as it’s the exact one I get, yoda is the perfect description.....damn wish I thought of that. 

So i am obviously no doctor but I was told to not push through a bad limp or waddle and use in walking aid necessary to help “normalize” your gait during walking.   

Personally I am taking the bi-lat as an opportunity to start with good gait and posture habits (getting solid positure is so much easier and natural now).   I am constantly resetting myself in attempts tontighten up my gait which starts slipping when I get tired.   I have decided will have the crutch around a little longer (I could probably ditch it) but I figured since I’m walking like a baby giraffe (yoda is better reference) I will talke the extra time since I am relearning pretty much everything right now and try to have a real solid foundation.  To be honest it’s touching my feet while sitting that’s going to rake forever trying use perfect form.   

Good luck.  Sounds like your doing good. 

Rich jones

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:12:17 AM »
Asalisbu!

Thanks for the reply.. yes sounds like the plan is to get a good solid stride before rushing off the crutches. Have you been swimming yet?

Asalisbu

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 06:21:51 AM »
Yes started in the pool at four with only pulling not using legs at all.   Only just started a light flutter kick.  Felt good but of course weak.   

I started PT phase 2 exercises and gym last week.  All I can  is take it easy.  For some reason I rode the bike with zero resistance, walked a mile, did some upper body gym work, and my two rounds of phase 2 exercises throughout the day.

It felt great and almost normal.  I am hurting today.  Going to take it easy.  Left flexor letting me know who is boss still.  The above was almost a normal presurgery day for me.   So like everyone says on here let your body be your guide.   I’m going to sit on my butt as much as possible today. 

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear