+-

Advertisements

Welcome Back

The Hip Talk Discussion Forum was hacked a few weeks back. It has taken me a long time to fix it. The only backup I could use was way back to April 2020. All members and posts up to that date are available. Anything newer has been lost. I am sorry, but that has been the only way to get things up and running again.

Author Topic: Is my hip resurface coming to an end  (Read 649 times)

Brilliard

Is my hip resurface coming to an end
« on: March 27, 2019, 03:26:21 AM »
IN 2001 I had a Birmingham Hip resurface at Ashstead Hospital in Surrey UK performed by Mr Twyman.It has been more than I ever hoped for, absolutely brilliant. At the time I remember the resurface technique was relatively new and my Insurance Company needed a lot of persuasion to go ahead with resurfacing opposed to a full new hip replacement.I was 61 at the time and now in my 81st year.In the last month or so I have experienced pain in my groin and thigh on the same side (left) as my Birmingham Hip.This is more painful at night.I am wondering if these are signs of wear and the time might be coming when I again need surgery. I will be pleased to hear any comments.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Is my hip resurface coming to an end
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 01:28:26 PM »
Hi Welcome to Hip Talk
Wow - you were a very early recipient of a BHR. I am sorry to hear you are having problems.
I would definitely contact your surgeon and let him figure out what is going on. It may or may not be your BHR.  Many things can cause problems in our hips.  Only your doctor can x-ray your hip and maybe do a metal ion test to figure out what might be happening.
You can also send several of the top surgeons an email with a copy of your recent x-rays to get a free email consultation. Since you are in the UK, you have access to Mr. McMinn and Mr. Treacy. Also Dr. De Smet in Belgium.  I would only use the top experienced surgeons to get some input about the hip resurfacing. I have their emails here:https://surfacehippy.info/doctors-with-1000-hip-resurfacings/
I wish you the very best.Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 04:01:54 PM »
Wow, you were a pioneer and got some good years out of that hip.

I am with Pat, ask your doctor to X-ray your hip and see what is going on. I am not a doctor, but wonder if 1) you are suffering from aseptic loosening or 2) maybe some muscles have gotten weaker over time. The former is a problem with all joint replacements. The bone can over time "let go" of the prosthesis. The device isn't worn out, but the organic piece is. I'd be curious to hear what your doc says about this. I am in my late fifties, doing well with my fake hips, but have wondered what effect aging would have on my HR. We just had a discussion about keeping muscle strength up on this forum. Someone posted about having pain, but confessed he was not as active as he had been and that might be a source of his problem.

John C

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:25:02 PM »
I have a similar thought to Blinky's regarding the bone possibly "letting go". We know that bone grows in response to load and stress. If we stop regular weight bearing, and loading the bone through some sort of stress such as weight lifting or other activities, the bone will decrease its growth and regeneration rate. This is true for everyone, but probably more important for people with implants that rely on bone ingrowth. I remember reading an article awhile back, I think possibly by Dr Mont, one of the earlier resurfacing surgeons, but I am not sure. I do remember the article warning that it will be very important for resurfacing patients to remain active in bone loading as they age, in order to keep the femoral head and neck strong. I don't know if this would be relevant to Brillard, the original poster, but it might be worth bringing up during consultations with surgeons. If decreasing bone density as we age is part of the problem, then increasing weight loading may be a big part of the solution.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Brilliard

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 01:59:29 PM »
Thank you so much for your comments. The pain in my groin and front thigh is mainly when in bed during the night so I am wondering if the "letting go" theory would be something which caused pain continually. During the day I generally feel fine and pain free and carry on as normal. It just seems to be a nigh time and in bed thing.

jimbone

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »
No one has mentioned it but I think it is very generally understood just about all of us are grateful that people like you accepted the risks going forward with a pioneering surgery that led to so much relief for so many.  Your post doesn't mention having a consultation scheduled which I hope you agree is the best first step- get some imaging and opinions-more than one- and evaluate your next steps.  I sort of relate to your "at rest" discomfort.  After my second hip was done, about 2 months after the first, I often found myself in a similar state.  By the time I was walking a mile without aid at about week 6-7 and able to do some light stretching and PT regularly I most often felt considerably better after exercising and often felt discomfort after any period of rest.  Sitting on a tall stool working on the computer for an hour usually meant discomfort getting up and moving around.  If I rested in bed and most days waking up I still had considerable discomfort well into the 3rd-4th month.  I began to think I was going to have to stay active exercising 16 hours a day to avoid pain.  By the end of the 4th month I had begun to gain enough strength and ROM that the resting discomfort started to taper off and now at 6 months/10 days the hips are strong enough and gaining flexibility at a rate where I no longer suffer after rest.  You don't mention any exercise regimen you might be following, which IMO at 81 is likely to begin being a bit more of a challenge but possibly might be a solution.  Hopefully you are able to walk regularly, especially now the weather is improving and might increase your distances some while waiting for a consult and see if you don't find some relief.  Best wishes.

Granton

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 09:03:24 PM »
Hi Brilliard, clearly you need a consultation and x-rays as soon as possible. It may well be something unconnected. I am particularly interested to hear how you get on as my first BHR was implanted in 1999. Like yours, it (and it's much younger brother) have been brilliant.

Yes, it has probably lasted longer than I originally hoped, but now i hope it, and yours, just keeps going!

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 09:04:22 PM by Granton »
David
Rt BHR Nov 1999
Lt BHR Oct 2013
Mr D McMinn

hipnhop

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 01:47:04 AM »
Hippers, I too am fearing the need for a revision.  I continue to feel discomfort in my right hip.  However, my resurfacing gave me several years of continued racing and fun, for which I am extremely grateful. In fact, I am still racing.  I have come to terms that this may not last forever and I will do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. 

Since my second resurfacing I have complete three Ironmans and a whole bunch of other races that I can't begin to count.  Keep hope alive and live your life.  I will be back on to learn the latest as I know Pat keeps us up to date on the best.

HipNHop
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

Rus

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »
My father had his hip replaced by Mr Twyman at a similar time.  Though he doesn't know (or can't remember) if he had BHR and THR!  The airport scanner suggests metal, but I'm not sure that helps for ops at that time.
He's also just entered his 81st year, and had some pain that felt like his hip.  His turned out to be an issue with a nerve in his back, rather than the hip. 
I followed you both into Ashtead hospital last September for my own BHR. 
From a fellow Ashtead "graduate", best of luck with the diagnosis and treatment!

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 07:43:21 PM »
Hippers, I too am fearing the need for a revision.  I continue to feel discomfort in my right hip.  However, my resurfacing gave me several years of continued racing and fun, for which I am extremely grateful. In fact, I am still racing.  I have come to terms that this may not last forever and I will do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. 

Since my second resurfacing I have complete three Ironmans and a whole bunch of other races that I can't begin to count.  Keep hope alive and live your life.  I will be back on to learn the latest as I know Pat keeps us up to date on the best.

HipNHop

Hey hipnhop - sorry to hear you're feeling some pain - have you checked it out with your surgeon?

May be something other than the hips, it's good to make sure so you take the right steps.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

karlos.bell

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 07:55:18 AM »
 :)Hi Brilliard
.Get it checked out even though your 81 sounds like it could be the issue. Mostly the pain is at from a worn joint. My experience even if I was 81 would be the same. If you are an active 81 hopefully you can get it sorted.
like a lot of us I am 53 had mine done both when 50. I really don't know how long they will last but they are giving me a life I never dreamed of. I am living the moment and dreading the time for replacement but that will be life.

Good luck let us know how you are getting on. I hated that pain for over 8 years of my life at night so far
.Cheers K
2019-2020 THR Left & Right COC Revision Zim Continuum cup with Biolox Delta Cer Liner, Biolox Delta Cer Head 40mm 12/14 Taper, CPT Stem Cem.
2019-2020 removal of Hip Resurfacing due to Metal Toxicity Cobalt - Chromium.
2011-2013 FAI hip surgery failure
2007-Injury wakeboarding with FAI Hyperflexion

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 04:53:05 AM »
Sad to hear you might need revision, HipNHop. It was you, Dannwayoflife, and a handful of other old timers who  really inspired me when I was diagnosed with hip OA February 14th 2011. All these years I've looked forward to return to being pain free and running again, maybe even competitively. We are all in this together. Best of luck for OP and all those facing possible early revision.

HipNHop
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 04:54:08 AM by Canadian-Ice »

Recent Posts

Advertisements

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Accordion Player Pat Webmaster/Owner

Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy

Statcounter

View My Stats