+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Left Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross April 19th  (Read 1007 times)

MelL

Left Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross April 19th
« on: April 15, 2019, 05:49:20 PM »
I have been reading all these stories and information for about 9 months, and finally decided that since my surgery is this week, I would tell you about myself.  Your stories have helped me so much.

I was diagnosed with OA in my left hip 8 years ago, and told to stop running, take meds, and come back in 10 years for a THR, as I was 44 and to young for hip replacement.  Honestly, I did not believe it.  I did stop running, and switched to swimming, biking and other lower impact things, and the pain was mostly better for at least 7 years.  However, after hiking the Grand Canyon with our son who was graduating from High School last Spring Break - 2018, the pain returned.  I dealt with it pretty well until last fall when I knew I needed to do something.  I got a new X-Ray that showed bone on bone in my left hip, so things had gotten much worse.  I was definitely pretty down.

We were very thankful to find this site and all the information here.  I was fortunate that my new Ortho doctor here in Texas was favorable about the idea of resurfacing, and pointed me in the right direction as well.  He told me that although what he does is total hip replacement, if he was my age, he would most likely do resurfacing if in my position.  So with all this information, we sent my packet to Dr. Gross.  He called me within a few weeks, and said I would be a candidate for hip resurfacing even though I am a smaller boned female.  That was December of 2018. 

So, finally the date is almost here.  I feel pretty nervous this week (which is really putting it mildly), but so hopeful that soon I will be able to walk without pain.  I hope to eventually be able to hike long distance again, as that is something I love.  And jogging, its been so long, that seems like a distant wish!

Thank you all for your encouragement, even though you didn’t know you were giving it to me!

Melissa

jimbone

Re: Left Hip Resurfacing with Dr. Gross April 19th
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 06:39:53 PM »
Congratulations on your decision and choice of surgeon.  You already know how successfull and experienced Dr. Gross is- there are so many people here who's lives were impacted so well through his skills.  Nervous is just completely natural- it's a big decision.  One thing you'll find is how caring and supportive these surgical teams are and how competent.  The top guys like yours are vastly experienced as are the people they work with.  In the PNW, most people will seek out Dr. Pritchett who did both of my hips in July/Sept. of 2018.  Dr. Pritchett often projects a modest demeanor as when he told me "We should be able to improve the quality of your life". It turned out to be the  understatement of the year- he gave me me my life back and now at just over 7 & 9 months respectively I am completely free of all OA pain [that happens immediately upon waking from surgery], I am walking and hiking hills without discomfort, I hadn't run for years prior to surgery and just this past week I've started introducing some easy jogging on the treadmill, my ROM improves weekly as well as leg/hip/overall strength and I just see things continuing to improve.  It's wonderful you found this site-Thanks Pat- and were able to use the information here to help in your decision.  You'll find it a great place to continue learning about hip resurfacing, recovering and getting back with your life, happy to be free of the pain and restrictions.  Best of luck.

Rn2md

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
Congratulations on the decision to move forward and with your choice of surgeon. Like you, I also had read  many stories here before deciding to have the surgery. I recently had the outpatient resurfacing with Dr. Gross on 3/20 and had also been quite nervous. However, that was lessened as I went to my preop appointment and further at my surgical appointment. Seeing the expert well organized team at work and speaking with everyone, especially Dr. Gross and Lee Webb, really will put you more at ease. I would certainly choose him again.
Recovery has gone well so far and I continue to make forward progress. My evolving story is under Dr. Gross stories category, if interested.

Good luck on the 19th! It’s over very quickly. You’ll see.

MelL

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »
Thank you both For your replies, i appreciate the encouragement so much! Jimbone, its great that you are able to start jogging a bit once again. What a good feeling! Rn2md, I just read through your entire story. It sounds like you are doing great, and I appreciate all your detail in your recovery, that helps me so much. I’m sure I’ll be reading back through both your stories. I’ve been doing a lot of the same gym leg work in hopes of that helping my recovery. I was never a swimmer before, but I’ve worked up to being able to swim a mile several times a week! I hope to be able to work back to that after the scar heals up, it gives me a great feeling of a good workout when I haven’t been able to do other things I enjoy.

Thanks Again!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 09:15:27 AM »
Melissa
I wish you the very best. Thanks for sharing your story so far.  I look forward to reading updates as you return to an active, pain free life again.
Dr. Gross is the best.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

blinky

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 12:23:26 PM »
Yes, best of luck! Dr Gross, Lee Webb, and the rest of the staff are all wonderful. All medical care should be as good as this. I remember how reassuring Lee was. She told us to go out and have a nice dinner the night before surgery and to relax, that everything was going to be fine. I asked her my silly questions, like what would a catheter be like, since I had never had one before and had become irrationally obsessed by it. I had read a lot on this site and Dr Gross's about what to expect, but my husband had not. He was quizzing the doctor about when I could go home and whether I'd run again and was getting the answers I expected. That really built my confidence. I felt so prepared.

I look forward to hearing your story.

rag33

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 05:02:31 AM »
How'd the surgery go ? You won't regret it. I promise you :)
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

MelL

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 01:38:04 PM »
I am a week out from my surgery, and just very thankful to have it behind me, and be on the recovery side of things! No more stressing about if I was making the right decision about timing etc. Dr Gross and all his staff were wonderful, patient and so very organized and knowledgeable, that I knew I was doing the right thing and was in excellent hands. The only difficult part of the actual surgery for me was that the nurse at the hospital could not get my IV started after three painful attempts, someone else came and did it. That got me pretty agitated, for which they offered me some meds, and then being wheeled into surgery is about all I remember. I woke up in recovery, wearing my ice belt, and feeling no pain at all. I was up and walking in the room later that day, still no pain, just a heavy leg feeling. We left the hospital the next day still feeling good, but started to hurt a bit at the hotel. All tolerable, and I guess expected after surgery, the polar ice machine is my new best friend.

I stopped the narcotics after day four, but really think I could use them still at night. I think nights have been hardest for me. My leg and glutes seem to get achy laying in bed, my back begins to hurt at night. I can sleep on my side a bit, but nothing is comfortable for very long. Just from reading posts here, I am hopeful that will get better soon.  I’ve just taken it easy this week, icing as much as I can, and inviting friends over to entertain me while I do that, and doing my simple Rehab exercises.  My husband has been a huge help and very positive when I have hard moments. I’m lookin forward to week two and walking a bit more, and better nights ahead! Also, I got to remove the bandage today, and the four inch scar looks better than I could have hoped for.

Thank you all for the encouragement and the abundance of information, both before surgery and each day after.  This site has been invaluable to me.

Rn2md

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 02:03:31 PM »
It’s great to see that everything has gone well for you so far overall.
Dr. Gross and staff are indeed as excellent as people have claimed.
I’m headed for my 6 week follow up soon and all is still well.

About the nighttime discomfort, sometimes I felt the reclining chair was a great place to rest, nap, and even sleep, because it eliminates the need to pivot when you get in and out of it. That’s difficult early on, as you probably know. Also, it can help you rest in a position where your legs are elevated, which combined with the ice machine, is great for the early swelling and discomfort. Try it. It may help you rest
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:06:53 PM by Rn2md »

MelL

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 04:05:48 PM »
What a difference a week makes! It seems like each day and night gets easier. I just passed two weeks, and am feeling so much better. Suddenly I can rest better at night, role over easier onto my unoperated side without calling my husband to adjust my leg, walk about 1/2 mile at a time with two crutches, get around on one crutch all around the house allowing me to carry things. All those things have made such a big difference. One day at a time. I’m trying not to get over excited and do to much.

I still can’t figure out how to put on and tie my shoes! I can get my sock on with my own method of reaching my foot behind my back. Dr Gross says I should be able to do it while letting my knee fall to the side?!? Can’t seem to figure that out yet. Just more time maybe!

I’m really doing well. I still use the ice machine after walking or if I feel swollen, but I have not had much swelling at all. The polar ice machine is the best thing ever, allowing me to stop all the pain meds I might have needed for longer.

I’m so happy I made the choice for Resurfacing , and thankful for this site and the personal stories full of helpful information. I have read and re-read the stories of early post op so many times and found them invaluable.

Rn2md

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
Sounds like you’re doing great. I still use the sock device in the hip kit for socks. But it feels like I’m getting close to not needing that anymore.

I still use the Polar care ice machine occasionally after workouts even after 6.5 weeks, to prevent any swelling that might crop up. It’s soothing too.

MelL

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 08:27:39 PM »
That is good to know as far as the ice machine Rn2md & how long I might be using it. I wondered about that.

I also probably should have gotten the hip kit, but someone gave me a grabber, so I didn’t.  I used a yoga band for a leg lifter just for a few days, but thought I wouldn’t need anything else. Usually I don’t wear socks at home in Texas in the spring unless I’m working out. Wrong!! Feet get gold when your sitting on ice!

rag33

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2019, 04:16:29 AM »
Isn't it amazing how you instantly feel better? I'm almost 6 months out and back to running a little. And I just can't believe how amazing I feel and how awful I felt before and especially the incredible amount of pain I was living with. Each day will get better and better until you start forgetting you have a new hip!

The shoes were a long process for me. I could only get a sock on and tie a shoe (in a weird position) at 3 months. Even now, I have a bit of trouble because I don't have full external rotation of my hip yet.
Right Conserve+, November 21, 2018, Dr. De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat