+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One + year hip resurfacing questions  (Read 782 times)

claudia

One + year hip resurfacing questions
« on: May 26, 2019, 04:59:10 PM »
Hi Everyone! I had hip resurfacing with Dr. Gross in March of 2018.  It was an unexpected slow recovery with being on crutches for 10 weeks, which really threw me for a loop, but all is well now and life has gotten back to normal.  I can hardly remember how BAD my hip actually was. 
Absolutely no pain and really good flexibility.  I've had 2 issues that have never resolved and I suppose because I am no longer in the severe pain I had pre-surgery, I've just ignored it.  I still have swelling in my entire leg on the operated side (no pain) and ever since the surgery, I've had a "lump" or cyst at the incision site that has never resolved making it difficult to lie on that side, still.  I went to a physical therapist to do my 1 year evaluation and she noticed the swelling in my leg and she said the "lump" is definitely not scar tissue.  It felt like some sort of cyst.  Now the swelling is not really bad but when active, I notice it.  Early on, after the initial surgery, I had swelling which Nancy said will resolve but it hasn't.   I'm getting xrays next week to send to Dr. Gross and hopefully no issues.  Just wondering if anyone here has had similar issues?
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

blinky

Re: One + year hip resurfacing questions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 07:06:20 AM »
Maybe a seroma? I didn't have one, but a friend who got a THR did. Hers was big enough it interfered with movement. I think she got it drained and moved on.

Swelling? I have one side that still swells from time to time. It is very subtle, but I can tell. Swimming seems to help, maybe because of the body position and the uniform pressure all around the leg.

claudia

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 11:09:28 AM »
Thanks Blinky,
Yes my swelling is subtle and I notice it most when Im active, playing tennis or walking at fast pace at a distance.
I think you are right about a seroma.
Thanks
Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

blinky

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 01:02:42 AM »
Ever tried lymphatic drainage or massage?

Okay so I haven't either, not really. I do a half hearted self massage sometimes. My H lost some lymph nodes in his leg to cancer and so has to stay on top of his leg swelling and 1) goes for periodic lymphatic massages by an expert and 2) wears compression hose when he flies. Just a thought.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat