+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Decisions Decisions  (Read 1882 times)

Anthony J

Decisions Decisions
« on: September 02, 2019, 04:12:25 PM »
Hello All,

I'm new to this, but am very impressed with this website.  I found out about it through a friend who had a HR 9 years ago with Dr. Gross.  I'm scheduled for bilateral THR in November with a local surgeon, but this was scheduled before I found out about HR.r  I was told that I would have no restrictions other than running.  I'm a runner so this was not great news.  I have subsequently sent in a package with my x rays to Dr. Gross.  Most health care people in my area (Maine) say that I should have the surgery done locally for many good reasons. I'm waiting to hear from Dr. Gross, but from what I have read about HR, I'm encouraged that I may be able to run again if I am a candidate for a HR.  Only my left hip really bothers me with pain, but my x-rays show that both hips look identical.  The local surgeon suggested that I do both to get it over with, and only deal with one recovery period. He has done many THR with great success, and only one dislocation.  I'm an active 55 year old, and enjoy lots of activities. My favorite is running so the idea of not being able to run again is a tough one for me.  The more research that I do tells me that HR would be a great way to go if I'm a candidate.  I don't see myself doing another Marathon, but it would be nice to have the option to run a few shorter distances again. The only down side to a HR vs THR for me is traveling to get this done, and additional expense of this route.  My gut tells me that it would be worth the added hassles of travel.  My Dr. friends point out that should I have complications, it is much easier to deal with this locally, however the risk for this seems very low.  So my thoughts are that the benefits of a HR for me over a THR out way the small risk associated with having a complication from having a procedure done out of town.  I think the complication rate for Dr. Gross is less than 1%. I look forward to having this discussion with Dr. Gross, and looking for some insight from all of you who have faced a very similar dilemma.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tony

Ernie

Re: Decisions Decisions
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 04:25:05 PM »
Tony,

I have had both hips resurfaced, the second with Dr. Gross, and have been able to return to regular running.  I did both procedures as an outpatient and had no complications.  I traveled to South Carolina and it was worth it.  If you want to run, hip resurfacing is the way to go.

Ernie
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 04:26:28 PM by Ernie »
Right Hip Resurfaced - Wright Conserve Plus, April 1, 2011 by Dr. Kress, Atlanta, GA

Left Hip Resurfaced - Biomet, May 4, 2015 by Dr. Gross, Columbia, SC

Anthony J

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
Thanks for your input Ernie, hate to not have the option to run.  I was training for the Marine Corps Marathon this fall, and just could not deal with the pain anymore.  My daughter is taking my bib, and this will be her first marathon.  Nothing like crossing the finish line after running 26.2 miles.  Not looking to do another one, but maybe I will have the option again?

Tony

ahausheer

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »
Don't worry about distance of the surgery from your house. Many people either fly or are driven long distances 1-4 days after surgery.  I flew from California to see Dr. Brooks in Cleveland, and 3 days post op, flew home.

If you explore resurfacing more, and you investigate the success rates of the better more experienced surgeons, you will see that resurfacing is superior to THR in almost all aspects. There are many hardcore runners and other high impact users with resurfacings.

Philbrd

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 10:29:51 AM »
Hi Tony,
I had both hips done 7 months ago with Dr. Gross.   I was also a runner - I have been doing a lot of walking, hiking, kayaking, gym and hips feel great.  I was in your shoes a year ago.  I am from NH and got the same recommendation from my local doc.  In fact, one Dr. near the seacoast said i I was crazy tl do this procedure.  I did them both the same week (Mon & Wed) and then flew back to NH on the Sunday.  Its been an improvement every week.   I am not sure about running - mostly because I've found other things I enjoy more.
Dan

Anthony J

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »
Hey Phil,

Thanks for your input, a very similar situation indeed.  It's nice to get your feedback, I like the road less travelled anyway, and this just helps me with deciding to go to SC. I think I'm all in for HR, just waiting on the call from Dr. Gross at this point.  Swimming, and biking seem to be hip friendly, and if you get the urge to run again you still have the option down the road.

Best,

Tony

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:17:20 PM »
Hi Tony
Welcome to Hip Talk.
Dr. Gross is one of the very best hip resurfacing surgeons. You will get to talk to many of his patients here.
I hope you are a candidate and can return to running and all the activities that you love.  Dr. Gross will call you and talk about your problems and offer a solution, hopefully hip resurfacing.
Most people have to travel to have a hip resurfacing since there are not a lot of experienced hip resurfacing surgeons.
I wish you the best and look forward to your posts.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Saf57

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 01:39:44 PM »
Tony--Gross is a great surgeon, he did one of my hips. Other options if you want to stay in the northeast would be Drs. Su or Marwin in NYC.

Joe_CA

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 06:34:24 PM »
Hi Tony,

I think your consideration for hip resurfacing is the right one. You are also in contact with one of the best HR surgeons available (I'm a previous Dr. Gross patient). Since you are a runner, you need to ask Dr. Gross some questions prior to making your decision.

During my initial phone consultation with Dr. Gross, he asked me specifically how many miles I would typically run (per run, per week, etc.). I must have written down "running" as one of my activities. When I told him I merely ran sporadically (no more than a couple of miles at most per run) simply in order to keep in shape, he said something to the effect: "Oh, okay, that's fine.". He then stated that "not all his patients could return to running". I took that to mean a typical running athlete who runs 5Ks, 10Ks, etc. Since I don't fall into this category, I made no further inquiries.

I believe you need to ask Dr. Gross some additional questions regarding his personal observations of his running patients. I'd ask him what is his estimate of the percentage of patients who couldn't return to running, and what he believes is the common cause. I'd also ask him what you could do pre and post surgery to increase your chances.

Having said that, I still believe having HR is your best chance to return to your sport of choice. And keep in mind there are many, many ex patients here of Dr. Gross and other experienced surgeons who have returned to running. There is a fellow bilateral patient like me who underwent surgeries with Dr. Gross several years ago. "blinky" is her handle and she has a successfully returned to running. You may want to read her stories.

Good luck.

Joe
Bilateral patient
Dr. Gross
December 12, 14 2016
Biomet (uncemented)

Anthony J

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 08:53:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for your insight, I'm taking this all in.  This forum has been really helpful to me. :) I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Tony

moe

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 08:55:04 PM »
Hi Tony, Dr Marchand in Rhode Island is an excellent HR surgeon. 4 hour drive from Portland. Trained by Dr Su, there is a long wait, high demand. I recently posted a 10 year report on here if you are interested in that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 06:48:40 AM by moe »
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Tri Hard Alan

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 04:10:17 AM »
Lots of people on here that have had HR and successfully returned to running, including myself. I personally know someone who has even returned to Ultra Marathons.

I am UK based so no input on Dr Cross but whoever you see I would question the decision to do both hips. If you have 0 pain on one side I would be inclined to do that another time, if required at all. But get a second opinion on this.

Good luck!

Anthony J

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 07:52:51 AM »
I will check out your posts, thanks. One of my questions to the Doctor will be given that both hips have advanced arthritis, but only the left one is painful perhaps I should wait to do the right one?  I don't see myself returning to a lot of running, I've done a couple of marathons, but training for one is very time consuming.  I've been spending more time in the pool and doing some open water swimming events.  The open water swimming is getting a little cold now, so back to the pool. I always feel great after swimming!  It's a little more work to get to the pool, but it is worth it. The hip issue is a good excuse for me to back off from running.  HR I'm hoping will give me the opportunity down the road to do some shorter running events should I get the urge. I'm still waiting to hear from Dr. Gross.

moe

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 07:58:19 AM »
When Dr Marchand examined me he said the left hip is just behind the right in damage, might as well do them both at the same time. One surgery, one recovery. I was 56 at the time.
Bi-lateral, BHR, Dr Marchand. 7-13-09

Rn2md

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 10:03:07 PM »
Hey Anthony
I used Dr. Gross and am just shy of 6 months out. I’ve returned to all activities except running and weighted squats. But that’s mainly out of respect for the post op guidelines. Actually I cheated and tried light weighted smith machine squats at about 3 and 1/2 months and did fine. I do still get mild soreness intermittently on the operated hip after a day or days of heavier use, but nothing requiring medication to deal with. I believe it is still internally healing though, and will be for at least 1 year.
All in all, I think it’s a great operation to help ultimately recover at least some of the activities that one may have had to give up due to OA pain.
My full recovery story is listed under the Dr. Gross section if interested.
You’ll find many need to travel for a resurfacing by a renowned surgeon. (And you don’t want anything less) So I would view the travel component as part of the overall cost of the procedure.
Good luck. I think Gross is a great surgeon.

Anthony J

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 08:03:34 AM »
Thanks so much for your input, its been really helpful hearing from so many with your stories.  Before I found this website, I had a friend who I spoke to at a wedding.  I was telling him my hip issues, and he told me I needed to check out this website.  He too went to see Dr. Gross 9 years ago, and is doing very well.  Prior to seeing him. I was headed down the THR path.  Still not sure how this will play out, but I'm encouraged by so many great stories.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2019, 08:57:28 AM »
Rn2md   I have your story posted with the Dr. Gross Stories on the main website  https://surfacehippy.info/rn2mds-hip-resurfacing-with-dr-gross-2019/    I try to collect the stories on Hip Talk to put on the main site under the surgeon used.  It is a little easier to see all the stories indexed there.   https://surfacehippy.info/category/hip-resurfacing-stories/dr-gross/
I am always happy to post stories when they are sent to me along with any updates.

Good Luck on your recovery.
Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Rn2md

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2019, 08:23:41 PM »
Ok. Great!
Hopefully, this helps others with their decisions, as others’ stories helped with mine.

jimbone

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2019, 10:04:54 PM »
Hi Tony-

I am a happy and grateful bilateral Dr. Pritchett success and wish to encourage you to move forward with this and regain your life.  My surgeon's preference is an 8 week interval between surgeries which I found worked well for me.  My left hip was the worse of the two measured by imaging and symptoms so it was first.  Both had shown advanced OA but the left was described as advanced and serious.  Few symptoms and only occasional in the right hip pre surgery.  Almost immediately after left hip surgery right hip failed quickly.  I was walking with a cane in about 5-7 days after first procedure and by week 3-4 the right hip began to deteriorate and show deep painful symptoms, enough so new imaging was needed to see if it was still a candidate for HR and not THR.  I scheduled the second surgery after consultation and went back in for a second time again with great results.  I found healing one hip at a time right for me as I had a semi working joint to support the other while it healed.  I can't quite visualize how i would have done with both hips down at the same time- too daunting for me but others [Gross patients] have done exceedingly well with it to hear their stories so it can be done.  Either way- this operation is a life changer and saver- to be free of the restrictions of OA is hard to describe.  You'll be in good hands with your surgeon should you go with Gross- best of luck.

Anthony J

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 07:29:35 AM »
Thanks for you input jimbone,

Your hips sound similar to mine, both hips only my left has pain now.  Although I take 15 mg of meloxicam a day to function.  Every time I try not to take one, I have a hard time sleeping at night. The x-rays look nearly identical.  It is amazing how quickly hips go down hill. Although I think it is like a slow progression until the last little piece of cartilage gets knocked off.  My unscientific assessment. I'm ready to get going on HR, still waiting.  Tom Petty said it well "The waiting is the hardest part"

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear