+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How to find a good PT  (Read 2873 times)

CITY2SOUTH

How to find a good PT
« on: August 20, 2008, 11:59:25 AM »
Didn't know if I should start a new topic but was wondering this. I am interested in starting PT but my surgeon is not local so he has no one to recommend. My surgeon does not require PT but I am feeling that it would be beneficial to my recovery.

What questions do I ask and how do I go about finding a good PT?

Thanks,
Lisa
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
How to find a good PT
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:07:11 PM »
Hi Lisa - I would highly recommend PT, and if your surgeon writes a prescription your insurance should cover it. Mine did. I'm surprised he doesn't urge you. It's very helpful for range of motion recovery and strength building.
You may find that the big health care provider in your area has a network of PT clinics. I looked for sports medicine rehab clinics. Yellow pages is always a good bet.
Good luck.
- Tom

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
How to find a good PT
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:09:42 PM »
Hi Lisa

I just went to my local hospital and found out about PT.  You can also look in the phone book.  If you don't like the PT people, choose another one.

The best was is to ask people in your town, but that is not always easy. Ask you local family doctor.

Also make sure you don't use a PT that is use to doing athletes in the early stages of recovery.  Dr. De Smet warned me about that.  You don't want to be pushed or do anything too difficult that would hurt.  If it hurts - don't do it.

I did give you your own topic.  It is a good topic.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

Re: How to find a good PT
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 10:42:11 PM »
Tom & Pat,

Thanks for the info.
 I know from reading many of your posts Pat not to use a PT that specializes in athletes and Tom your progress posts just amaze me. I do have a script and have great insurance. I didn't think to call my family doctor. Thanks!  I looked through the yellow pages and called a few places. I wanted to focus on finding a place that included aquatic therapy. I probably don't even need the PT but the discipline will do me good.lol. Hopefully I'll be able to start next week.
Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat