+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: dual mobility next best thing if not HR candidate?  (Read 798 times)

abigel

dual mobility next best thing if not HR candidate?
« on: October 30, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »
Hi all,
I was recently turned down for resurfacing by Dr Scott Ball, not surprisingly since I am 62 and female although my activity level is similar to an averagely fit 40 year old.

As a yogi I would like to keep my flexibility, plus I want to learn to surf having moved recently to San Diego, plus get back to some light running (under 3 miles) and moderate weightlifting. And much more, but those are the most important and controversial.

He suggested a dual mobility device would give me what I want.

This is better than the other surgeon I interviewed who does superpath with Microport device with maximum ROM of only 137 degees, and that surgeon tightens up ligaments for flexible people so they don't dislocate! basically I would lose my flexibility to the limits of a limited device. That guy gives the same device to everyone! Plus says if you choose to run it will wear out quickly. Plus, microport has had many recalls, is made in China, and isn't one of the major brands. Would you trust it?

So I will ask Dr Ball if he can use a nickel free dual mobility (I heard biomet has one) since my Orthopedic Analysis tested positive for nickel, negative for everything else.

Does that sound like a good safe plan? Even though he probably doesn't use that particular dual mobility device day in day out, he has mad resurfacing skills and an stellar reputation.

Have any of you had similar? instead or resurfacing, a dual mobility device, and found it to be satisfactory for the level of activities I want to do for the next 10-15 years? (more typical of 40 somethings than 60 somethings)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 04:45:11 PM by abigel »

hernanu

Re: dual mobility next best thing if not HR candidate?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 04:36:55 PM »
You might want to send your xrays to other surgeons listed on the web site, such as Dr. Gross or Dr. Su.

I believe they will give you an opinion on a resurfacing based on that without charging.

You may need to travel, but having experienced two resurfacings, your surgeon doesn't need to be close by.

I initially went to my surgeon (who is an hour's drive away) a week after my procedure(s) and then six months. Six months later there was another visit, then a year, two years and now I have four year visits.

So close proximity is not necessary in my opinion, it's more valuable to find a successful surgeon with a lot of experience.  I have heard here that Dr. Gross has been very successful with smaller women.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

abigel

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »
Thanks, Yes I had considered doing that, but the metal sensitivity rules out Dr Gross who uses MOM, right?
Basically I cannot risk having metal on metal.
Then after reading and listening to all of Dr Pritchetts info apparently the ceramic resurfacing devices don't fail, but their longevity depends on bone quality.
Currently I think my bone density is normal, it was last tested 3 years ago.
But it isn't guaranteed to stay that way. The risk of femur neck fracture in post menopausal women getting resurfacing seems higher than I want to deal with.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:00:12 PM by abigel »

catfriend

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
Have you consulted with Dr. Pritchett? He performs HR on women, and has a device, the Synovo Preserve, that is ceramicized titanium with highly cross linked polyeythelyene. There is no metal.

Check out his website at seattlejointsurgeon.com

He is in Seattle, so only a short flight up the coast.

catfriend

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 04:42:25 PM »
I see that you considered consulting with Dr. P, but didn't. Before ruling out his device, I advise a consult anyway. They're free, and you won't have to travel.

jimbone

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 01:31:43 AM »
Regarding a femoral neck fracture.  One of Dr. Pritchetts published papers digs into the subject.  A leading contributing factor is surgical technique.  When reshaping the femur, improper adjustments to the instrument can introduce a stress riser notching occurrence than adds greatly to femoral fracture.  As a patient, during an early consultation prior to surgery I asked about this and was affirmatively and technically assured that that particular obstacle in the learning curve of hip re surfacing was something he's looked into deeply, had become aware of the challenges and overcome the technical difficulties with strong statistical results. 

It would be worth your while to consult with Dr. Pritchett regarding your options.  I would be surprised if dual mobility devices wasn't something he could offer as well.  I'd trust his orthopedic skill on any joint or device he'd say would be most likely to deliver.   Best wishes.

jimbone

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 01:35:15 AM »
May be Saddlepal will see this and comment.  She has some similar concerns with neck fracture and bone density that she's overcome.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear